Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

1.6 YAFU (Yet Another Firmware Update)

I don't have much to compare it to as far as cold weather flying, but I flew with the new firmware in around freezing weather with a fairly substantial wind that made landing difficult. First battery was too cold to actually use according to the firmware. I got it flying with another battery and it wasn't struggling. I just made sure the core temperature was warm enough and the battery voltages weren't in the red.

I will confess I upgraded to 1.6 but haven't flight tested yet. I'm in Boston and I'm worried and a bit conflicted about the logic employed to restrict power consumption with battery temps.

I have been known to add a little extra weight (aux batteries) and I guess I just need to make sure my main batt temp is warm before takeoff.

I'm very worried though at some of the reports of guys barely making it home with only moderate wind due to reduced power output in normal temperatures.

That's super scary to me.
I upgraded to 1.6 . the wind was 10-15 warm battery with no problem. But I did have a compass error

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I've been following this thread with interest (and on other forums out there) and still looking for more than anecdotal evidence about the slow down / reduced power with 1.6. I'm running 1.5 in cold weather without issue, but I do warm my batteries to at least 25ºC prior to heading out, and keep them warm in an insulated bag with a microwave "cozy" warmer. My last battery may have cooled to about 18ºC before it's used, but still plenty warm. I'm flying in conditions varying from -1ºC to around +5 or 6ºC. I have insulator pads on my TB47 but not on my TB48s. Even flying in sub zero temperatures the TB48s are always warm on landing, and I'm always cautious with power and never punch her out in cold conditions.

From my understanding, by using warm batteries and flying as above I should not notice any reduced power with the I1 on firmware 1.6 as it will not detect a cold battery and it seems the temperature is measured from the battery sensor and not the aircraft. Does this sound right? If so, I see no reason not to update to 1.6, and it may help out if for some reason the battery does cool down during flight, say when doing static multi shot panos.

Cheers,

Rory

Hello Guys...

I am looking to update... so whats the final verdict? worth it or not? slow or only on cold temps?

Thanks!
JC

I've been following this thread with interest (and on other forums out there) and still looking for more than anecdotal evidence about the slow down / reduced power with 1.6. I'm running 1.5 in cold weather without issue, but I do warm my batteries to at least 25ºC prior to heading out, and keep them warm in an insulated bag with a microwave "cozy" warmer. My last battery may have cooled to about 18ºC before it's used, but still plenty warm. I'm flying in conditions varying from -1ºC to around +5 or 6ºC. I have insulator pads on my TB47 but not on my TB48s. Even flying in sub zero temperatures the TB48s are always warm on landing, and I'm always cautious with power and never punch her out in cold conditions.

From my understanding, by using warm batteries and flying as above I should not notice any reduced power with the I1 on firmware 1.6 as it will not detect a cold battery and it seems the temperature is measured from the battery sensor and not the aircraft. Does this sound right? If so, I see no reason not to update to 1.6, and it may help out if for some reason the battery does cool down during flight, say when doing static multi shot panos.

Cheers,

Rory
Correct - go ahead and update.

Hello Guys...

I am looking to update... so whats the final verdict? worth it or not? slow or only on cold temps?

Thanks!
JC
Power only limited when battery cold. No issues with warm packs.
V1.7 will be out shortly in any case and this wrap the 1.6 battery protection up in it.

would be nice to know the temperature thresh holds meaining from what to what temperature will the system do what. not power on when pack is colder than or 8C degrees or will fly with X% reduced power until reached Y temp of battery etc. also with 1.7 a bit more info would also be good for users.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: damoncooper
would be nice to know the temperature thresh holds meaining from what to what temperature will the system do what. not power on when pack is colder than or 8C degrees or will fly with X% reduced power until reached Y temp of battery etc. also with 1.7 a bit more info would also be good for users.

15 degrees c seems to be the critical temp of whether or not the motors will start.
With regards to v1.7 - my lips are sealed.

Reactions: Phatzo
15 degrees c seems to be the critical temp of whether or not the motors will start.
With regards to v1.7 - my lips are sealed.

I love the way you inform us :) bit by bit and it is goooooood.
hope 1.7 will have minor issues. I will have to get myself a battery warm holding device for longer flights.

thank you for the info. will eventually update. still on a good working 1.4.0.10 and not rocking the boat :D

Just tried to upgrade to 1.6 on both my inspires, never had any issues before but both birds do not start the update process, and when i go to the app it still says i am on 1.5 anyone else having this issue just seems strange with both my birds

Just tried to upgrade to 1.6 on both my inspires, never had any issues before but both birds do not start the update process, and when i go to the app it still says i am on 1.5 anyone else having this issue just seems strange with both my birds
Post a picture of the SD card root directory with the FW on

Do we have a temperature range for safe flight? I want to do a flight over the pancake ice that forms in Rockport Harbor in Maine this year - I have permission from the Harbor Master's Office - so, if I use the black foam inserts, can I expect a trouble free flight at -22c?

Internal battery startup and flight temp should be >15C. Check it via the app battery panel.

Even at -22C you should be ok if you are flying actively. But I'd say take it easy on the throttle and keep a close eye on the battery voltage and temp

Do we have a temperature range for safe flight? I want to do a flight over the pancake ice that forms in Rockport Harbor in Maine this year - I have permission from the Harbor Master's Office - so, if I use the black foam inserts, can I expect a trouble free flight at -22c?
Aside from Damon's advice above, yes flights have been made at these kind of temperatures however, you are obviously aware that you will be operating at more than double the rated temperature specification for the aircraft and the camera is only rated down to zero degrees.
There are other things your should be cognizant of if operating in these types of conditions.
Not least of which, relative humidity and the affect of pressure difference between the top and lower surface of the props and the resultant problems that can cause.

Reactions: damoncooper
Since

Since you're a DIY kinda guy try duct taping some hand warmers to the batteries while in flight. Should definitely keep that 2nd batt warm till it kicks into action. I refuse to fly during winter without hand warmers.
I am using two sided tape and 1/4" thick foam gasket on each side of where the battery is. I think my problem now is the controller I nearly lost my inspire twice. First time was the main, I lost power at 50% I came so close to losing it scared the life out of me, 6 grand just about went for a swim. So I tried the foam on the inspire which seemed to work but I think the controller is getting to cold? The temp outside was -12c the second time the inspire flew was fine as far as no loss of power, After about 6 minutes of flight I lost connection with the inspire then it started to randomly fly. I got enough intermittent signal I was somehow Able to get it down. It was definitely touch and go. Tomorrow I'll see about using the hotpads that were suggested on controller and inspire and see how that works along with firmwear and app. It's supposed to be -10. I just thought it was strange how I could barely control the inspire. I'm concerned about it not being reliable now.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brainfraktured