Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Autopilot Beta Test

path inspector doesn't seem to correctly calculate time for vertical type (ascending) waypoints?

I set 2 WP very close together but at different height - ie, 10 ft to 300ft - it is not able to correctly calculate the time it takes to get to 2nd waypoint. always "0:00"
The time estimate is lateral movement only right now.

can a Waypoint focus on an earlier (smaller number trigger) or will it always focus on the more recent trigger?

for example, WP1, 2, 3 with triggers 1,2

WP1 => trigger 1
WP2 => trigger 2
WP3 => defaults to trigger 2.... can it be set to focus back on trigger 1 or do you need a new trigger 3 to replicate that behavior?

can a Waypoint focus on an earlier (smaller number trigger) or will it always focus on the more recent trigger?
Waypoints do not "know" about the Focus Triggers. One of the main difference in our approach is that Waypoints are solely concerned with the Flight Path, not the gimbal direction. The Focus Triggers themselves can actually be located at any arbitrary point on the path, which means when the aircraft reaches that point, the trigger will be activated.

iPad version. Build 59. Has only one waypoint. And long tap brings up no selection. My iPhone has ability to see 4 at present build 57 and I can add and manipulate waypoints. Nothing happens on iPad version. If I press on the purple plus sign and keep pressing, program closes

Last edited:
Ok, tried this on my iPhone. It doesn't do anything when I engage. Without instructions, it's anybodies guess. All waypoints were set and proper mode. It engages, but just sits there. Doesn't go to waypoint one and commence. It says joystick. Don't know how to change that. It's a pain on the iPhone. Can't wait til the iPad version works

The new mode looks very powerful and fairly intuitive after playing with it a few times. I have a couple questions.

Is there a way to see a list of waypoints? Or someway to enter a list of gps coordinates? Looking for a easier way to enter gps coordinates for search and rescue needs.

I like the path inspector and it is a nice touch seeing where the camera is pointing. You can see it pretty well inside the house, not sure how easy it will be to see in bright sunlight. Might be nice to have a bigger graphic.

I don't see any way to see changes in height in the flight path. The path inspector doesn't show it. Having the ability to visually see altitude changes would be very helpful. The map allows you to tilt the view which may allow you to see this. Google maps shows this and it is very helpful. Healthy Drones shows it as well.

Are you working on the ability to import a flight path? Either a txt file or kmz type? I could see this as part of the sharing function.

Hi
Thanks for a new impressive mode in autopilot, and i got a question on that just to be sure how it works

When aircraft get to a trigger it would point the cam towards
The POI/subject?
Would the cam hold on that POI until next triggerpoint?
When it comes to a new trigger would it turn cam fast or smooth towards the next POI?

Thanks

What is focus trigger altitude for?
Assuming you are using a Subject strategy, it is the same as in all the other modes. It is what altitude the subject is at. For example, if you want to focus on the top of a light house it might be 100ft.

Is there a way to see a list of waypoints? Or someway to enter a list of gps coordinates? Looking for a easier way to enter gps coordinates for search and rescue needs.
No list right now, but if you tap the search icon it gives you the option to choose input, and then you can enter coordinates directly. Once you tap done, it will move the map to that location and give you options to create a waypoint there, etc.

I don't see any way to see changes in height in the flight path. The path inspector doesn't show it. Having the ability to visually see altitude changes would be very helpful. The map allows you to tilt the view which may allow you to see this. Google maps shows this and it is very helpful. Healthy Drones shows it as well.
The altitude shows when you stop dragging it. We are adding it back in on drag, but its a tradeoff in overlay size (obscuring the map while dragging), and information density.

When you refer to the altitude in Healthy Drones, do you mean the actual Polyline on the map in 3D mode? I don't believe the Google Maps 2D iOS SDK can do this, even when tilted.

Are you working on the ability to import a flight path? Either a txt file or kmz type? I could see this as part of the sharing function.
It is on the road map. Can you email support with a few example files?

When aircraft get to a trigger it would point the cam towards
The POI/subject?
Would the cam hold on that POI until next triggerpoint?
When it comes to a new trigger would it turn cam fast or smooth towards the next POI?
If you enabled interpolation it will be smooth, otherwise it will pan fast (but still with the typical Autopilot butter). You can drag the path inspector and watch the focus overlays render in real-time to see the effects of enabling/disabling interpolation.

In regards to your previous question regarding waypoint editing: Yes I could like to see a list where we could edit altitudes and speeds while being able to see the altitides and speeds of all the other waypoints. A checkbox whereby you can change them all at once would be great too. It would be nice if, when changing them all at once, we could also choose Absolute (reset the altitude of each one to the same altitude) or Relative (change them based on their current altitude). Maybe if there is a list of waypoints, there could be a checkbox that reads "Lock" which would, when checked, make all sliders move when moving any one of the sliders. Then have a separate Relative/Absolute toggle.

Another idea for editing existing waypoints: Maybe we could go into a different mode similar to Flight Dashboard in order to maximize screen real estate.

When drawing a path with the pencil, when letting go, it would be nice to be able to choose how many waypoints will be used.

Is there a reason why we can only set waypoint reference to center and not choose ourselves to place it somewhere manually? (maybe its possible but i haven't figured out how) I want to be able to set the waypoint center so that when i rotate the path i can choose where it rotates from.

I just read the description about not having waypoints continue the mission if disconnected. This is very disappointing and I will not be purchasing your app. It's what I waited for. I have farm land I need to reach out to and this simply won't work. It's too bad, because it shows such promise. I think you need to rethink this. My next option is litchi for iOS. I really don't need someone to supervise my activity and tell me what's not safe. Especially since the application is over empty farm land. It's too bad

I just read the description about not having waypoints continue the mission if disconnected. This is very disappointing and I will not be purchasing your app. It's what I waited for. I have farm land I need to reach out to and this simply won't work. It's too bad, because it shows such promise. I think you need to rethink this. My next option is litchi for iOS. I really don't need someone to supervise my activity and tell me what's not safe. Especially since the application is over empty farm land. It's too bad
I am sure i will be corrected if I am wrong but i think since he is not using the SDK implementation of Waypoints that it is not possible to have this feature. However, with a 2 km range you think you could do a lot. Many users have even been reporting much more than 2KMs.

I have been playing with the focus triggers. I really love the idea of removing the camera operations from the waypoints (which is something we discussed previously :) It does add another level of complexity though which could put off some users.

It would sure be nice to have a short video on Focus triggers for the beta testers so we dont have to spend hours figuring out how it works with each different option.

Also, what is the Mission Mark for?

I am sure i will be corrected if I am wrong but i think since he is not using the SDK implementation of Waypoints that it is not possible to have this feature. However, with a 2 km range you think you could do a lot. Many users have even been reporting much more than 2KMs.
Yeah, I just have a few applications I can't reach in distance. Was hoping for SDK implementation. Especially since DJI hyped up 3rd party use and this program was my hope.

Yeah, I just have a few applications I can't reach in distance. Was hoping for SDK implementation. Especially since DJI hyped up 3rd party use and this program was my hope.

I've done 13,000 feet without any controller mod. You can do over 33,000 feet (5+ miles) with 27min of flight with a controller mod, antenna and a battery mod.

Not sure what kind of farm you have but that should cover quite a bit of ground.

I agree with the Autopilot folks that disconnected out-of-sight flight without a way to intervene immediately isn't a safe way to go.

Last edited:
In regards to your previous question regarding waypoint editing: Yes I could like to see a list where we could edit altitudes and speeds while being able to see the altitides and speeds of all the other waypoints. A checkbox whereby you can change them all at once would be great too. It would be nice if, when changing them all at once, we could also choose Absolute (reset the altitude of each one to the same altitude) or Relative (change them based on their current altitude). Maybe if there is a list of waypoints, there could be a checkbox that reads "Lock" which would, when checked, make all sliders move when moving any one of the sliders. Then have a separate Relative/Absolute toggle.
Definitely open to having advanced Waypoint editing for power users, but it may not make the cut for v3 as we would really like to have this out before the end of the year.

Another idea for editing existing waypoints: Maybe we could go into a different mode similar to Flight Dashboard in order to maximize screen real estate.
We added a button the bottom left of the Mode Controls pane that opens a full screen map. Is this what you mean?

When drawing a path with the pencil, when letting go, it would be nice to be able to choose how many waypoints will be used.
Definitely considered it. Would you want to specify it in average separation distance, or just a fixed count?

Is there a reason why we can only set waypoint reference to center and not choose ourselves to place it somewhere manually? (maybe its possible but i haven't figured out how) I want to be able to set the waypoint center so that when i rotate the path i can choose where it rotates from.
If you long press anywhere on the map, you have given the option to move the Waypoint reference, at which point it will prompt you if you want to move all the waypoints relative to the new location or not.

It would sure be nice to have a short video on Focus triggers for the beta testers so we dont have to spend hours figuring out how it works with each different option.
The tutorial video is in progress, but if you want more help in the meantime, email support.

Also, what is the Mission Mark for?
See a few posts back.

I just read the description about not having waypoints continue the mission if disconnected. This is very disappointing and I will not be purchasing your app.

I want to be very clear about our decision making process on this. The primary reason we decided to implement Waypoint Mode in Autopilot without lost connection mission continuation (LCMC) was because Autopilot already uses a custom flight controller, and it is this fact that has allowed us to create a truly differentiated product offering.

The safety issue was a secondary concern but it did not drive the decision. As you point out, there are totally legitimate use cases for LCMC, but the vast majority of our target audience does not want to use Waypoint Mode for this purpose. Most of our users want to use Waypoint Mode to script cinematic aerial sequences for the purpose of video production. To that end, Autopilot offers things that our competition (who presumably use the SDK implementation) simply cannot offer, and this is why people continue to choose our product.

Having said that, we aren't opposed to creating a different mode or app that is targeted toward the commercial / industrial market where LCMC may be the rule rather than the exception, but in the meantime we want to deliver on our promises to our current user base.

I am curious however, as you indicated that you have a few applications that you can't reach. What percentage of missions fit this bill? If it is just a few out of most, why not use Autopilot for all the normal missions and then use something else for the long distance ones? It is a lot of functionality to give up for your normal missions just because a few of your missions are out of range.

Reactions: damoncooper
Specifically, I fly over farm land to monitor crops and look for feral pigs that mess up the farm land. In some instances, how ever abrupt, connection would be lost and disrupt the feed. In your program, it stops the progression. There's quite a bit ov area to cover and sometimes I fly from one location and need more distance for some areas.

Yesterday. I set up path along the golf corse and flew from my front yard. There was a momentary loss of signal and the program stopped and just sat at its waypoint. Depending on channels you use in your area and wifi around the community, disconnects can happen and even momentarily which stops the flight path. With only so much battery per flight, a glitch where the phantom just sits there burns up time that could be used for the rest of the mission. I understand people want areal photography application. I do as well. I just have reason for longer distances. .....and I can also see the need for the drone to progress on its path if there is a building in the way that momentarily causes disconnect. Path is broken. Program does not proceed. Yeah, I would like you to come up with something using the waypoint SDK. But I'm not waiting any more. I though what you were releasing was it. I can get a second program, but was hoping for an all in one solution. Just add waypoints 2 with the SDK....as another module to purchase on the same program, put a disclaimer on it and let the public deside how they use it. My hope was for a DJI ground station altnative

Specifically, I fly over farm land to monitor crops and look for feral pigs that mess up the farm land. In some instances, how ever abrupt, connection would be lost and disrupt the feed. In your program, it stops the progression.
Are we talking about complete RC disco, or just loss of telemetry? The pause on telemetry loss behavior can be disabled in the settings. Telemetry loss is defined as "Autopilot hasn't received telemetry from the aircraft within 2 seconds, but the RC is still connected".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ai900exam