Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Autopilot Beta Test

Well I'm screwed! I've updated firmware and it's pouring buckets here in Clearwater Florida and no chance of it stopping till like Monday or Tuesday! Really want to get to test this product out!
In the Netherlands we have a code orange gale with heavy showers as well right now.
Bummer. I wanted to check this out right away.

In the Netherlands we have a code orange gale with heavy showers as well right now.
Bummer. I wanted to check this out right away.
Same here in Ireland, weather closing in.
@autoflightlogic, it looks like your western European testers will not complete all of your conditions by Sunday night due to weather. We do want to test this more fully. Can you please extend the Sunday cutoff for us Europeans?

I've updated the Firmware and installed the app. But It's pouring rain and gale forced winds here in Melbourne Australia for the next few days, I already replied to the email and told them I won't be able to participate as I can't fly in the next few days.

A word on the feedback deadline: we are going to be as reasonable as we can. As you may know, Apple limits TestFlight users to 1,000 at once, so this is not a limit that we are imposing. At the moment 545 people have installed it out of 1,000 possible, so you probably don't need to worry as the people who haven't even installed will be the first to get bumped. As a side note, even if you do get bumped, it won't delete the build from your device if you already have it installed, you just won't get updates.

Hey guys,

Is it need to downgrade the firmware? I had downgrade my phantom3 professional firmware..However, keep failing to downgrade the controller firmware? Any solution for this? THanks.

Video is sped up x2

Here is a video using the follow mode. Everything worked great. I was adjusting some of the controls the first minute or so but they were all responsive and worked as intended. I do wish the video feedback was better than it is, other than that I have no complaints this far. Will test more modes later today.

Is it need to downgrade the firmware?
If you mean you've installed the beta firmware from the DJI beta test, we have not tested Autopilot with that version, but other users claim that it works. I do not believe there is a way to downgrade.

If you mean you've installed the beta firmware from the DJI beta test, we have not tested Autopilot with that version, but other users claim that it works. I do not believe there is a way to downgrade.

From the email :
Inspire 1 and Phantom 3 Users

Before installing and running Autopilot 2.0, make sure to update to the beta version of the firmware for your aircraft type. The firmware must be installed on both the aircraft and the remote control.

So am i need to do anything with the firmware of aircraft and controller? Or am i just stick with the latest firmware from dji web? THANKS

Video is sped up x2
Nice video Shawn. Would you mind emailing the telemetry data to [email protected]? I noticed that the aircraft appeared to catch up, slow down, get behind, and then speed up repeatedly. You can get the telemetry files via these instructions:
http://autoflightlogic.com/beta/autopilotdji/flightschool#flight-recorder

I do wish the video feedback was better than it is
Are you referring to the video preview quality and latency in the app? Unfortunately that is largely out of our control as it is a built in control that DJI provides as a stock component in their SDK. We have asked them to improve it.

Or am i just stick with the latest firmware from dji web? THANKS
You have to use the beta firmware we are distributing. Some users claim that Autopilot works with the beta firmware that DJI has distributed as part of their beta test, but we have not verified that.

Nice video Shawn. Would you mind emailing the telemetry data to [email protected]? I noticed that the aircraft appeared to catch up, slow down, get behind, and then speed up repeatedly. You can get the telemetry files via these instructions:

Are you referring to the video preview quality and latency in the app? Unfortunately that is largely out of our control as it is a built in control that DJI provides as a stock component in their SDK. We have asked them to improve it.

You have to use the beta firmware we are distributing. Some users claim that Autopilot works with the beta firmware that DJI has distributed as part of their beta test, but we have not verified that.

Thanks. I will try to fly and test it out 2morow. As i am unable to downgrade the beta firmware in the controller.

Yes I am referrrin to the preview quality and latency in the app. I wish DJI would improve it.

Same here in Ireland, weather closing in.
@autoflightlogic, it looks like your western European testers will not complete all of your conditions by Sunday night due to weather. We do want to test this more fully. Can you please extend the Sunday cutoff for us Europeans?
+1, it's going to be monday at least before I can share any results.

It seems like we have good weather in Switzerland tomorrow, just can't wait to test and share with all of you. Hope they give you some more time Lake_flyer...

Thanks to Autoflightlogic, i will report back as soon as possible

We very much appreciate your feedback, but comments like this aren't very useful. The whole reason for having a beta test is to both identify bugs and usability issues, and of course nothing is final. Instead, please provide constructive criticism when giving feedback such as: the interface was confusing to me because of "x", and I think you should specifically do "y" to address the issue. Additionally, this is what how you need to handle "y" on smaller and larger format screens, and in portrait versus landscape orientation.

Fair enough I guess but note on the video how Zip Line didn't really do what it's supposed to do. I didn't have this problem with the other modes but Zip Line kept stumping me in the field.
I think you really need a youtube video showing the set up of each mode explaining the sliders and mods and how they affect the mode.
Common feedback you're receiving from multiple testers is that the interface is train wreck so I think you really need to consider it. Seems like the interface is confusing to everybody.
It's very difficult to say what needs to change because as I said it's not clear what each mod does. I can't find a walkthrough of how the 3DR solo does it but that would be a place to start.
If you want anyone to redesign your interface that's a whole different ballgame to just bug testing and feedback.
I can tell you you're pretty safe to scrap the portrait orientation as the way it's used is exclusively landscape, also your settings page scrolls almost 4 pages deep and I can't think of any other App which does it this way.
Your interface is very text heavy but at the same time the text doesn't clearly explain each mod.
IMG_8360.PNG

This is the interface for Zip Line, actually it's not even half of it since you have to scroll to get the rest. I understand it almost all fits in if you view in portrait but practically everyone will have their iPhone mounted on the controller. I'll install on my iPad mini to see if the interface is improved there but I hope you can see that you could improve screens like this.
As for Zip Line it looks relatively obvious... set point A then set point B then go right. Well see my video for what fun that was. Not helping in the situation was the default map mode set to standard which is just street maps. If I'm offered in a field or whatever this just shows blank. Consider hybrid or satellite as standard map view. Why does't point A have a map pointer selection? How many times are device and RC separated? Tutorial just brings up the wordy manual which definitely needs to be read multiple times.

I'll reply to the other feedback on email unless you'd like me to put it here as well.
As I said I was very impressed and excited with the Focus mode, the rest just seemed to make more clutter for that mode. If you make an App with just Focus mode and clean up the interface I'd be very happy.[/QUOTE]

Well,
Ive now had a few flights with the beta. I must say its amazing, yes its a little buggy, I just had the app crash on my iphone 6+ while playing with focus mode & cant get zipline to work properly.

I nervously keep my finger close to the over-ride switch, But hopefully that will change with time.

I must say, well done to Autopilot, the software has amazing future potential. I now don't need a second camera operator anymore.

Reactions: damoncooper

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk