Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

1.6 YAFU (Yet Another Firmware Update)

I'm impressed by how some people react in here...

1.6 introduces a protection system to prevent the operator from operating in condtions that have been found to be dangerous and where a catastrophic even can occur, and people say "I won't update because it will limit me".

If you update and end up being prevented from doing a job because of the protection it's that you should not do it, regardless of what you think "should be OK"! It's not because the previous version lets you do it that it's a good idea, quite the opposite, the fact this update exists is the proof that if you do a job on <1.6 that 1.6 would not let you do means that you're just looking dismissing a known danger!

what if i have to chase down a rally car in cold sub 5 degrees? they go 50-80 at times
Well if it won't do it it means it's not capable of doing it safely! So don't do it, or find another solution that IS able to do it safely...

Reactions: Figbar

1.6 introduces a protection system to prevent the operator from operating in condtions that have been found to be dangerous and where a catastrophic even can occur, and people say "I won't update because it will limit me".

If you update and end up being prevented from doing a job because of the protection it's that you should not do it, regardless of what you think "should be OK"! It's not because the previous version lets you do it that it's a good idea, quite the opposite, the fact this update exists is the proof that if you do a job on <1.6 that 1.6 would not let you do means that you're just looking dismissing a known danger!

Well if it won't do it it means it's not capable of doing it safely! So don't do it, or find another solution that IS able to do it safely...

Second thread I've read, second time you have come across as an angry young man with the people skills of a potato. I wonder if this will be every thread?

Reactions: JoeyJoe

just for my understanding here. the 1.6 will do this safety procedure when the battery is cold and in cold weather. since I NEVER use cold batteries but do fly in cold weather as I did already and had no issues whatsoever chasing a rally car from all sides the 1.6 "limiting" the capabilities of flying fast within cold weather which was no problem before until probably someone had a mishap. - I do not know. so, to summarize: I do use warm batteries with the insulation pads at all times when cold weather is the case. I did not have any issues yet and don´t plan to have any in future taking precaution and double checking the gear to not have ANY problems at all. thus 1.6 is not being installed on my AC and not because I am reckless or not cautious enough but because having this update will negatively impact my work. I do think I know the working theory of Lipo´s and what not to do. in other cases I ask for advice before doing action from more experienced pilots.
back to your quote: it was doing it safely until something somewhere to somebody happened and that is why 1.6 got issued in my opinion. if we all know that cold weather does reduce the power of the battery why was this not implemented beforehand already in the very first FW we ever got about a year ago now?
I fly safe, watch out, do my risk assessments, fly very cautious and keep all the errors that can happen in mind while flying and will not endanger anyone or anything on purpose or lack of judgement because I check pre flight, after flight and midflight to ensure nothing or min damage if any can occur.

no offense meant to you or anyone here. this is my sole opinion about FW 1.6 and what kilrah (with all respect and really no offense to you).
over time when most people have been using it and report good use and no or minor flaws I consider to updating from 1.4 to the latest. but until then I will not rock my boat because it floats :D
cheers
Martin

Last edited:
Reactions: damoncooper
Second thread I've read, second time you have come across as an angry young man with the people skills of a potato. I wonder if this will be every thread?
@mizuho you have joined the forum today and so far only posted to 'attack' one individual.
If you intend carrying on in this vein your membership will be short lived I'm afraid.

In the release notes it says:

"1. In cold environments, propulsion output is automatically adjusted based on battery temperature and cell voltage.
Horizontal and vertical speed is also decreased to avoid triggering battery protection."

So is this decreased speed only in regards to what is said above, i.e. in cold weather. or is it a overall speed decrease?

Overall decrease! I updated my main I1 and kept the 1.5 on my back up I1 and wow the power loss is ridiculous. i live in Canada and we get cold *** weather here but I do not need a firmware to tell me i shouldnt go full throttle in freezing weather its just common sense imo. they should reduce the speed for 1-2 min max and give us full power when the battery is warm.

Good morning....upgraded to 1.6 and did not like power decrease do i attempted to revert back to 1.5 and this happened can someone please help?

just for my understanding here. the 1.6 will do this safety procedure when the battery is cold and in cold weather. since I NEVER use cold batteries
Then to my understanding you would have no problem and would never run into the safety limits. What I understand is that on 1.6 they use the battery temperature to to apply limits, the colder the battery the more speed is limited, up to not allowing you to take off at all if it is really too cold. If you take off with a "relatively cold but still OK" battery you'll be speed-limited at first, until it warms up due to its own discharge losses and the limits get gradually lifted (from experience a battery kept at 20°C will still reach 40-45°C or so even when flying in -5°C temps, so it does warm up).

If you always keep your batteries warm before installing them and taking off (which is perfect and exactly what should be done) and have the pads on then you should never run into any limitation - it is made to try and save those who don't have the understanding that they should do so from themselves.

I haven't tested it because I'm currently in a location where it's 25°C :D but that's the only implementation that would make sense to me, and if I was in a position to the first thing I would do now is to run tests to confirm/deny my understanding is correct and know what I can expect my machine to do in various conditions. Ideally someone in the appropriate position would verify those assumptions and give feedback, only then could people do educated decisions about whether to upgrade or not.
My "anger" is due to so many people instead shooting around completely random thoughts about how the new update is evil without at least trying to apply some common sense, think about the reasons that could have pushed DJI to make the changes they did and how it would make sense to go about them, then verify it's indeed correct. Given the constant lack of detailed documentation and usual poor wording that accompanies DJI's products and updates that is what I would pretty much expect from every single responsible professional operator. "What has changed? Why have they changed it? What does it mean for me? How can I make sure my understanding is correct and it will do what I think it will? Has it not broken anything I'm used to?" That would mean at least a day or 2 of research and testing after each update.

To get back to the actual feature I couldn't see why they'd do it diffrerently, we know the problematic part is the battery performance, we know there is a temp sensor in the battery, so why would they be using a measurement of the ambient temp from some other sensor, that would ignore the exact thing that matters i.e. whether your battery is warm enough to deliver its required performance? It just has to be done like this. And if tests showed something else then my moaning would definitely be redirected towards DJI because they'd have done something apparently stupid, instead of towards users who are happy to blame them before even having done the effort to try and understand the matter.
Either you trust DJI and their beta testers to do it right or you run the thought process and verify it yourself, but the speculation / bashing and common supposition that anything DJI does is against the user that ends up with bogus potential operation theories and related placebo effect on others doesn't benefit anybody.

Did you really join this forum just to analyze my posts? o_O Here's a long one for you, be sure to look at the actual contents instead of the way I write. Yeah I'm straight to the point. Unlike you I usually do have one though, and it's even sometimes correct...

Last edited:
Did you try formating your card and re installing the 1.5FW? And did you reboot your I1 after the update?
Rebooted and reinstalled, app said 8 pin connector to gimbal might be disconnected...unplugged then reconnected them, my first time attempting to downgrade firmware.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

There was no beta for 1.6 as far as I know
I didn't think there was but I stand corrected (thanks Andrew) @Scotflieger pointed out there was a very brief beta. I missed it (not sure how....I must pay more attention over on Centrecode' although I should have gotten an email o_O)

Anyway, thanks for putting the record straight Andrew. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: damoncooper
Rebooted and reinstalled, app said 8 pin connector to gimbal might be disconnected...unplugged then reconnected them, my first time attempting to downgrade firmware.

****! is it working now? i did not try to downgrade the FW on my 2nd inspire yet...

Then to my understanding you would have no problem and would never run into the safety limits. What I understand is that on 1.6 they use the battery temperature to to apply limits, the colder the battery the more speed is limited, up to not allowing you to take off at all if it is really too cold. If you take off with a "relatively cold but still OK" battery you'll be speed-limited at first, until it warms up due to its own discharge losses and the limits get gradually lifted (from experience a battery kept at 20°C will still reach 40-45°C or so even when flying in -5°C temps, so it does warm up).

If you always keep your batteries warm before installing them and taking off (which is perfect and exactly what should be done) and have the pads on then you should never run into any limitation - it is made to try and save those who don't have the understanding that they should do so from themselves.

I haven't tested it because I'm currently in a location where it's 25°C :D but that's the only implementation that would make sense to me, and if I was in a position to the first thing I would do now is to run tests to confirm/deny my understanding is correct and know what I can expect my machine to do in various conditions. Ideally someone in the appropriate position would verify those assumptions and give feedback, only then could people do educated decisions about whether to upgrade or not.
My "anger" is due to so many people instead shooting around completely random thoughts about how the new update is evil without at least trying to apply some common sense, think about the reasons that could have pushed DJI to make the changes they did and how it would make sense to go about them, then verify it's indeed correct. Given the constant lack of detailed documentation and usual poor wording that accompanies DJI's products and updates that is what I would pretty much expect from every single responsible professional operator. "What has changed? Why have they changed it? What does it mean for me? How can I make sure my understanding is correct and it will do what I think it will? Has it not broken anything I'm used to?" That would mean at least a day or 2 of research and testing after each update.

To get back to the actual feature I couldn't see why they'd do it diffrerently, we know the problematic part is the battery performance, we know there is a temp sensor in the battery, so why would they be using a measurement of the ambient temp from some other sensor, that would ignore the exact thing that matters i.e. whether your battery is warm enough to deliver its required performance? It just has to be done like this. And if tests showed something else then my moaning would definitely be redirected towards DJI because they'd have done something apparently stupid, instead of towards users who are happy to blame them before even having done the effort to try and understand the matter.
Either you trust DJI and their beta testers to do it right or you run the thought process and verify it yourself, but the speculation / bashing and common supposition that anything DJI does is against the user that ends up with bogus potential operation theories and related placebo effect on others doesn't benefit anybody.

Did you really join this forum just to analyze my posts? o_O Here's a long one for you, be sure to look at the actual contents instead of the way I write. Yeah I'm straight to the point. Unlike you I usually do have one though, and it's even sometimes correct...

my second bird is in repair as it came badly assembled from factory. i used to use one and make tests for me if others on here are not ahead of me. other than that Mr :) I agree with what you say again i meant no offense against anyone or anything. things happen for a reason. i just think this should have been implemented in the very first fw with the first gen of AC's
cheers
m

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will confess I upgraded to 1.6 but haven't flight tested yet. I'm in Boston and I'm worried and a bit conflicted about the logic employed to restrict power consumption with battery temps.

I have been known to add a little extra weight (aux batteries) and I guess I just need to make sure my main batt temp is warm before takeoff.

I'm very worried though at some of the reports of guys barely making it home with only moderate wind due to reduced power output in normal temperatures.

That's super scary to me.

Since

Since you're a DIY kinda guy try duct taping some hand warmers to the batteries while in flight. Should definitely keep that 2nd batt warm till it kicks into action. I refuse to fly during winter without hand warmers.

That's a great idea! Love it. Thank you!

Edit: these are good for up to 7 hours each as well, so good for a whole day of flying.

What I need to do is come up with a covering over the battery compartment on each side that allows me to slide a hand warmer into each side without sticking them to a battery (risking coming off in flight and allowing reuse with each battery).

Great idea!

Last edited:
Has anyone found specs on the cold battery restrictions in fw 1.6?

Someone mentioned that if the battery is warm on takeoff it will still heat up in flight as long as you have pads on, even at -5c. Can others confirm this is correct?

I am flying the Inspire 1 with the Zenmuse X5. I do not have the Inspire Pro.

I just downloaded firmware from the Zenmuse x5 page. This is the file I downloaded.

WM610_FC550_FW_V01.03.00.60.bin

It went through the process as usual, and I got the proper beeping sounds indicating the process was finished. I checked the text file on the disk that was generated and got this message...

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:11 remo-con disconnect======
Packet: WM610_FC550_FW_V01.03.00.60.bin
Upgrading ...
Result: Success.

Then, when I turn everything on...rc first, then the craft, then my DJI GO app...which I just updated today...my GO APP comes up as usual...I'm able to go to my library, etc...but when I select camera...the APP just closes.

Not sure what the issue is? Did I download and install the incorrect firmware?

Thanks for you help!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool