Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Why carpet is a "bad thing"

Reaction score
I know the manual states do not go into or out of travel mode on carpet, only use a smith surface, but it did not explain why.

I thought it probably had something to do with it snagging on the carpet when the legs move in and out while it is also moving up an down.

Last night I did an IMU calibration for the first time and at the end attempted to go into travel mode, now wait for it...

It was on carpet!!!

I was convinced my Inspire was defected, it kept retracting the legs so much that the legs go up in the air, resting the weight on the main body. I tried several times with the same results. I even tried to fix it into the case that way (will not fit). Clearly my new Inspire needs a new alignment, but I do not remember that being some sort of calibration step.

The it dawned on me "not on carpet". I tried it on top of the case and it worked perfect! Apparently it uses the sonar and can not see the carpet.

Now, it would have make sense to explain that when it stated "thou shall not...".

Now that I understand why, I now have a question. What other surfaces cause a problem? Grass? Sand? Gravel? Glass?

I am also thinking I should have some sort of launching pad. Any thoughts?

Holding it in your hand also generates the same result.

That makes sense as well.

The other thing that had me going for quite awhile is how to get it out of travel mode. The manual says "Toggle the Transformation Switch up and down at least four times." Did not work. Tried again, still did not work. Tried up and down about six times, no go. How about eight? Nope not eight.

Found the option under DJI GO app. That works!!!

So what's with the controller not working? Tried it several more times. Finally I did it quickly out of frustration. That works! I was doing it deliberately counting the clicks, turns out that is not fast enough.

I know the manual states do not go into or out of travel mode on carpet, only use a smith surface, but it did not explain why.

I thought it probably had something to do with it snagging on the carpet when the legs move in and out while it is also moving up an down.

Last night I did an IMU calibration for the first time and at the end attempted to go into travel mode, now wait for it...

It was on carpet!!!

I was convinced my Inspire was defected, it kept retracting the legs so much that the legs go up in the air, resting the weight on the main body. I tried several times with the same results. I even tried to fix it into the case that way (will not fit). Clearly my new Inspire needs a new alignment, but I do not remember that being some sort of calibration step.

The it dawned on me "not on carpet". I tried it on top of the case and it worked perfect! Apparently it uses the sonar and can not see the carpet.

Now, it would have make sense to explain that when it stated "thou shall not...".

Now that I understand why, I now have a question. What other surfaces cause a problem? Grass? Sand? Gravel? Glass?

Friend transforming into

It was on carpet!!!

It has something to do with the optic in relationship 2 landing gear position. Other than snagging on the landing gear long carpet is that carpet does not give a good return and can make the Drone think that it is off the ground. Simply place the Drone on a tile floor and place the landing gear in take off mode and then in travel mode. Your drone will then return 2 a normal travel configuration. I have a small sheet of plywood approximately 2 feet square that I use as my takeoff and landing pad as well as my configuration platform. Remember when you go into travel configuration to remove your camera and have the protective cap in its place

I had numerous problems but found if I put the i1 on top of my i1 case it works 98% of the time so that's what I do now.

Brian

I have the Tacoma with a bed cover that locks so I can protect my tools. It also serves as a great takeoff and Landing platform as well as a reconfiguration platform. People go crazy when they see me put my Inspire on the back of the truck, then configure from travel mode 2 flight configuration. I then attached camera and take off from the bed of my truck. Since I have changed the setting to manual on the landing gear I do what is referred to as a Wheels light take off. That really gets them every time. I also land on the bed cover and people really love that too. I have landed it on the bed cover in some pretty high winds and have received Applause on touchdown. I have actually seen and heard people hold their breath until the time of touchdown and engine shutdown. The drawback is that it scratches my bed cover.

Sounds like a great idea I have a million of those things laying around unfortunately I don't have any that are big enough to cover the area required by the Inspire when in travel mode. not even one came with our flat screen is big enough. I am curious as to what happens as it transforms into flight mode and gathers up underneath the Drone and becomes closer to the sensors

You place it right under the sonar.
I did not think of that. I assume you are using it only to take it out of travel mode, or to put it in travel mode, with the engines not running.

Simple solution, but I expect even a piece of paper, check list, whatever, would accomplish the same thing.

Problem with using the inspire case itself is that it does tend to slide as the legs go up or down. It could slip off the case while transforming because of this.

Great solution, thanks for sharing.

Reactions: GuyNamedLindsey
I did not think of that. I assume you are using it only to take it out of travel mode, or to put it in travel mode, with the engines not running.

Simple solution, but I expect even a piece of paper, check list, whatever, would accomplish the same thing.

Problem with using the inspire case itself is that it does tend to slide as the legs go up or down. It could slip off the case while transforming because of this.

I tried using various sheets of paper and it was very spotty but worked less than 50% of the time for me. The case has worked almost every time

I tried several different types of paper under the VPS system and they almost never worked for me so I've given up on that. I can't say that some manor of pattern on the paper might work or that some fabrics might work but I know for me the case works like 98% of the time and I always have that with me so...

But, when using the case you do need to keep an eye on it while transforming but I've found that quite doable.

One thing I will try is some thin rubber mats that I plan to use as a launch/landing pad out in the field. I did a bunch of flights in southern Utah in April and taking off and landing in the dirt makes for a dusty bird and camera so I picked up a couple thin rubber sheets with patterned top and about 4' by 4' to serve as a take off and landing pad to keep the dust off things and hopefully it will function for transforming.

Brian

It was on carpet!!!

I have had issues with the landing gear on gravel and sand but you shouldn't be taking off from these materials as they can damage your props and knock them out of balance over time.

Transforming my previosu Inspire1 to travel mode went well on any carpet. My problems started when I got new Inspire1 Pro (v2) - I could not make transform to travel mode almost on any kind of soft mats. I usualy transform the aircraft on opened rear door of my SUV car (that lower part of door which opens down to be a table) which is carpeted in fine smooth synthetic material, on which aircraft legs slide very gently. I never had any issue with original I1, but my new I1 Pro cannot get into travel mode while on that same carpeted door - it always end up on its belly while legs end up high in their fly position. I had same problem with I1 Pro many times even when trying to transfor it on I1 case which is of hard black surface.

Finally, I solved this by using regular roll of toilet paper which usually sits in the car trunk - I unroll few feets of the paper and put it over carpet or over case, directly under the aircraft belly. In that situation aircrarf transforms perfectly. Therefore, while I can not be sure, personally I believe that "unsuccessful transforming on carpet" issue does not have anything to do with VPS (that lens on the belly) but with ultrasonic altimeter (that sender/receiver pair next to VPS lens), I believe that correct height for travel mode is adjusted by this ultrasonic altitude sensors. Nevertheless, I solved my problem with few feet of regular toilet paper ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wild2Game