Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X7 Independent Roll Control - How??

Reaction score
We have a shoot where we need to fly our I2 / X7 more like an FPV setup with the gimbal rolling into the yaw turns more like a real object in flight. In this case we are tasked with being the perspective of a bird. In this case it will look more natural looking if there is slight roll with turns. We have combed through all settings to no avail. Yes, we have tried dual OP with camera controlling roll mapped to sticks but if anything is off even a little bit it looks un natural and weird. What we really need is single OP FPV where roll is NOT automatically corrected by the gimbal, yaw is locked to front and we can control tilt. Anyone have any ideas???

It sounds like you're describing FPV mode. Set your camera to FPV mode and this should make it behave as you describe.

D

Not FPV actually. I want the camera to roll with the drone, not stay level.
It IS actually FPV mode you want - except the I2 doesn’t have it.
It is a mode on the I1 which does exactly as you want - rolls with the aircraft during compound/banked turns.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
FPV mode on Inspire 1 would/should accomplish what you're asking. There's still roll motion, but it's done to smooth the motion with the aircraft vs. staying completely level. That setting is not available on the Inspire 2 AFAIK.

We have a shoot where we need to fly our I2 / X7 more like an FPV setup with the gimbal rolling into the yaw turns more like a real object in flight. In this case we are tasked with being the perspective of a bird. In this case it will look more natural looking if there is slight roll with turns. We have combed through all settings to no avail. Yes, we have tried dual OP with camera controlling roll mapped to sticks but if anything is off even a little bit it looks un natural and weird. What we really need is single OP FPV where roll is NOT automatically corrected by the gimbal, yaw is locked to front and we can control tilt. Anyone have any ideas???
Since it’s been established that I2 can’t do this can you just do it in post? With 6k you should have some headroom to zoom in and roll the video a bit with key frames. Not ideal I know but at least you’d have full control over it.

It’s a pity I2 doesn’t have FPV mode but that’s classic DJI for ya. Remove features from the new model and never add it back in. I actually think the Mavic Pro in fixed wing mode was the best “FPV” mode on any DJI drone. It’s the only one where the camera actually is locked to the aircraft roll. The other “FPV” modes is just a software emulation and poorly replicates it in my opinion.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
It IS actually FPV mode you want - except the I2 doesn’t have it.
It is a mode on the I1 which does exactly as you want - rolls with the aircraft during compound/banked turns.

Ahhhh...thanx for clearing that up. It's nice to know the Inspire 1 can still do stuff the Inspire 2 can't. That kind of sucks for Inspire 2 owners, as FPV mode can be very useful.

D

So I was just reading through the DJI SDK and I think you should be able to put the Inspire 2 into FPV mode with a 3rd party app such as Litchi.

The SDK seems to indicate that FPV mode is a standard inherent gimbal mode on DJI gimbals.

To give you some background, some modes and features are inherently part of the DJI firmware and so even if the DJI Go app doesn’t give you the option for that mode it can still be accessed via the SDK.

For instance, a famous example is I believe the Spark or Mavic Air didn’t have waypoints as a flight mode in DJI Go 4 but waypoints could be set via Litchi or a 3rd party app because it always had that capability DJI just omitted it for some reason. Another example is the Mavic 2 doesn’t have a traditional course lock mode in the Go app. They decided replace it with tap fly but the code for course lock and home lock is part of every DJI drone so it can be enabled with the SDK.

I think there’s a good bet you can do the same with FPV mode on the I2

So I was just reading through the DJI SDK and I think you should be able to put the Inspire 2 into FPV mode with a 3rd party app such as Litchi.

The SDK seems to indicate that FPV mode is a standard inherent gimbal mode on DJI gimbals.

To give you some background, some modes and features are inherently part of the DJI firmware and so even if the DJI Go app doesn’t give you the option for that mode it can still be accessed via the SDK.

For instance, a famous example is I believe the Spark or Mavic Air didn’t have waypoints as a flight mode in DJI Go 4 but waypoints could be set via Litchi or a 3rd party app because it always had that capability DJI just omitted it for some reason. Another example is the Mavic 2 doesn’t have a traditional course lock mode in the Go app. They decided replace it with tap fly but the code for course lock and home lock is part of every DJI drone so it can be enabled with the SDK.

I think there’s a good bet you can do the same with FPV mode on the I2

Inspire 2 can be controlled using the DJI goggles, connected via usb cable, this supports head tracking and a feature used as airplane where the gimbal is locked in fpv mode and pitch yaw and roll follow the movement of the drone.

Reactions: Brett8883
There you go! So you should also be able to use Litchi to do this too

Tried the goggles today, set up the gimbal to follow mode, set the flight mode to aircraft. Didn’t get a lot of roll, pitch and lots of yaw. The horizon seemed to twist but not nearly as much as my Mavic platinum.

Tried the goggles today, set up the gimbal to follow mode, set the flight mode to aircraft. Didn’t get a lot of roll, pitch and lots of yaw. The horizon seemed to twist but not nearly as much as my Mavic platinum.
Interesting. Not really what I was talking about but that’s interesting. Did it hold your forward speed like it does in fixed wing mode on the MPP?

Interesting. Not really what I was talking about but that’s interesting. Did it hold your forward speed like it does in fixed wing mode on the MPP?

No, right stick needed to be pushed forward all the time, there were no flight lines projected for my path.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan