Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Apparently I'm More of a N00b Than I Thought!

For those of you interested, here's the latest:

I've contacted a local drone store, Innovative UAS (HIGHLY recommended if you're in the Phoenix area, by the way). They said that, being a DJI authorized retailer, they have the tools (...more on this below) to completely wipe the bird and controller and flash all new firmware from v1 up and get everything back up and running again in an hour or so. Not a bad backup option to have.

I've also been talking with the seller a bit more. He now said he'd refund me FOUR HUNDRED BUCKS for a new controller. I'd much rather not deal with shipping the thing back anyway, so this is a tempting option. The only concern I have is that, once I get a new controller, I could just find some other issue with the bird itself. I don't know what the pairing process entails, but how much of a pain is it to pair a controller to the bird and give it a quick test to make sure it flies correctly and the camera works correctly, should I be able to find someone willing to help? Wanna gimme a hand, @Cactuswest? lol I'll buy ya a 6-pack!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

A bit off topic: Regarding reflash tools, anyone know what this entails? I'm just curious. I'm a big time "hacker", modder, tweaker, etc and have hacked/rooted/ROM'd maaaaaany many many Android devices (among others) over the years and, if you do it enough, it's a matter of time until you brick something. Usually it's a soft-brick like a boot loop or a hanged boot, no big deal. I've gotten to the point where I can usually fix issues like these be back up and running in no time flat. These issues I'm having with the Inspire remind me of a soft-bricked device in a way. Hell...even a hard bricked device can be fixed with the right kind of cable (JTAG, if I remember correctly) and a bit of software. Anyone have any idea what DJI uses to fix these types of issues?

you can also check the pins where the gimbal mounts to the craft. I had an issue with a bent pin.

It's going to Innovative UAS this morning to get tested. If the bird and camera check out, I'm taking the 400. If not, it's going back.

IMO the firmware updates will fix your problems...my bird did the same thing when I neglected the latest controller update....

IMO the firmware updates will fix your problems...my bird did the same thing when I neglected the latest controller update....
I'm thinking it will, too. Why the controller firmware wouldn't downgrade through the app though...strange. No idea there.

I should know what's going on with it (hopefully) by the end of the week, (probably) early next week at the latest.

--Brent
Play 5 Multimedia, LLC

Sorry to hear about the PITA you are having with this purchase. They are frustrating to start with and it is simple things like having to tap then hold the power buttons to turn things on and off that you just have to learn by osmosis. Once you get up and running they are great bits of kit and there are so many setting you can go into to fine tune them exactly the way you want them.

Stick with it old boy!

Sorry to hear about the PITA you are having with this purchase. They are frustrating to start with and it is simple things like having to tap then hold the power buttons to turn things on and off that you just have to learn by osmosis. Once you get up and running they are great bits of kit and there are so many setting you can go into to fine tune them exactly the way you want them.

Stick with it old boy!
Thanks for the kind words!

Yea, it's been a bit of a setback, but it was a calculated risk. It's all good.:-D

Should know what's up with it in a few days.

Will keep this thread updated.

--Brent
Play 5 Multimedia, LLC

Looks like this saga is finally coming to an end.

Bird's still in the shop. Controller had to go to DJI to get a new main board. (Amazingly enough...) Couple hundred bucks to get back up and running, no big deal.

Real icing on the cake though?: the seller refunded me $470 today! How AWESOME is that!?

So, after all is said and done, I'll essentially have bought an Inspire 1 for 775-ish bucks. lol Not too shabby!

--Brent
Play 5 Multimedia, LLC

So, here's the latest:

Sent the controller in and DJI ended up giving me a brand new one.

Sweet.

Shop gave it a test flight and it flies perfectly fine.

Sweet.

Bird flies, camera and gimbal are FUBAR.

Not sweet.

Because...you know, what ELSE could go wrong? (Never say that...)

So now, the CAMERA (and gimbal, obviously) is getting sent to DJI.

Buying from eBay was a calculated risk and I knew that going in...I knew this particular bird had been repaired at some point as well...but MAN has this gone wrong at every turn.

Thinking I'm going to duct tape my gopro to the thing later cuz ANGER AND DISCONTENT.

Already been in touch with the seller who has agreed to pick up the tab for this too...probably because the nasty gram I sent him made him realize I'm || this close to flat out reporting his *** to eBay for the blatantly false listing. "...flies great" my ***.

On the bright side, at this rate, I'm going to end up MAKING money by buying this thing.

------

Here's the findings from Innovative UAS, should you be interested:

As we discussed on the phone, the gimbal is able to stabilize on the ground, however once it is in the air and flying it gives a "Gimbal Motor Overload Error" in the software.

The error is most likely caused by the roll motor on the gimbal, it was either repaired improperly, damaged in a crash, or a defect. Our thought is that it was damaged during a crash. The roll axis of the gimbal is able to go beyond its normal stopping point and you are able to turn the camera upside down. The typical cost for the gimbal repairs is $150-$175 and will take approximately 2 weeks.

--Brent
Play 5 Multimedia, LLC

If the seller gave you that much cash back, you can just buy a new X3 and be done with it.
After sorting out the controller issues, I didn't get enough back for an entirely new camera/gimbal.

That's irrelevant though. The SELLER screwed up, he can pay for it. And he WILL pay for it as, at this point, it's obvious the ad was fraudulent. As I told him in a message yesterday:

"This thing was OBVIOUSLY crashed at least once, and crashed hard. Your listing for an Inspire 1 that "flies great" could NOT have been further from the truth. When it was just an issue with controller firmware, I could easily give you the benefit of the doubt and say "maybe the seller didn't know", but in light of this issue with the gimbal, no way. You HAD to have known. An arm on the gimbal is bent!! Whatever happened was not just a little "oops"."

It will get fixed and he will pay for it, not me.

--Brent
Play 5 Multimedia, LLC

After sorting out the controller issues, I didn't get enough back for an entirely new camera/gimbal.

That's irrelevant though. The SELLER screwed up, he can pay for it. And he WILL pay for it as, at this point, it's obvious the ad was fraudulent. As I told him in a message yesterday:

"This thing was OBVIOUSLY crashed at least once, and crashed hard. Your listing for an Inspire 1 that "flies great" could NOT have been further from the truth. When it was just an issue with controller firmware, I could easily give you the benefit of the doubt and say "maybe the seller didn't know", but in light of this issue with the gimbal, no way. You HAD to have known. An arm on the gimbal is bent!! Whatever happened was not just a little "oops"."

It will get fixed and he will pay for it, not me.

--Brent
Play 5 Multimedia, LLC

No doubt he has to either take the whole thing back for a full refund or sort out the camera for you. This is exactly why I don't buy used drones, truly not worth the headaches. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: SanCap
No doubt he has to either take the whole thing back for a full refund or sort out the camera for you. This is exactly why I don't buy used drones, truly not worth the headaches. Best of luck to you.
Early on, he expressed a desire to pay for repairs rather than take the thing back for whatever reason. I'm fine with this. None of this stuff is even CRAZY expensive. It's more a matter of time than anything else. Dude's agreed to take care of it so, at the end of the day, it's whatever.

In the meantime, I zip-tied a gopro to the gimbal mount. lol

--Brent
Play 5 Multimedia, LLC

Reactions: cheebs
Final update:

I FINALLY got the thing working. It's up and running 100% now and the seller paid for all repairs so, yea it took forever, but no real harm done. If nothing else at all, I ended up getting an Inspire 1 for...like...700 bucks. lol

Check out the videos I made of the first couple flights:

NSFW:

Thanks everyone for all the support, conversation, help and feedback. You all rock!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cricgram