Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Work around for app on older devices

Reaction score
I am currently running the Pilot App on a Nvidea Shield, but I have an ipad4 retina which would be nice to use on the second controller. The app doesn't support my tablet, but I hear murmurings that it is possible to do. (Seamens even started to post a solution on here yesterday, but the thread was locked..)

This what was posted -

"I found solution for me.
  • Download app with Itunes
  • for app go to Music>iTunes>iTunes Media>Mobile Applications
  • And then install it with ITools or Ifunbox"
I'm not sure how to get from iTunes>iTunes Media. Any help would be appreciated.

I can help as I have installed the app on the iPhone 5... (Looking to get a Phantom 3 without upgrading my phone or tablets)... Anyways what he means is in the
Top left corner of iTunes youll see a list of icons (Music, Movies, TV Shows, Apps, and 3 dots) click the Apps icon
Look for the DJI Pilot app that you should have downloaded through iTunes already,
Right click, show in Windows Explorer,
Copy and paste the .ipa file to your desktop,
Install that .ipa file through ifunbox (I think you need your phone to be jailbroken for this part, not sure on that)...

If you get this working let me know how it goes as he ipad 4 is running a slightly better chip as the iphone 5

And if someone with an inspire could test this out and let the rest of us know what works and what doesn't with the iPhone 5 or iPhone 5C (Both A6 chips) it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Iv had ifunbox installed for awhile and have never had any problems with it... Maybe it depends on what website you get it from as theres websites that add additional things to legit programs... The official website should be safe... www.i-funbox.com

Well I took the plunge & bought a new I-1 & it was delivered last weekend. I'm taking my time learning the systems "A LOT OF MOVING PARTS" as they say! But I'm very impressed with the craftsmanship,Excellent!
Now for the first challenge with my new "I-1" is not being able to use my iPad mini??
So I'm hoping that this possible fix will work, cause I just bought the iPad mini for my P2V+. I will report back after I try what you folks have kindly listed...
Moose

Well I took the plunge & bought a new I-1 & it was delivered last weekend. I'm taking my time learning the systems "A LOT OF MOVING PARTS" as they say! But I'm very impressed with the craftsmanship,Excellent!
Now for the first challenge with my new "I-1" is not being able to use my iPad mini??
So I'm hoping that this possible fix will work, cause I just bought the iPad mini for my P2V+. I will report back after I try what you folks have kindly listed...
Moose

I used the procedure listed by CashMoney18 and was able to load the app on my iPad Mini. Previously it would not load from the App Store. DJI told me that the Mini was not compatible with the system and that it had inadequate processing power for the app. Well, it appears that it does work. After loading with iFunbox it seems to work just like my iPhone 6. I have not tried it yet on my new bird, but hopefully will be brave enough to try it this weekend.

Has anyone else used the app with the outlawed iPad Mini? I'm interested to see since I can't buy another iPad anytime soon.

Hose A

I used the procedure listed by CashMoney18 and was able to load the app on my iPad Mini. Previously it would not load from the App Store. DJI told me that the Mini was not compatible with the system and that it had inadequate processing power for the app. Well, it appears that it does work. After loading with iFunbox it seems to work just like my iPhone 6. I have not tried it yet on my new bird, but hopefully will be brave enough to try it this weekend.

Has anyone else used the app with the outlawed iPad Mini? I'm interested to see since I can't buy another iPad anytime soon.

Hose A
Thats great news, when you say it worked, do you mean you tried the real time video with the quadcopter? I believe thats what most people were having trouble with in the earlier versions

Thats great news, when you say it worked, do you mean you tried the real time video with the quadcopter? I believe thats what most people were having trouble with in the earlier versions
Have not had a chance to try it on my I1 yet. Right now all I know is that I got the app to download to my Mini and appear to function when turned on. That in itself has been a major accomplishment because the App Store would not even allow me to download to the Mini. I'll try it on the bird when I get home (traveling now).

Ok Great! Also still looking for people to try/confirm if the iPhone 5/5c and the ipad 4 work... It seems as if these are the devices most likely to work with this work around... If someone with these devices could try this out and report back that would be great. You don't have to fly the copter, just try and see if the real time video works and any of the other features that could be tested on the ground would be great)

Devices in order of most likely to work to least likely to work:
iPad 4 - A6X chip
iPhone 5/5C - A6 chip
iPad Mini - A5 chip

The app seems to work everything with the iPad Mini, but the video quality sucks. At best it is intermittent. I chose to not attempt to fly with the mini because who knows what pitfalls lurk in the shadows. I will stay with my iPhone 6 and learn to live with it. :confused:

The app seems to work everything with the iPad Mini, but the video quality sucks. At best it is intermittent. I chose to not attempt to fly with the mini because who knows what pitfalls lurk in the shadows. I will stay with my iPhone 6 and learn to live with it. :confused:
That sucks... did you try switching the hardware decode option on? That might make it a bit more usable... Guess that rules out the A5 chip for now... Still looking for someone to try out the A6 chip (iPhone 5/5C) and the A6X chip (iPad 4)

That sucks... did you try switching the hardware decode option on? That might make it a bit more usable... Guess that rules out the A5 chip for now... Still looking for someone to try out the A6 chip (iPhone 5/5C) and the A6X chip (iPad 4)
I'll try switching the hardware decode option on and see what happens. Didn't know it might have anything to do with the performance. I know just enough about these things to be dangerous and am still on a steep learning curve.

I'll try switching the hardware decode option on and see what happens. Didn't know it might have anything to do with the performance. I know just enough about these things to be dangerous and am still on a steep learning curve.
No Joy! Didn't work. :eek: Actually seemed to make the picture look worse. Totally unusable. Guess I'll just have to stick with my iPhone 6 and my Nexus 7 tablet. It seems to work OK. :confused:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop