Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Zenmuse X5 for Professional Productions

well back on topic ay , kids area is in the send a pm section boys.

so you read that the X5 does 16mp stills correct , can some one with more insight explain to me the DNG files , as most of mine are 23mb per pic.

i know its raw not jpeg but is this larger size any better ?

cheers
Hi Dasko,
Both the raw and the jpg file will be 16mp.
The DNG raw files are only beneficial if you want to edit the photo in post production using softwares like Photoshop, Lightroom, Aperture etc. They are larger files because they hold more data to allow for editing while not loosing quality.
Side by side, the JPG files will look nicer than the DNG file because it has been processed in camera. The colours in the DNG file will initially look flat and the image may not be so sharp.
Hope that helps

so you read that the X5 does 16mp stills correct , can some one with more insight explain to me the DNG files , as most of mine are 23mb per pic.
I think you are confusing "megapixels" with "megabytes".

The term "megapixels" refers to how many pixels (dots) appear in a still image, with "mega" meaning "million". The X5 camera produces images that are 4608 pixels wide and 3456 high. That means that each image has 15,925,248 in it, or about 16 million pixels. Thus, a "16 megapixel image".

The term "megabytes" refers to how many bytes of storage are required for an image file. In the simplest form, each pixel requires 3 bytes of storage; 8 bits for red, 8 bits for green, and 8 bits for blue; 24 bits = 3 bytes. So 16 megapixels, times three bytes per pixel, means that each file would occupy 48 megabytes of space on disk.

But that isn't how images are stored on disk. The X5 camera supports two formats: JPG and DNG. JPG is a highly-compressed format, known as "lossy" because it discards sensor data in order to reduce the file size. The images look like the original data, but they do not contain all of the sensor data.

DNG is a "raw" format, meaning that every bit of data from the sensor is encoded in the file. However, it is still a compressed format, and thus doesn't require the full 48 megabytes. It uses lossless compression techniques to reduce that to the 23 megabytes or so that you see.

It is my opinion that everybody should always use the DNG format, as 1) it gives the highest image quality that is possible, and 2) disk storage is insanely cheap. At 25 megabytes per image, a 2TB drive costing $75 can hold 80,000 DNG images. That's 100 photos a day for more than two years. And when that two years is up, a 4TB drive will cost $75.

Hi Richard,
I've taken a few screen shots to help explain my current gimbal settings and they are as follows...
View attachment 4729 View attachment 4730
These settings are for my cam-op when using a two-man-set up.
If I was to operate solo, I'd adjust the gimbal tilt speed to 30.

Now for the settings of the Inspire, I have them set as the following...
View attachment 4733 View attachment 4732 View attachment 4731

It's worth noting that I use these settings because they work for me as I'm often capturing smooth cinematic shots. If you were to be racing around a track getting fast, dynamic shots of cars it would be a different story.
There are no 'best' settings, it depends what flight and gimbal characteristics works best for you and your situation.
Hope that helps though and gives you a good benchmark to work from.
is this setting with older inspire1 and X5 ? thank you

Hi Phil !
I have some concerns about the technologies I am applying now a days on my projects..
I recently purchased the Inspire 1 Pro + olympus 12mm + olympus 45mm + 2RC for gimbal control. I have been using the 12mm without any problems, but I haven´t been able to use the 45mm. Everytime I put on the 45mm the gimbal starts to make bad noises, auto calibration doesnt work. It doesnt feels right, gimbal light gets red and green.. I have tried the 45mm with an Olympus PRF-D37 PRO filter as balancing ring, but it keeps the same way.. I dont feel like flying it in this condition.
I have seen you using the 45mm without problems for filming..
I have contacted DJI for support but they could not help me out on this.. The website specs says the 45mm should only be used for photography. ( I dont get the difference with filming)

I would really appreciate if you can help me out with these concerns and I am looking forward to know more about you. I hope we can get in touch and help each others out.

Best regards from Uruguay.

Sincerly,
Oliver Umpierre

Hi Phil !
I have some concerns about the technologies I am applying now a days on my projects..
I recently purchased the Inspire 1 Pro + olympus 12mm + olympus 45mm + 2RC for gimbal control. I have been using the 12mm without any problems, but I haven´t been able to use the 45mm. Everytime I put on the 45mm the gimbal starts to make bad noises, auto calibration doesnt work. It doesnt feels right, gimbal light gets red and green.. I have tried the 45mm with an Olympus PRF-D37 PRO filter as balancing ring, but it keeps the same way.. I dont feel like flying it in this condition.
I have contacted DJI for support but they could not help me out on this.. The website specs says the 45mm should only be used for photography. ( I dont get the difference with filming)

I would really appreciate if you can help me out with these concerns and I am looking forward to know more about you. I hope we can get in touch and help each others out.

Sincerly,
Oliver Umpierre

Oliver, firstly have you balanced the lens and gimbal correctly, by this I mean when it is switched off does it stay in a position you put it in or does it flop forward or backwards. The bad noises you are hearing is the gimbal motors working overtime to try and stabilise the lens so your first priority is to make it balanced. The other reason DJi state that it should be used for stills photography only is because in focal length terms the 45mm on a 4/3 sensor actually equals approx 90mm on a full frame so when trying to shoot video the slightest turn left or right is magnified and you will not be able to make smooth turns

Hi Phil !

Sincerly,
Oliver Umpierre
I second what Richard said (cheers for that Richard:p)!
It's an absolutely amazing lens for filming. Like Richard said, I can only imagine DJI say its only for photography because it takes a fair level of skill to get smooth cinematic shots. However, if you have a 2 man op, you can get some mind blowing beautiful shots!

I'm yet to test it, but i suspect that using an app like atutoflight logic's to set a target for the gimbal will probably help with getting buttery smooth shots with the 45mm.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla