Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Autopilot Beta Test

Thank you for mentioning that. I am aware of the feature to use iOS device as the tracking device, I was asking about an external GPS device, external to the IOS device as well as the remote control that is. Such external device would be connected to iOS device via bluetooth, and the GPS signal from such an external device be used as the GPS signal for autopilot modes such as follow me. Examples of such external GPS device could be a Garmin wearable watch. In the use case that I described where a water skier is towed behind a boat, I would not want the skier to have any iOS device, but instead a waterproof GPS wearable. I hope that makes sense.

Unless you are pretty high up i dont think you are going to get good framing without operating it manually. The offset is only for the aircraft which will still be flying autonomously and that way you can concentrate on the framing of the gimbal manually.

I tried what you described but ended up abandoning the approach and enlisted help to fly the bird and control the gimbal both manually in order to get the shot I wanted. I was hoping that an external GPS wearable would eliminate the need to have two operators for this type of shots next time.

Thank you for mentioning that. I am aware of the feature to use iOS device as the tracking device, I was asking about an external GPS device, external to the IOS device as well as the remote control that is. Such external device would be connected to iOS device via bluetooth, and the GPS signal from such an external device be used as the GPS signal for autopilot modes such as follow me. Examples of such external GPS device could be a Garmin wearable watch. In the use case that I described where a water skier is towed behind a boat, I would not want the skier to have any iOS device, but instead a waterproof GPS wearable. I hope that makes sense.
Hey JayBurd. You will find reference to this here:
Flight School - Autoflight Logic

I would also suggest thoroughly reading the Flight school before flying.

I am looking forward to reading your post about how well this works with a very fast moving water skier (I am assuming this a good slalom skier.). The reason I suggested the manual method is because I am skeptical about how well the skier will be framed even with the GPS unit. You shouldn't need two operators to operate the camera btw since the aircraft will be flying itself.

Reactions: JayBurd
Hey JayBurd. You will find reference to this here:
Flight School - Autoflight Logic

I would also suggest thoroughly reading the Flight school before flying.

I am looking forward to reading your post about how well this works with a very fast moving water skier (I am assuming this a good slalom skier.). The reason I suggested the manual method is because I am skeptical about how well the skier will be framed even with the GPS unit. You shouldn't need two operators to operate the camera btw since the aircraft will be flying itself.

Thanks! I missed that part about external Gps from the flight school material. Boating season is over for where I am. My next shoot will be a car race and I am not sure how to set that up yet. I know for sure I don't want to give the ipad to the driver, but bluetooth gps will be out of range.

Thanks! I missed that part about external Gps from the flight school material. Boating season is over for where I am. My next shoot will be a car race and I am not sure how to set that up yet. I know for sure I don't want to give the ipad to the driver, but bluetooth gps will be out of range.
If you are patient, they are said to be developing another method of using a secondary device connection for following. With this you could use a secondary device such as an iPhone. Both primary and secondary devices will need data/internet connections.

I know that there are now 54 pages in this thread now but there is a lot of great information that could be gleaned from reading them.

Reactions: JayBurd
Purchased at day one and read the last 20 pages, but couldn' find any hint....

Isn't it possible to save planned flights? Or perhaps I have overlooked something?

No. I understand there are no saving option available at present.

Thank you for the clarification.
Hopefully this will be possible in one of the next versions in the near future, because it would be nice to use Autopilot instead of DJI Go waypoints for "time lapses" over several months (Construction sites, season changes etc).

Can anyone tell me how to recenter the camera/gimble after completing an automated manuver? The C1 button does not seem to work?

recentering does not work for me either. i disengage and it resets... the i re engage and go on. i am just doing work at this very moment and would like to tell Jim and his team that this app is not only good its not eaven super good it is: superultrauniversalmegagiga awesome and i can not wait for the upgrades with this bird :) yeah baby!!!! keep it up guys :D [emoji41]

recentering does not work for me either. i disengage and it resets... the i re engage and go on. i am just doing work at this very moment and would like to tell Jim and his team that this app is not only good its not eaven super good it is: superultrauniversalmegagiga awesome and i can not wait for the upgrades with this bird :) yeah baby!!!! keep it up guys :D [emoji41]

So what do you mean by "re engage and go on"? When a particular automated maneuver is exited, the camera/gimble seem to be left in the last position they were pointing. This could mean to the aft of the craft. If I want to view forward to pilot the aircraft back home, how do I get the camera facing forward without having to exit AF?

i was flying in focus mode and disengaging is stopping the recording... then the camera resets to pilot view (front).
when i am done with a shot (any mode) and ready to bring her home i disengage and fly home.

If the gimbal does not automatically reset to FPV at disengage (due to a bug in the SDK, should not happen all the time), there is an option in the more menu to force it.

I'm a forum newbie and have a real simple question. How do I search ONLY this thread (but search the entire thread). Clearly 54 pages is a lot to scroll through when I'm looking for answers to questions that have likely been asked before. Thanks!

I'm a forum newbie and have a real simple question. How do I search ONLY this thread (but search the entire thread). Clearly 54 pages is a lot to scroll through when I'm looking for answers to questions that have likely been asked before. Thanks!
Hi Joel, welcome to InspirePilots forum. Great question which others would benefit from by asking themselves. Click on the Search Forums on the second line at the top. You can then enter a few keywords or phrases for what you are looking for. There are options for restricting the search to certain sub-forums and with other parameters like relevance. However, you may find that it is worth paying regular visits to follow the discussions. The important rule is to at least check if the subject has been raised previously before you raise a new thread. You will find there is a lot of knowledge and experience available from members so there is never a dumb questions, just a dumb answer.

In Target mode, is the normal behavior to rise to the selected altitude, then move to the chosen "mark"? it would be nice if you could instead choose to have it go directly to the chose spot at an angle instead changing altitude first. (yes, I realize you can do this with zip line - but then again, you can also mimic the current Target behavior with zipline)

It will only rise first (without lateral movement) insofar as it is outside the range implied by the Altitude Priority Setting. You can choose larger values for altitude priority to lessen this effect at your own risk.

Last edited:
No, but the normal camera settings are probably going to be higher priority.
OK thanks, hope you can get to that at some point. But I understand it is not a high priority, I can use the DJI go app on the gimbal remote and have remote focus and use Autopilot on the aircraft control and have everything I need.

Reactions: AndrewH

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop