Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!
Like many of you, I have struggled with charging Inspire 2 batteries in the field. With TWO batteries required for ONE flight, and the slow charge times from the OEM wall adapter + DJI charge hub it seemed the only option was to buy more batteries at $160 USD each ($320 USD per flight pack).

Of course buying more batteries means also buying more wall adapters, and buying more wall adapters meant buying more DJI charge hubs. After all that you are left trying to carry the tremendous weight of these batteries with you on jobs and in the field, and ultimately there still is no way to charge in remote locations unless you also bring along a large, heavy, gasoline generator. All that and it still takes 90+ minutes to charge a single flight pack.

I have come up with the ultimate solution that has zero compromises and offers the best results across the board. The device I built can:

• Utilize power from a 90-264v AC wall outlet
  • Utilize power from a 10-25v DC car/truck/boat battery
  • Charge up to SIX (6) Inspire 2 TB50 batteries at one time
  • Charge ALL 6 of those TB50 batteries in approximately 42 MINUTES
  • Transport up to 12 TB50 batteries at once

Some other stats on this device...

• The AC power adapter is 1500 watts
  • It can draw up to 100 amps from a 12v source (so make sure the engine is running and the alternator can keep up!)
  • It has 6 discrete power outputs in the form of XT60 connectors that can plug into TB47/TB48/TB50 batteries, OEM DJI charge hubs, Inspire Transmitters, etc.
  • It has two high output 2.1 amp USB ports for charging mobile devices
  • Each discrete output channel can regulate the amperage from 1 amp to 10+ amps (the maximum current TB50 batteries will accept before refusing to charge due to "over current" is 10 amps)
  • The system has failsafes for excess current draw, over/under input voltage, reverse polarity, and fuses for each discrete output channel.
  • The entire system hardly creates any noticeable heat even under heavy usage due to the air cooling systems, overly heavy gauge wiring, and efficient power conversion
  • The case is a Pelican 1510, which is allowed as a carry-on for airlines. Fully loaded with the 10 TB50 batteries I own it comes in at 42.5 lbs, which is under the 50 lb weight limit for airline baggage.
  • When operating on AC power the unit has a 24v auxiliary output for external accessories that can utilize 24 volts
  • Adapter cables can be made to charge Mavic, Phantom, and other battery types in the future

I started designing this device in the spring of 2017 and finally have it completed now that it's the end of summer. It took tremendous efforts to bring this project to fruition from many different people and companies.

I made this project for my own useage, and it is a highly professional product for a highly professional use-case. I made one extra set of frames so I could make a second device to sell if an appropriate offer ever came along. For now, I'm really happy that the 10 batteries I have (5 flight packs) can keep me in the air without interruptions for an unlimited amount of time if a car, generator, or wall outlet is available!

Feedback is welcome!
Like many of you, I have struggled with charging Inspire 2 batteries in the field. With TWO batteries required for ONE flight, and the slow charge times from the OEM wall adapter + DJI charge hub it seemed the only option was to buy more batteries at $160 USD each ($320 USD per flight pack).

Of course buying more batteries means also buying more wall adapters, and buying more wall adapters meant buying more DJI charge hubs. After all that you are left trying to carry the tremendous weight of these batteries with you on jobs and in the field, and ultimately there still is no way to charge in remote locations unless you also bring along a large, heavy, gasoline generator. All that and it still takes 90+ minutes to charge a single flight pack.

I have come up with the ultimate solution that has zero compromises and offers the best results across the board. The device I built can:

• Utilize power from a 90-264v AC wall outlet
  • Utilize power from a 10-25v DC car/truck/boat battery
  • Charge up to SIX (6) Inspire 2 TB50 batteries at one time
  • Charge ALL 6 of those TB50 batteries in approximately 42 MINUTES
  • Transport up to 12 TB50 batteries at once

Some other stats on this device...

• The AC power adapter is 1500 watts
  • It can draw up to 100 amps from a 12v source (so make sure the engine is running and the alternator can keep up!)
  • It has 6 discrete power outputs in the form of XT60 connectors that can plug into TB47/TB48/TB50 batteries, OEM DJI charge hubs, Inspire Transmitters, etc.
  • It has two high output 2.1 amp USB ports for charging mobile devices
  • Each discrete output channel can regulate the amperage from 1 amp to 10+ amps (the maximum current TB50 batteries will accept before refusing to charge due to "over current" is 10 amps)
  • The system has failsafes for excess current draw, over/under input voltage, reverse polarity, and fuses for each discrete output channel.
  • The entire system hardly creates any noticeable heat even under heavy usage due to the air cooling systems, overly heavy gauge wiring, and efficient power conversion
  • The case is a Pelican 1510, which is allowed as a carry-on for airlines. Fully loaded with the 10 TB50 batteries I own it comes in at 42.5 lbs, which is under the 50 lb weight limit for airline baggage.
  • When operating on AC power the unit has a 24v auxiliary output for external accessories that can utilize 24 volts
  • Adapter cables can be made to charge Mavic, Phantom, and other battery types in the future

I started designing this device in the spring of 2017 and finally have it completed now that it's the end of summer. It took tremendous efforts to bring this project to fruition from many different people and companies.

I made this project for my own useage, and it is a highly professional product for a highly professional use-case. I made one extra set of frames so I could make a second device to sell if an appropriate offer ever came along. For now, I'm really happy that the 10 batteries I have (5 flight packs) can keep me in the air without interruptions for an unlimited amount of time if a car, generator, or wall outlet is available!

Feedback is welcome!
Hi, Amazing and beautifully engineered! What's the current status? Best, Lucky

I'm still in the "bread board" beta testing of a similar set up. The exception is that I need to vary voltage so that I can charge M600/Inspire batteries, Mavic batteries and/or P4P batteries. I'm using massive, highly efficient boost converters (voltage ripple < 50mv), which, so far, have remained very cool, even when charging TB48 batteries @ 105 watts.

Ironically, I was looking at a 1510 case just yesterday. Nice set up! I like that fact that you use jumper cables...though there are certainly caveats to that kind of set up (that I'm sure you're well aware of).

I have my rig set up with #8 conductor, but clearly if I'm going to super quick charge 6 batteries (150+ watts/each in theory), I might have to step that up. Like your rig, I think it would be wise for me to limit current draw to < 100 amps. I'd actually like to keep it under 80 amps. I'm not sure what my Honda Civic alternator is rated at, but I'm sure it's not 90 amps...probably closer to 60 amps...even less @ idle.

Initial field tests have gone well. Nothing gets hotter than 84° F.

Unlike your XT60 plugs, I have opted for banana plugs. This choice wasn't so much a conscious decision as much as it what was in my parts box...<;^) That said, I think they will work out well. They have a very positive connection...the caveat obviously that they CAN be connected backwards by accident...something I undoubtedly will never do....<;^)

In this photo, set up for P4P batteries.

View attachment 25181

View attachment 25182

Once this rig proves itself in the field, I'll package it nicely.

D

Any chance of a BOM. Looks like an interesting project. Or point in the direction for the couple components.

thanks
-Cody

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jammartin