Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Autopilot Beta Test

Oh! I found the problem.
true For me "Drawing Markers" deaktriviert.
Now everything works.
Best ends thanks for the great app.
I'm really excited what you have there on the legs.

The most recent version of the SDK now allows control over the C1 button, so we are looking for feedback on how you would like use both C1 and C2. When making a suggestion, be specific about which Mode(s) it applies to and if there is any difference when Engaged vs Disengaged.

The most recent version of the SDK now allows control over the C1 button, so we are looking for feedback on how you would like use both C1 and C2. When making a suggestion, be specific about which Mode(s) it applies to and if there is any difference when Engaged vs Disengaged.

Not sure if it should be controlled by C1, but is there any way we could quickly toggle between histogram on/off? Perhaps C2 could be used to lock/unlock exposure. I'd also like to be able to set the right dial to change EV values on the fly. Going through the menus to make these kinds of changes is a bit cumbersome..

Reactions: Joel Zieve
I have problem with auto frame.

IPhone is connected to the Osmo.
IPad is connected to the Inspire.
The network between iPhone and iPad is set up.

Question: what do I need calibrating now?
I would my on the iPhone to Inspire. Or?

The condition on the iPhone is very sluggish.
The icons can be activated only with difficulty.
Sometimes I have to react more time tapping to them.

In the orientation of Osmo with the iPhone I have difficulties.
What must be noted here?

Went out to fly a waypoint mission today. Very simple mission with only a few waypoints. After engaging it flew forward but very slowly (speed was set to 50kmh). As it flew forward it jerked every few feet. I changed the responsiveness setting to every possible setting with no effect. I didn't think this would fix it since it wasn't flying at the speed that was set anyway.

EDIT: I am pretty sure there is nothing wrong with my AC because DJI Go and other Waypoint software works perfectly.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadAustin
When not engaged, I would like to configure C1/C2 with similar options to DJI GO. I frequently press it now using autopilot thinking it will toggle camera 90deg, lol. When flying manyal, could use the button to set waypoints quickly. I would also like option to switch between inline controls and camera/map only view; but would like this for engaged also.

When engaged, this could get interesting. Perhaps toggle camera trigger on/off (opposite of current state, then superceeded by future flight controls). Another idea may be to set mark points along a path for future use in the next flight run.

The RTH issue appears to be corrected with the latest firmware on the P4. We are continuing to do more extensive testing and will report back on the other aircraft types.

Reactions: Joel Zieve
The firmware released on Apr 7, 2016 does correct the RTH issue for the Phantom 4, but the issue is still present for all other aircraft types. From DJI on why this firmware release did not contain the fix:

The background is this firmware release also wasn’t planned and primarily addressed a security enhancement we wanted to push out ASAP (and didn’t need all the normal flight control testing). With the exception of some minor issues, firmware for flight control, camera etc weren’t updated to the next major release (which is still under testing - and has been for a while) where the issue below is fixed. The “planned" firmware release is currently the end of April.

Thank you A.L. and congratulations on a very cool product. Some input / questions on the beta (build 93, on iPad Mini 4 cellular with Phantom 3 Pro firmware 1.7.0060)...

My favorite mode is Cruise, with Vertical/Pitch/Roll on joystick and Yaw Focus on Subject. It's great to fly around while the camera stays aimed at what I want! A few points:
  • When I override by flipping the Flight Mode switch to "P", I regain full control EXCEPT that the gimbal pitch seems to stay under Autopilot influence -- I can change the pitch using the gimbal wheel, but when I let go of the wheel the pitch wanders back to "Subject focused" position. Is that expected? I'd like the P/F switch to toggle between Autopilot and FULL manual control.
  • Setting the Focus to Airspace is a GREAT feature, and I find network Airspace works pretty well, however I can't get peer-to-peer Airspace to stay connected reliably. I've tried letting the devices (iPad4 and iPhone6) connect via bluetooth, and forcing them to connect via WiFi (by disabling bluetooth on both), and either way the connection seems to be fragile when they're more than 20 or so feet apart. This is true whether I'm at home, or out in an open field. Any tips, or improvements coming, that would help with peer-to-peer Airspace range/reliability?
Regarding Zip Line, which I think could be a very useful mode:
  • The new uses of C1/C2 are great, and I notice "Use Aircraft Location" gives the ability to set a Center location for Zip line, which I hadn't otherwise noticed. I don't see any description in Flight School, but trying it out, I set points A and B, then set a Center point outside that A-B line. The effect seemed to be moving both points (A and B) of the zip line, to create a new line of the same length and parallel to the original, but centered on the new Center point. Is that right? It would make sense, just want to confirm that's what one should see.
  • The on-screen Position slider is a good way to move along the zip line using touch, but personally I don't like that using the stick just has the effect of repositioning that slider. In my mind the stick should give "instantaneous" control of the aircraft the way a stick normally does -- i.e. holding the stick in an off-center position should cause the aircraft to move (along the zip line) with corresponding direction and speed, until you let go of the stick (or until the end of the zip line is reached), at which point the aircraft should stop. Fortunately, stick control DOES seem to pretty much work that way in Waypoint mode, so for now I use Waypoint mode with two points rather than Zip Line.
Using Waypoint mode with two points (Joystick Focus and Joystick Mission Type), I get a nice "manual control" zip line setup, with some caveats:
  • IMO since stick movement implies both direction and speed, I don't think stick-induced movement should be limited by the Default Preferred Speed. But at any rate, if I set the Default Preferred Speed high enough to not limit things, and then hold the left stick fully in a given direction, the aircraft moves quickly (as expected), but unfortunately overshoots the endpoint by a good 10 feet or so before correcting itself and coming back to the proper endpoint. This seems like a hazard, so hopefully it can be addressed.
  • When using only slight left-stick movement, the aircraft moves correspondingly slowly (as expected), but only after there is an initial "hard twitch" in the desired direction. The initial "twitch" seems proportional to the Default Preferred Speed, so I assume what happens is: When the stick is initially moved even slightly slightly off-center, the aircraft gets an initial "jolt" of full Default-Preferred-Speed before settling down to a slower speed that corresponds to the stick movement. At any rate, this behavior results in camera jerking when moving even slightly, so hopefully it can be addressed.
  • When the "zip line" endpoints are at different altitudes, the aircraft tends to travel first horizontally then vertically (rather than diagonally) when moving along the line. I understand the Flight School explanation that this is due to aircraft vertical speed limitation, however I'd prefer if the behavior (or at least an available option) was to adhere strictly to the "zip line" paradigm, by limiting speed as needed to maintain correct diagonal travel.
  • Finally, I notice that control of camera pitch (and camera/aircraft yaw) using the right stick is very sluggish (pronounced slowness and lagging response) compared to normal non-Autopilot control. Can this be addressed?
Regards,
-Mike

Last edited:
When I override by flipping the Flight Mode switch to "P", I regain full control EXCEPT that the gimbal pitch seems to stay under Autopilot influence -- I can change the pitch using the gimbal wheel, but when I let go of the wheel the pitch wanders back to "Subject focused" position. Is that expected? I'd like the P/F switch to toggle between Autopilot and FULL manual control.
This is by design. If you want full control the idea is to disengage Autopilot. As for the pitch wandering back, when you roll the gimbal wheel when Autopilot is engaged, it should calculate the implied altitude offset of the subject and apply it to the mode control. If you don't see this happening, please send a screen recording showing the issue to [email protected].

I can't get peer-to-peer Airspace to stay connected reliably. I've tried letting the devices (iPad4 and iPhone6) connect via bluetooth, and forcing them to connect via WiFi (by disabling bluetooth on both), and either way the connection seems to be fragile when they're more than 20 or so feet apart. This is true whether I'm at home, or out in an open field. Any tips, or improvements coming, that would help with peer-to-peer Airspace range/reliability?
It really just depends on the environment that you are in, but even in the best case all you can really hope for is 200 ft. This is why we created the network airspace option. Is there a reason you don't want to use it?

The effect seemed to be moving both points (A and B) of the zip line, to create a new line of the same length and parallel to the original, but centered on the new Center point. Is that right?
Yes that is the expected behavior. The feature was already there, even before the C1/C2 options. You can long press on the map to access the option, or even just drag the center point (circle marker) to do the same thing.

Fortunately, stick control DOES seem to pretty much work that way in Waypoint mode, so for now I use Waypoint mode with two points rather than Zip Line. Using Waypoint mode with two points (Joystick Focus and Joystick Mission Type), I get a nice "manual control" zip line setup
If you want this behavior, this is exactly what we recommend, just do it as a Waypoint Mission with Joystick Mission Type.

IMO since stick movement implies both direction and speed, I don't think stick-induced movement should be limited by the Default Preferred Speed. But at any rate, if I set the Default Preferred Speed high enough to not limit things, and then hold the left stick fully in a given direction, the aircraft moves quickly (as expected),
The idea was it gives you the choice. If you want to set a high preferred speed to access the full range, you can do that but the joystick will be more sensitive. If you know you only want to fly at slower speeds and want finer-grained control over the speed changes, use a lower speed. Not sure why we should disallow the second case.

but unfortunately overshoots the endpoint by a good 10 feet or so before correcting itself and coming back to the proper endpoint. This seems like a hazard, so hopefully it can be addressed.
In the end, this is a combined flight control mode and it is doing what you are telling it to do, at least partially. The same thing happens if you program turns that are too tight to handle given the preferred speed. We are constantly improving the flight control algorithms and are aware of these limitations (they are listed in flight school), and over time we may decide to include options to enable/disable such features. For now, some things still require operator discretion.

When using only slight left-stick movement, the aircraft moves correspondingly slowly (as expected), but only after there is an initial "hard twitch" in the desired direction. The initial "twitch" seems proportional to the Default Preferred Speed, so I assume what happens is: When the stick is initially moved even slightly slightly off-center, the aircraft gets an initial "jolt" of full Default-Preferred-Speed before settling down to a slower speed that corresponds to the stick movement. At any rate, this behavior results in camera jerking when moving even slightly, so hopefully it can be addressed.
This is actually due to a firmware issue that is documented here.

When the "zip line" endpoints are at different altitudes, the aircraft tends to travel first horizontally then vertically (rather than diagonally) when moving along the line. I understand the Flight School explanation that this is due to aircraft vertical speed limitation, however I'd prefer if the behavior (or at least an available option) was to adhere strictly to the "zip line" paradigm, by limiting speed as needed to maintain correct diagonal travel.
Another one of those "operator discretion" areas of the flight controller at the moment.

Finally, I notice that control of camera pitch (and camera/aircraft yaw) using the right stick is very sluggish (pronounced slowness and lagging response) compared to normal non-Autopilot control. Can this be addressed?
Try using smaller values for the Gimbal Responsiveness Setting.

@Autoflight Logic Build 95 question- how do you setup verticle waypoints? I didn't see anything in the beta flight plan doc and can't find any unique settings in the app. I assume this means you can fix horizontal travel (ie. Hover) and have the AC travel up/down/yaw/etc. would be great for automated, stationary 'birds eye' shots

@Autoflight Logic Build 95 question- how do you setup verticle waypoints? I didn't see anything in the beta flight plan doc and can't find any unique settings in the app. I assume this means you can fix horizontal travel (ie. Hover) and have the AC travel up/down/yaw/etc. would be great for automated, stationary 'birds eye' shots
Yes, just select "Vertical" as the Waypoint Action type (same place as selecting Hover).

Yes, just select "Vertical" as the Waypoint Action type (same place as selecting Hover).
Ok I see it now. Somehow my iPhone didn't process the update. Ok so will it ignore the minimum 2mph horizontal speed once at the WP and go to zero when it starts the verticle action?
I'll try to combine this with a 90deg gimbal directional focus point right under the WP. I would also need to add a course Yaw reference to produce the 'birds eye' effect. Any way to control the yaw speed? I know, I ask for a lot

hello, I have a problem flying inspire 1 pro with X5 camera in waypoint mode. I've tried engaging camera photos set to interval shooting 2,3 or even 5 seconds (dji minimum) but it works only when I choose jpeg. With raw or raw+jpeg it give "camera error -1999" and doesn't start shooting

hello, I have a problem flying inspire 1 pro with X5 camera in waypoint mode. I've tried engaging camera photos set to interval shooting 2,3 or even 5 seconds (dji minimum) but it works only when I choose jpeg. With raw or raw+jpeg it give "camera error -1999" and doesn't start shooting
Not all combinations of settings are possible. 10s is the shortest interval possible on the X5 when recording RAW. Even though DJI GO allows the selection of 5s, it won't actually capture at that interval.

It isn't under our control. This is a limitation imposed by DJI given the current level of technology relative to SD card bandwidth capabilities.

Reactions: wisesafe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adidasCampusShoes