Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X5 4k footage on a racing razor

Reaction score
So my buddy wants to do a promotional video for his razor and I did some test footage for him over the weekend. (the camera operator had his first ever go at following it) this was shot at 4k 24 fps. just wanted to test out that FPS for it. The lens was also on manual focus ( the switch on the lens) I did that on accident and don't know if I should leave it for this Sunday or change it to auto. What do you guys recommend I do this following Sunday as far as settings? Should I go for the 4k 30FPS? I realize the shots were off due to not following the razor but we are going to plan out more shots this Sunday and his belt ended up breaking in only 20 minutes of riding.

I would shoot 1080p60 myself so you can slow it down if you like (always a benefit for action stuff). Your auto white balance also seems to be struggling with the constant movements, so I would lock that as well to a value that looks natural. You should probably leave it in manual focus and set it to infinity, which it would appear you have done since everything appears to be in focus.
Other than that I would shoot it in LOG mode for sure and turn the sharpness down a notch. Also your exposure is all over the place going from bright to dark, set it to something that covers you in neutral to bright light and you won't get over exposure in the white areas of the shot.
Shot wise, plan out some shots instead of getting it up there and zooming around like a madman. Gain some height/distance if you need, there is too much chasing which is resulting in quick camera movements that aren't doing any favours to the footage.

Reactions: Black Sky
Awesome thank you! Yea I'm going to turn down the gimble speed of the camera for him. And when you say to leave it on manual mode, are you talking about the actual switch on the lens itself or manual in the app? Because I had it on manual on the switch on the lens. (heard that was only for the DJI auto focus follow tool and i accidentally never changed it back to auto) I will deff shoot it on the white balance lock too, that sounds like it will help. Could you tell me what exactly "LOG" mode does too and why everyone seems to be shooting in that. I'm pretty sure I had it on landscape mode and it ups the sharpness a bit so maybe ill change that to the default. Other than that I really really appreciate the advice and helpful criticism. Hopefully Sunday I will be posting another one!

Awesome thank you! Yea I'm going to turn down the gimble speed of the camera for him. And when you say to leave it on manual mode, are you talking about the actual switch on the lens itself or manual in the app? Because I had it on manual on the switch on the lens. (heard that was only for the DJI auto focus follow tool and i accidentally never changed it back to auto) I will deff shoot it on the white balance lock too, that sounds like it will help. Could you tell me what exactly "LOG" mode does too and why everyone seems to be shooting in that. I'm pretty sure I had it on landscape mode and it ups the sharpness a bit so maybe ill change that to the default. Other than that I really really appreciate the advice and helpful criticism. Hopefully Sunday I will be posting another one!

Disclaimer: I don't actually own an X5 unit yet, still waiting for delivery, but it would stand to reason that if the lens is switched to manual it will not respond to inputs from the camera and rely on adjusting the focus ring. So you should put the lens on auto mode, and switch the mode in app to manual, allowing you to adjust focus through the app. Or you could leave both on manual and just set the focus ring to infinity.
LOG mode is desaturated so that you can adjust colours with more freedom in post. You will find if you shoot in this mode you can do a lot more with colour grading. If you aren't planning on colour grading the clips may as well just leave it in normal.
Regarding landscape mode, for sure do not use this for high speed stuff. You are getting a lot of sharpness grain because you are moving so fast and all the sharp little parts of the image (grass, trees) are ultra grainy. Put this into custom and set your sharpness to -1. You can add sharpening later but if your image is crap because of over sharpening done in camera you will not be able to fix that in the edit suite.

No it won't...
For some reason the 48 and 60fps have a wider FOV (dont know why but it has)... 4K is much harder to fly FPV because of this ...(DJI need to give a 48 or 60fps option in 4K)... when i did some tests there was 4 different FOV through the full range.. but... the difference between the 48 and 60fps and the rest was big... the 24 and 30fps has a much narrow'er FOV...

For some reason the 48 and 60fps have a wider FOV (dont know why but it has)... 4K is much harder to fly FPV because of this ...(DJI need to give a 48 or 60fps option in 4K)... when i did some tests there was 4 different FOV through the full range.. but... the difference between the 48 and 60fps and the rest was big... the 24 and 30fps has a much narrow'er FOV...
Ok well you are right I don't have my X5 in yet so I can't say one way or another.
What I can say from extensive camera operating experience, is that makes no sense.

With two operators you should be looking for much smoother control of the camera.

Try to mix the shots up a little bit. Position the inspire over a section of the track, dont move the inspire and wait for the car to go underneath......
Go up high and get a Nadiral view. leave the inspire up there for a couple of laps.

try and follow the Razor from behind on a straight.

I did quite like the earth shaking effect when the razor landed on one of the bass hits in the song. That was cool.

If you have trouble with white balance due to part of the footage being in the shade and part in the light. Lock the white balance. If you still have issues, be selective about which scenes follow which so that the change in white balance isnt so visible to the audience.

Ok well you are right I don't have my X5 in yet so I can't say one way or another.
What I can say from extensive camera operating experience, is that makes no sense.
I agree gruvpix... it makes no sense to me to... the X5 is a head scratcher...

Surely a narrower FOV woudl result in a less demanding data capture? maybe a tactic to make a less capable system look better?

There are other strange happening with the X5... i am finding this camera lens combination is not like a normal camera ... i will get a 12mm lens this week.. see how that goes...
That must be some sort of weird firmware issue because that makes no sense at all, I could see 4k being different... Maybe... but switching from 24p to 60p giving you wider field of view? Someone at DJI messed that up.
Also could potentially explain why some videos coming straight from the camera look kind of crappy, perhaps the full sensor is not being used until you switch to 60p

There are smaller change's in FOV throughout the settings.. but the one i showed you is the worst.. the FOV in 4K is really narrow .. i wonder if it meets the FOV advertised ?..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlberthaLo