Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery Mod Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why battery redundancy matters. Flying single TB48 and got this about a mile out at sea. Made it back ok but with zero battery telemetry.
8fdfcb158238b98857d2d3950d96a664.jpg

GULP!!!! how many cycles are on that pack? is it newish?

Only about 6-7 cycles. It's modded though. Looks like it may have somehow gotten to where the on/off switch no longer functions properly. Need to pop the top and take a look. Rest assured it's on the bench until I get the issue fixed.

Reactions: DamesNY
I ordered extra batteries ( TP2700-6SP)for redundancy from thunder power back in April and still no joy. Thinking to cancel and go with another tb48

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why battery redundancy matters. Flying single TB48 and got this about a mile out at sea. Made it back ok but with zero battery telemetry.

Holy crap! Glad nothing bad happened. I am currently sitting on my aux batteries with no charger...ugh.

Reactions: damoncooper
I frankensteined a bricked TB48 With a damaged board but good cells and a good board from a forum member. She's back online and ready to accept an aux !! This thread is full on !!

9a809d4c1401f41bea0e5feb9c6d28d9.jpg

8fdfcb158238b98857d2d3950d96a664.jpg
Hey Damon, sorry but I didn't understand your battery mod. Can you please explain in detail, flight time achieved with two TB's ? How did you connect them? Is it better then the HV 2700?
Thanks in advance

Hey Damon, sorry but I didn't understand your battery mod. Can you please explain in detail, flight time achieved with two TB's ? How did you connect them? Is it better then the HV 2700?
Thanks in advance

Flight time with two TB's when I tested a few months back on my I1v1 X3 was about 23min to 10%. Not great flight time at all compared to other battery combos tested but two batteries are better than one for a bunch of reasons.

I used a modified TB48 for the main battery and a regular TB48 for the external. Externally mounted TB48 is connected to the main TB48 via a modified DJI charging cable with an XT60 connector on one end.

Update: Wild bucking bronco. No amount of gains reduction would calm it.

Verdict: unusable.

Hypothesis: the aircraft has built in assumptions about its center of gravity and VPS may still be used even when it's technically turned "off" in the app. Flying above the VPS altitude range produced slightly more stability but it was still frighteningly unstable.

Result: I'm going to have to run single battery over the ocean and in the wind and risk being stranded at sea due to the DJI "battery nanny" who will limit propulsion output when battery temps here in the tropics jump > 43C and I'm fighting tropical offshore winds to get home.

Wish me luck.

Ok so maybe false alarm. I noted in the place I was flying that even with a single battery, on takeoff without VPS the aircraft is a bucking bronco in the wind, and with a giant 2ft thick concrete sea wall (iron-filled I'm sure) and other iron-filled concrete slabs nearby that my problem might be compass related.

Trying to takeoff from the concrete slab gives insane 1900+ compass mod readings and the aircraft throws a compass error and motors won't arm. So taking off from there was a non-starter, but my takeoff spot is only a few feet away, so I think that's the more likely cause of the instability, not the second TB48 strapped underneath with VPS off.

Will give it a shot again today from a totally different location to test.

Flight time with two TB's when I tested a few months back on my I1v1 X3 was about 23min to 10%. Not great flight time at all compared to other battery combos tested but two batteries are better than one for a bunch of reasons.

I used a modified TB48 for the main battery and a regular TB48 for the external. Externally mounted TB48 is connected to the main TB48 via a modified DJI charging cable with an XT60 connector on one end.
It's cleare now, thank you sir.

Reactions: damoncooper
Ok so maybe false alarm. I noted in the place I was flying that even with a single battery, on takeoff without VPS the aircraft is a bucking bronco in the wind, and with a giant 2ft thick concrete sea wall (iron-filled I'm sure) and other iron-filled concrete slabs nearby that my problem might be compass related.

Trying to takeoff from the concrete slab gives insane 1900+ compass mod readings and the aircraft throws a compass error and motors won't arm. So taking off from there was a non-starter, but my takeoff spot is only a few feet away, so I think that's the more likely cause of the instability, not the second TB48 strapped underneath with VPS off.

Will give it a shot again today from a totally different location to test.

Damon, I'm curious, which props are you using? I've yet to have any flight issues with the modded battery setup. The only thing I've noticed is a louder noise from the Inspire due to carrying the extra weight.

Damon, I'm curious, which props are you using? I've yet to have any flight issues with the modded battery setup. The only thing I've noticed is a louder noise from the Inspire due to carrying the extra weight.

T-Motor 14x4.8 carbon fiber props.

T-Motor 14x4.8 carbon fiber props.
That's very interesting. I use the same but don't seem to see the same results. I only get a little more sluggish acceleration. Top end speed seems to be roughly the same and I've never come across any crazy flight characteristics that would make it too difficult to fly. I'm curious why this is affecting some but not others.

That's very interesting. I use the same but don't seem to see the same results. I only get a little more sluggish acceleration. Top end speed seems to be roughly the same and I've never come across any crazy flight characteristics that would make it too difficult to fly. I'm curious why this is affecting some but not others.

Not sure I'm following? My instability with the aux TB battery attached has nothing to do with my props, as noted above. Large masses of iron in near proximity are my issue :)

Not sure I'm following? My instability with the aux TB battery attached has nothing to do with my props, as noted above. Large masses of iron in near proximity are my issue :)
Ah! I mis-read your post. My bad. That makes more sense.

I've read through every page of this thread before, but I swear I recall some posts of people having trouble with control in the air. At the same time, I haven't used anything yet in odd configurations or extremely large batteries.

Any new battery combos you've tried lately? It was the dual 6s 2700s that have given you the best results, correct? I recently got an email from HobbyKing that they accidentally put "in stock" on the 6600 Multistar LiHVs and that they are actually backordered. Their website said backordered again for a couple of days and now in stock again. Whatever. Sadly, I canceled my order for now to wait until they are truly back in stock unless some folks here know for sure. It is odd to me that there aren't many sources for LiHVs and of those sources, not many have them in stock.

Ah! I mis-read your post. My bad. That makes more sense.

I've read through every page of this thread before, but I swear I recall some posts of people having trouble with control in the air. At the same time, I haven't used anything yet in odd configurations or extremely large batteries.

Any new battery combos you've tried lately? It was the dual 6s 2700s that have given you the best results, correct? I recently got an email from HobbyKing that they accidentally put "in stock" on the 6600 Multistar LiHVs and that they are actually backordered. Their website said backordered again for a couple of days and now in stock again. Whatever. Sadly, I canceled my order for now to wait until they are truly back in stock unless some folks here know for sure. It is odd to me that there aren't many sources for LiHVs and of those sources, not many have them in stock.
I got my Multistar 6600 LiHVs, they are in stock as of late last week. Can't find a **** charger to save my life though...

I got my Multistar 6600 LiHVs, they are in stock as of late last week. Can't find a **** charger to save my life though...

I grabbed the skyrc d100 its cheap and works pretty well ? 50w per channel or 100w single channel

Do you find it bulky? I'm really waiting for this one to come back in stock: Turnigy Accucel-6 80W 10A Balancer/Charger LiHV Capable

The D100 (on a spec sheet) seems quite big and I'd really love something easy to take with me on trips.
Considering the size Accucel is better, considering the precision of balancing maybe the D100 is better. Considering power, D100 is better and faster.

Reactions: KyleMaxxUav
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephaineC