Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X5s ugly grid lens flare when shooting into sun

Reaction score
When shooting my x5s into the sun I have been noticing this unacceptable grid in my shots that makes them unusable. My settings have been shooting 25mm lens (happens with all lenses), raw, rec709, 5.2k and 4k. Has anyone encountered this problem or is it just my camera sensor and I should reach out to dji?

Ungraded
Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 3.08.20 PM.png Graded
Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 3.07.05 PM.png Zoomed in
Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 3.01.45 PM.png

I don’t often shoot into the sun but seem to remember seeing the same grid pattern fleetingly on some footage I shot a few weeks ago as the I2 paned past the sun.

My guess would be that its a result of light saturating the cmos sensor. This might be revealing the manufacturing tolerances of the grid pattern used on the sensor due to the way the sensor is addressed as the data is read out.

I’m sure someone will have the full answer but my guess would be that your I2 may not be faulty.

My bet....you are stopped down too far. On all chips (I first saw this on my RED camera n consulted an expert) if you have a bright light source shinning directly in the lens and are stopped down too far, the finely focused light will bounce off the sensor, then the lens, then back to the sensor. So this is a great shot of your sensor pattern.

I thought it was an old wife’s tail so tested it. Sure enough, when stopped down to f8 or higher the problem starts to show.

So use nd filters. Also keep shutter speed at half your frame rate n the motion blur will help diffuse it.

When shooting my x5s into the sun I have been noticing this unacceptable grid in my shots that makes them unusable. My settings have been shooting 25mm lens (happens with all lenses), raw, rec709, 5.2k and 4k. Has anyone encountered this problem or is it just my camera sensor and I should reach out to dji?

Ungraded
View attachment 18690 Graded
View attachment 18691 Zoomed in
View attachment 18692

I would try using ProRes for Sunrise and Sunset. Although it is softer than h264 the colors and HDR you gets for these types of shots cannot be denied. The h264 is very sharp but also adds more noise as well. I was amazed looking at my ProRes compared to h264 for the following video.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela