Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Autopilot Beta Test

I was flying for some SAR training last weekend and part of the training was to find a patient near some GPS coordinates. I could see the location on a topo map app but was in an area that did not have cell service so there was no way to use the map location on the Autopilot app.

I think using Target mode would have worked great. I knew there was no way to enter coordinates into the app so I didn't really use the app at all. After looking at the POI section of many of the modes, I can see it shows the coordinates when you let up after moving the icon. It would be interesting if as you are moving the icon around, it would dynamically update the coordinates or allow you to enter them manually. Not sure how this would work without any network connectivity.

Is this type of functionality on the roadmap? I know waypoints is a future feature, I would like to see a basic way to show gps coordinates while setting the POI. Seems like this would be a fairly easy thing to add and would even be helpful once waypoints is added.

Reactions: damoncooper
@autoflightLogic
VCTech released a second app called Litchi magic leash.
This app sends gps coordinates via cellular to the second device connected to the remote, so that you don't have to carry a remote controller for Follow me to work.
I think this is a great idea, and maybe there is a way to add that functionality into autopilot as well.

Reactions: Kilrah
Flew several packs this morning and wasn't able to get zipline to work even once. Entered in points without 200 yards of each other 75 to 100 ft climb, 100 feet from takeoff first point, and it would never hit my point A. Even during orbit mode it would WAY over shoot the desired path, this was with maybe 9Mph winds. I then thought since I have my Braking and Attitude settings to 75 each this may be the cause of the overshoot. Changed them back to 100 and it wasn't enough help to warrant a permanent change in my settings. Focus gimbal control is going to open up some cool solo operator shots and I look forward to testing the follow me option. I did have an issue with the gimbal resetting to backwards or not aligning after disengaging, forcing me to shut down the app, open DJI GO and reset gimbal from there. I have a back button mapped but it only works if the DJI app is connected.

Has there been another update to the SDK beta Firmware . I went for a test flight this morning and I got the warning on the DJI GO App telling me there was the new update available please update. Shall I leave it as it is and ignoring?

I was out flying with Autopilot and found that the program was crashing a fair amount. While it's not difficult to restart the program in flight I also noticed that it has no memory of what mode you were in, which means you have to reset it all.Which takes a bit of time and is a problem when filming. I use an ipad mini 2 which has the A7 chip. Anyone else find this to be an issue.Unless I'm doing something wrong I wouldn't mind - in next upgrade-a more stable platform with an ability to recall what ( flight mode etcetera) mode you were flying in.
I had the same issue today for the first time. Cool day running Ipad Air 2 on a P3 Pro. Running orbit mode, it crashed 3 times and had to start all over again as the setting were all lost.

Sorry, still uploading. Try back in 20 minutes. I'm off to bed.

Hey do you live in Oz? Costal scenery looks familiar. Love the video. I have P3P too. Can't wait for AP public release. Wished I had signed up for B testing earlier.

I am seeing that orbit doesnt keep the subject centered on the video above. slightly off center like it is laging. same with my experience

Had plans to go test AP today but when i got there i was just out of cell range so no maps.

Pilot mode does not apply yaw and lateral movements in a coordinated fashion. It's like it does a little lateral then yaw in a repeating manner. Net effect is that the subject is allowed to move away from center then has to catch up. I have a need for the subject to stay dead center. Any way we can improve this function? This is my most critical need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No overheating.It was / is a nice cool day.
We will keep an eye out for this. Build 30 addresses some of the stability issues.

Is this type of functionality on the roadmap? I know waypoints is a future feature, I would like to see a basic way to show gps coordinates while setting the POI. Seems like this would be a fairly easy thing to add and would even be helpful once waypoints is added.
It is on the roadmap for waypoint mode.

@autoflightLogic
VCTech released a second app called Litchi magic leash.
This app sends gps coordinates via cellular to the second device connected to the remote, so that you don't have to carry a remote controller for Follow me to work.
I think this is a great idea, and maybe there is a way to add that functionality into autopilot as well.
Already on the roadmap: http://autoflightlogic.com/beta/autopilotdji/support#03245374

Flew several packs this morning and wasn't able to get zipline to work even once. Entered in points without 200 yards of each other 75 to 100 ft climb, 100 feet from takeoff first point, and it would never hit my point A. Even during orbit mode it would WAY over shoot the desired path, this was with maybe 9Mph winds.
We are working on more enhancements to the flight controller, so will be very interested to see if you experience the same results in the next build.

I did have an issue with the gimbal resetting to backwards or not aligning after disengaging, forcing me to shut down the app, open DJI GO and reset gimbal from there. I have a back button mapped but it only works if the DJI app is connected.
There is a new button in the More menu on the Flight Dashboard that allows you to reset the Gimbal to FPV from within Autopilot.

Been doing some further testing on Orbit and Follow Me. it seems to get better the more you use it.
The performance of Autopilot is affected by many, many variables, and at some level it does rely on the operator to choose sensible values for the given situation. As you use it more and become more comfortable, this is exactly what we would hope: that you get increasingly better results.

I am seeing that orbit doesnt keep the subject centered on the video above. slightly off center like it is laging. same with my experience
We are updating the flight controller to handle this better in the next build as well.

Got the same message, not using SDK
Ignore it.

Pilot mode does not apply yaw and lateral movements in a coordinated fashion.
Are you using an Inspire or a Phantom 3? There are many variables that can cause this to happen, but the most common is this: http://autoflightlogic.com/beta/autopilotdji/flightschool#limitations-yaw

Autoflight, Do you have any take on adjusting the Attitude and Brake settings having an effect on overshooting desired points? Also, is there a way to disable roll control while using sticks for gimbal control? I can't see a use in a ongoing roll adjustment, more likely just to accidentally throw off everything then fight to get it leveled again.

Sorry, the yaw rate problem was on a Phantom 3. So increase yaw rate then?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Autoflight, Do you have any take on adjusting the Attitude and Brake settings having an effect on overshooting desired points?
I don't think those settings are causing the issue. Wait for the next build and let us know if it still happens.

I can't see a use in a ongoing roll adjustment, more likely just to accidentally throw off everything then fight to get it leveled again.
Do you mean when you move the left joystick left/right? Can you just not touch that joystick?

Sorry, the yaw rate problem was on a Phantom 3. So increase yaw rate then?
At the end of the day, the Phantom 3 doesn't have gimbal yaw, so Autopilot has to yaw the whole aircraft, which isn't as precise as the Inspire. Honestly, we recommend that you get an Inspire for the best results, but if that isn't possible, then you need to use settings that don't require Autopilot to yaw the aircraft so slowly (fast speed, smaller radius, etc).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcusFalc