Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Whats props you using and why.

What props you using

• QR props

Votes: 40 53.3%
  • Self tightening props with lock

Votes: 32 42.7%
  • Others

Votes: 3 4.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I am using QR props the stock one come with my inspire more than hundred flight still serve me well... but i see some of the qr props flyoff .. anyone have this problem? Please share

My Inspire came with the QR props and have seen numerous post on some Facebook groups of the thin metal head breaking as well as just flying off.
Has me becoming paranoid and thinking of calling the dealer that I purchased it from and getting the old props and prop locks sent to me.
The dealer I got my Inspire from gives outstanding customer service and I am sure will do the right thing in honoring my concerns.
By the way, the dealer Is Peter Ellin of Acesdeals.biz and as I said is outstanding in customer service.

Last edited:
Good to heard u have no issue on ur qr props .. i belive if you really threat it carefully the qr props shall be fawless.. but only change it onces if your hit ur props hard... at malaysia.. no people complaint about the qr props... most of them upgrade to qr... including my friends

im using the original self tightening props without locks and have no issues. all issues with these props are due to user error and not tightening them enough. Its somewhat deceiving if youre a novice since the motors turn so easily. you have to hold the motor and make sure the prop is tight and youll have no issues. all prop spin off issues are due to not holding the motor while tightening the prop which results in a very loose prop that can come off during flight. When properly installed youll have zero issues with the original self tightening props without using the locks. Ive over 100 hours of flight with them and not one problem and i dont use the locks. just recently received my complementary QR props but havent used them yet so i cannot comment on those.

im using the original self tightening props without locks and have no issues. all issues with these props are due to user error and not tightening them enough. Its somewhat deceiving if youre a novice since the motors turn so easily. you have to hold the motor and make sure the prop is tight and youll have no issues. all prop spin off issues are due to not holding the motor while tightening the prop which results in a very loose prop that can come off during flight. When properly installed youll have zero issues with the original self tightening props without using the locks. Ive over 100 hours of flight with them and not one problem and i dont use the locks. just recently received my complementary QR props but havent used them yet so i cannot comment on those.

Reverse emf (dynamic) breaking CAN loosen the props in certain circumstances - The locks were designed and supplied foc for a reason. I do not understand why you would not utilize something that adds an element of redundancy to your platform.

Reactions: lrh111
Reverse emf (dynamic) breaking CAN loosen the props in certain circumstances - The locks were designed and supplied foc for a reason. I do not understand why you would not utilize something that adds an element of redundancy to your platform.
cause they are unnecessary and an extra PITA step if you break down and put it together every time you fly. Ive flown lots for over 6 months with zero issues, the only issues ive heard of are due to improperly tightening them before initial flight. Ive flown many flights never using them with no issues at all, performing lots of quick direction changing maneuvers, there is no maneuver you can make that will cause them to spin backwards and loosen them to where they will come off if you tighten them properly while holding the motor. Ive never heard of anyone whos done this have one come lose and ive personally flown over a hundred hours with no issues.

cause they are unnecessary and an extra PITA step if you break down and put it together every time you fly. Ive flown lots for over 6 months with zero issues, the only issues ive heard of are due to improperly tightening them before initial flight. Ive flown many flights never using them with no issues at all, performing lots of quick direction changing maneuvers, there is no maneuver you can make that will cause them to spin backwards and loosen them to where they will come off if you tighten them properly while holding the motor. Ive never heard of anyone whos done this have one come lose and ive personally flown over a hundred hours with no issues.

I do break the Inspire down and put it together every time I fly and I fly commercially with CAA certification. The extra time putting the prop locks on gives me an opportunity to check the aircraft over as I am going through my pre flight checklist (which is a requirement and mandatory for commercial flying).
I am assuming if you were going on vacation and sitting on the aircraft waiting to take off and your pilot said to himself "Oh, checking the hydraulic pressure is such a PITA lets just get airborne cos I've never had a problem before" you wouldn't be too happy?
Also, the fact you mention maneuvers causing the props to rotate backwards shows you do not understand the flight dynamics that cause the issue in the first place. It is sudden deceleration that causes the props to loosen not the 'props spinning backwards'. The reverse emf breaking force via the propulsion system developed for the Inspire means each motor can go from circa 9,000 rpm to virtually nothing in a very short time span. This puts tremendous reverse thrust on the threads holding the props onto the motor shaft and in SOME instances will loosen them. DJI specifically engineered the prop locks to prevent this eventuality and as I said in my earlier post why would you not want to add a layer of redundancy to a 3kg flying machine that potentially can kill someone if it hit them falling after losing a prop?

I do break the Inspire down and put it together every time I fly and I fly commercially with CAA certification. The extra time putting the prop locks on gives me an opportunity to check the aircraft over as I am going through my pre flight checklist (which is a requirement and mandatory for commercial flying).
I am assuming if you were going on vacation and sitting on the aircraft waiting to take off and your pilot said to himself "Oh, checking the hydraulic pressure is such a PITA lets just get airborne cos I've never had a problem before" you wouldn't be too happy?
Also, the fact you mention maneuvers causing the props to rotate backwards shows you do not understand the flight dynamics that cause the issue in the first place. It is sudden deceleration that causes the props to loosen not the 'props spinning backwards'. The reverse emf breaking force via the propulsion system developed for the Inspire means each motor can go from circa 9,000 rpm to virtually nothing in a very short time span. This puts tremendous reverse thrust on the threads holding the props onto the motor shaft and in SOME instances will loosen them. DJI specifically engineered the prop locks to prevent this eventuality and as I said in my earlier post why would you not want to add a layer of redundancy to a 3kg flying machine that potentially can kill someone if it hit them falling after losing a prop?

you misread or misunderstood, i said there is NOT ANY maneuver that will EVER make them spin backwards. If you properly tighten them in the first place they will NEVER loosen, as proven through multiple hours of flight experience. I understand your thinking on the matter and I did use them a few times when i first got them out of fear of crashing my $3500 UAV but after i realized they were completely unnecessary if you properly tighten the props I stopped using them and have never had an issue. I checked the props for tightness before every flight for the first 20-30 flights but as they were never loose ive since stopped doing so.

I leave my inspire intact and flight ready most of the time nowdays and sit it on the backseat of my F350 where it rests comfortably uncased with props and camera installed ready to fly at a moments notice. I used to break it down and put it in the factory case and then have to put it back together before every flight but i got sick of the time consuming process and having previously owned a P2 vision+ that was flight ready out of the case its a major gripe of mine about the inspires factory case(junk IMO since it only fits with no props or camera in travel mode. Maybe its just me and the older firmware but without the perfect proper flat surface entering travel mode is a crapshoot PITA that more often than not results in my inspire entering landing gear raised flight mode which causes the bottom of it to hit the floor).

Im too cheap to buy the RTF inspire pelican case for $500+ yet, and ive seen an awesome custom case mod job using a $50 husky tool box wheeled case from home depot with custom foam inserts(they cost a little extra) which i plan on utilizing in the near future but since ive had no issues for months with it on my backseat with props and camera installed ready to fly and the nearest home depot is 60 miles from me im not in a huge hurry to complete this project.

The prop locks were designed and distributed simply due to user error that caused multiple complaints to dji support and are an easy fix for stupid users, plain and simple. 100% not necessary if you properly tighten the props initially, guaranteed. If you have a phantom and an inspire youll notice the difference in resistance when tightening the props as well as the fact that the phantom comes with a tool to hold the motor while you tighten the prop and the inspire doesnt.

I dont know if this is true of all inspires as i only have one but I notice that two of the props from both sets of 4 that came with it spin on easy to full tightness and the other two have way more resistance about halfway tight which requires you hold the motor with one hand and tighten the prop correctly with your other hand. If you dont know what youre doing you would think they are tight when really they are only about halfway on and then youre gonna have prop spin off issues for sure.

The self tightening props are discontinued and unavailable, at least here in the UK so unless you have a stock of them you have to trust in the QR system. Considering how many thousands of Inspire 1's are out there using the QR props there really are very few substantiated reports of problems.

Reactions: George Binns
The self tightening props are discontinued and unavailable, at least here in the UK so unless you have a stock of them you have to trust in the QR system. Considering how many thousands of Inspire 1's are out there using the QR props there really are very few substantiated reports of problems.
Back when i bought my inspire 1 you couldnt even get spare props, though it came with two full sets of 4, 8 total, and though i havent checked after the first two months of owning it cause ive never needed any im not sure you could ever get any extra oem ones. There were aftermarket CF ones which some people reported as being awesome and others reported as being total garbage but im still on my last original set. Had a crash and dog tried to eat it on take off which wrecked the original 4. got my QR set not too long ago but havent tried them out yet as i leave my bird fully assembled all the time. Ive heard nothing bad about the QR props yet and to be clear I was talking about the original self tightening ones in my previous posts.

I have squirreled away sufficient for my needs/life of my Inspire :)

Reactions: damoncooper
I'm using the self tightening props with locks...I bought some spares and will stick with this system.

How do I know when I should change out props? I've had vague information about this.

Thanks.

Redundancy in critical aircraft parts is a good thing. I for one am sticking with the original self-tightening props (still available in the DJI Store for $10 here: https://store.dji.com/product/inspire-1345-props) plus locks.

I never have to worry about losing a prop.
Alas, this is not an option for us Canucks... Any chance someone wants to play middle-man for me and order some? I'll compensate you with whatever costs associated and a small 3D printed item...I sell Stratasys commercially so I can do anything up to 8" on our printers :D

You can order self-tightening props directly from DJI...you can't do this from Canada?

Nope, the site geoblocks me. And i'd have to assume they'll be blocked from putting the order in?

I have the replacement QR ones ready to be picked up from my dealer, but based on what i've read i'd prefer to stick with the screw on ones and the manual prop lock.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaricruzRa