Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

70+ MPH 787mm Quad 20 Min Flight on $32 of Battery Your thoughts?!

Reaction score
In response to the industries hobby grade standards 4 months ago I decided to do it myself. As a designer and film maker with years of composite design and construction experience I set out to make a UAV that was efficient, extremely fast, bullet proof, and beautiful. 4 months later I am in the last phases of performance testing with the prototype. I am testing with a 41 degree field of view lens ensuring the highest performance camera dampening. I am not a fan of the DJI 94 Degree FOV. I would like to build these on an order by order bases. Please feel free to PM me with any questions. Here is some test footage.

Certain aspects of the design are Patent Pending (Foil Fuselage) In lateral flight the fuselage actually creates lift thus increasing efficiency by reducing the burden on the motors to keep the UAV aloft The current industry standard creates drag and downforce. In forward flight it is ultra efficient. Crosswinds do not seem to phase it. I have tested in 30 mph wind with higher gust. I am continuing to experiment with frame layouts and geometry. There will be a folding option at some point soon. Best of all it will fly for 20 min on 36$ worth of batteries.
This is a semi waterproof setup. Completely waterproof builds are possible. Extra options include what ever you want! Lightbridge, bluetooth, X8, bigger smaller, faster, landing gear etc. I hand launch from moving platforms so this prototype uses a separate stand not pictured. I desperately wanted something that was gimmick free, ultra reliable, simple, cheap to fly, weather proof, made in america (excluding electronics) and fast as hell. So far it is all of that.

Here is what I know thus far.
70+MPH Air Speed
310 KV Motors e1200 pro
17.5" props
6S 5200 MAH 10 C Battery
20-25 min hover
50+min hover with external battery options
NAZA M V2 Flight Controller
FPV Video Downlink
MINI OSD
RX TX ready
Crazy strong
Crazy fast
Military grade construction

What do you think?
This prototype will be for sale shortly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting!

So, no landing gear and one has to hand launch and recover -- is that right?

And the 25 minute hover time -- is that with or without a camera?

When using the camera what gimbal are you using?

Do you have any plans to support larger cameras like, say, the GH4?

Does it have a FPV feed so you can see what the camera sees in realtime while flying?

The body is obviously streamlined and optimized for forward flight -- what kind of speed do you see when translating sideways?

You indicated that some of the structure is designed to provide lift and if that is so then flight times could be longer -- would they be longer than hover times?

There's something sticking out of the front that looks to be either an antenna or a pitot tube -- which is it?

Brian

While I appreciate your ingenuity as well as your attempts to make it in the business, this is a site for Inspire pilots to talk about the Inspire 1. Joining to promote a product is agains forum rules. Cross posting a product is also against forum rules (spamming). Please do not link out or sell your products on the site.
I have edited the original post to remove links. If this thread is still up you can use it. Lets see where this goes.

In response to the industries hobby grade standards 4 months ago I decided to do it myself. As a designer and film maker with years of composite design and construction experience I set out to make a UAV that was efficient, extremely fast, bullet proof, and beautiful. 4 months later I am in the last phases of performance testing with the prototype. I am testing with a 41 degree field of view lens ensuring the highest performance camera dampening. I am not a fan of the DJI 94 Degree FOV. I would like to build these on an order by order bases. Please feel free to PM me with any questions. Here is some test footage.

Certain aspects of the design are Patent Pending (Foil Fuselage) In lateral flight the fuselage actually creates lift thus increasing efficiency by reducing the burden on the motors to keep the UAV aloft The current industry standard creates drag and downforce. In forward flight it is ultra efficient. Crosswinds do not seem to phase it. I have tested in 30 mph wind with higher gust. I am continuing to experiment with frame layouts and geometry. There will be a folding option at some point soon. Best of all it will fly for 20 min on 36$ worth of batteries.
This is a semi waterproof setup. Completely waterproof builds are possible. Extra options include what ever you want! Lightbridge, bluetooth, X8, bigger smaller, faster, landing gear etc. I hand launch from moving platforms so this prototype uses a separate stand not pictured. I desperately wanted something that was gimmick free, ultra reliable, simple, cheap to fly, weather proof, made in america (excluding electronics) and fast as hell. So far it is all of that.

70+MPH Air Speed
310 KV Motors e1200 pro
17.5" props
6S 5200 MAH 10 C Battery
20-25 min hover
FPV Video Downlink
MINI OSD
RX TX ready
Crazy strong
Crazy fast

What do you think?
Since you only have a NAZA M V2 fitted how are you measuring telemtry data for speed to confirm your 72mph claim?
For military specification there would need to be redundancy built into some of the systems - where is the redundancy achieved?
The accuracy of GPS data is less on the NAZA since it can only use the Navstar constellation of satellites, there is no option to incorporate Glonass within the spec. This again is old technology (around 3-4 years old).

Since you only have a NAZA M V2 fitted how are you measuring telemtry data for speed to confirm your 72mph claim?
For military specification there would need to be redundancy built into some of the systems - where is the redundancy achieved?
The accuracy of GPS data is less on the NAZA since it can only use the Navstar constellation of satellites, there is no option to incorporate Glonass within the spec. This again is old technology (around 3-4 years old).

It has the OSD installed, and to be sure, we chased with a car! We are way out in the sticks. We have some great farm roads with no power lines, and no trees. The military grade reference was intended to describe the construction. I agree to truly be military grade the guts would have to be seriously upgraded.

While I appreciate your ingenuity as well as your attempts to make it in the business, this is a site for Inspire pilots to talk about the Inspire 1. Joining to promote a product is agains forum rules. Cross posting a product is also against forum rules (spamming). Please do not link out or sell your products on the site.
I have edited the original post to remove links. If this thread is still up you can use it. Lets see where this goes.
Sorry Completely unfamiliar with the forum. I figured the inspire group would be my best audience. Thanks for finding a home for it!

Interesting!

Does it have a FPV feed so you can see what the camera sees in realtime while flying?

The body is obviously streamlined and optimized for forward flight -- what kind of speed do you see when translating sideways?

You indicated that some of the structure is designed to provide lift and if that is so then flight times could be longer -- would they be longer than hover times?

There's something sticking out of the front that looks to be either an antenna or a pitot tube -- which is it?

Brian

Interesting!

Brian

Landing gear is an option. T adapter off the booms outboard of the fuselage. I wanted to come up with something super elegant but have failed thus far. For now the traditional carbon tube gear of the H portion of the frame should work.

Flight times are a little all over the place. I am totally new to this so my battery management is pretty awful. I had no idea so much went into battery care. I have successfully tortured every battery I have touched. I have seen 20 with the h43D with the FPV running. There is still tons to be learned with different C ratings etc. After I proved the concept valid to my self I had a friend of mine draw it up in RHINO and we are cutting two new fuselages with internal cavities that are way more spacious. I am hoping this will let me carry more power inside... One of the fuselages is actually basswood for extra dampening! Should be pretty cool.

It does have an FPV feed. 5.8ghtz I think.....

I am using a go pro 4 black with a 7+mm lens 41 Degree FOV for testing. Might as well start with the hardest possible option.... I will post footage soon. I have the smallest degree of jello with this lens. I would like to see a perfect image. Then I know it will work with anything. This same lens on my proven phantom 2 has massive jello so that is encouraging.

In lateral flight the telemetry is indicating 21-25 meters per second. There are white papers on this foil section that indicate it creates nearly the same amount of lift at 35 Degrees as it does at 10 Degrees... That is why I deduced that at full speed laterally there is a good chance over the traditional platform ( ie flat carbon plate builds) I could see some benefits

Th nose has the fPV antena.

My goal with this is to be an option for an alternative to what is out there for people that need something unique. One of the new fuselages will be a totally waterproof build. KDE motors.... Flame ESC... and probably Pixhawk. I know a pixhawk would be faster with some punchier motors.

This is capable of carrying massive cameras if i can figure and elegant way to hang them... The lifting capability maxed out is north of 30lbs I believe... However a bigger version would be fun. Just need a sponsor :)

Reactions: SteveT1
If there is in anyone out there that wants to build something unique I believe this construction technique is crazy cool. It is damp, allows for rapid prototyping, and is light and super strong. Material options are endless.

I will post footage as soon as I get rid of this last bit of movement. I am also considering hanging one of these from it... Z Camera E1 Mini 4K Interchangeable Lens Camera E1CAM3A701 B&H

Reactions: slim.slamma
The dji motors you have on this one are very strong, highly efficient, and are well built. I would keep them on it.

What price point were you thinking?

Price point is TBD. I am assuming it will be in the inspire range... I need to have a go at number two to see how effective I can be... This first one I took the hard way too often. Plus it was a totally new approach to anything I have built. Its all hand made. What you you pay for a perfectly painted version to your liking?

Price point is TBD. I am assuming it will be in the inspire range... I need to have a go at number two to see how effective I can be... This first one I took the hard way too often. Plus it was a totally new approach to anything I have built. Its all hand made. What you you pay for a perfectly painted version to your liking?
It would need to have a competitive level of tech to be in the Inspire price range. E.g at least Light bridge better GPS etc. Payload/flight time is interesting.

It would need to have a competitive level of tech to be in the Inspire price range. E.g at least Light bridge better GPS etc. Payload/flight time is interesting.

Adding light bridge is no problem. With my experience I have found the NAZA M V2 to be way less glitchy than the inspire. If I would to upgrade the GPS I would go to a totally different company. The goal was to get rid of all the gimmicky tech to have something that was bit more of a pilots UAV. Higher performance across the board, less points of failure. Software failure and mechanical. My greatest challenge now is camera systems and some of the newer autonomous flight features... I like the P4 features...

In response to to love it!he industries hobby grade standards 4 months ago I decided to do it myself. As a designer and film maker with years of composite design and construction experience I set out to make a UAV that was efficient, extremely fast, bullet proof, and beautiful. 4 months later I am in the last phases of performance testing with the prototype. I am testing with a 41 degree field of view lens ensuring the highest performance camera dampening. I am not a fan of the DJI 94 Degree FOV. I would like to build these on an order by order bases. Please feel free to PM me with any questions. Here is some test footage.

70+MPH Air Speed
310 KV Motors e1200 pro
17.5" props
6S 5200 MAH 10 C Battery
20-25 min hover
FPV Video Downlink
MINI OSD
RX TX ready
Crazy strong
Crazy fast

What do you think?

70+MPH Air Speed
310 KV Motors e1200 pro
17.5" props
6S 5200 MAH 10 C Battery
20-25 min hover
FPV Video Downlink
MINI OSD
RX TX ready
Crazy strong
Crazy fast

What do you think?
I love it!! Are you looking for anyone to test? I would be interested in purchasing one. Let me know. Scott

I agree with irish if you can increase payload for camera's improve gps downlinks etc include colision sensor's as atandard features. id be interested as scott you then stand a chance. DJI are very clever at holding back product advancement to draw the owner into the next piece of add in kit they can buy. Go for all out configuration and kick the backside off dji prices. Good luck

amazing! And a real sleek little beauty as well. Price point for a baseline?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84