Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery Mod Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone looked into the cylindrical 18650 type batteries for this? the last time i checked (over a year ago) they offered the best power to weight ratio, but lacked the C rating necessary to be a main flight pack.
People were building them into long range FPV planes along with standard Lipos. This essentially lets the standard Lipo take the discharge and the 18650 doesn't get as stressed.

It might be an idea for this project.

Reactions: damoncooper
Has anyone looked into the cylindrical 18650 type batteries for this? the last time i checked (over a year ago) they offered the best power to weight ratio, but lacked the C rating necessary to be a main flight pack.
People were building them into long range FPV planes along with standard Lipos. This essentially lets the standard Lipo take the discharge and the 18650 doesn't get as stressed.

It might be an idea for this project.

Seen them but the configs (typically 7V) and C rating plus my lack of knowledge about them has kept me from trying them.

Interesting idea though and we'd welcome any ideas on how to make it work or testing help!

30min or bust :)

Getting ready now for test with 2 x 52000 6S Multistars. Thats a whopping 16,100 mah. Lets see...

Im sat looking up at a 13,000 6s thinking, hmmmmmmm
definately too heavy though at 1.7kg

Seen them but the configs (typically 7V) and C rating plus my lack of knowledge about them has kept me from trying them.

Interesting idea though and we'd welcome any ideas on how to make it work or testing help!

30min or bust :)
http://industrial.panasonic.com/cdbs/www-data/pdf2/ACA4000/ACA4000CE240.pdf

I think there are some that can discharge at 2 or 3 C. The PDF is of a typical one. How does 560g for 5400 to 5800 Mah on a 6s stack up?

In theory they should work just fine, I have seen reports of people flying them as their main flight pack on a cuad, but only in really really easy conditions.

How about multistar 5200 3s 10c ?

I use that multistar 5200 10c 4s parrall x2 only custom build tarot 650 sport 360kv 17x5.5 give me 10400mah for hw 4s 20a esc... and it hover for 40min... those are great and light battery ... i would like to open one of my tb47 ... but was concern about whats is the minimun c rating for inspire ? Lower c mean lower weight... but bigger capa..

Correct me if i am wrong... :)

http://industrial.panasonic.com/cdbs/www-data/pdf2/ACA4000/ACA4000CE240.pdf

I think there are some that can discharge at 2 or 3 C. The PDF is of a typical one. How does 560g for 5400 to 5800 Mah on a 6s stack up?

In theory they should work just fine, I have seen reports of people flying them as their main flight pack on a cuad, but only in really really easy conditions.

That power/weight ratio is excellent.

The TB48 is 670g for 5700mah for comparison.

Is there a config for sale someplace that would theoretically work for us?

How about multistar 5200 3s 10c ?

I use that multistar 5200 10c 4s parrall x2 only custom build tarot 650 sport 360kv 17x5.5 give me 10400mah for hw 4s 20a esc... and it hover for 40min... those are great and light battery ... i would like to open one of my tb47 ... but was concern about whats is the minimun c rating for inspire ? Lower c mean lower weight... but bigger capa..

Correct me if i am wrong... :)

Yes I've tried the 5200 3S 10C Multistars and unfortunately the results were pretty good but weren't near my leading contender right now at 27:36 (2 x nano 2200mh 6S). I'll dig up my notes and post an edit here.

EDIT: got 26:34 with these Multstars. Pretty good. I will probably try them again with a different mounting position to nail the CG, which is important.

Last edited:
Reactions: fei8820
Ok guys, not that good. 27:42 but down to 4 %. Interesting to know that aux batteries were at 20%. 1340 grams extra weight. It managed, but not very well, it was at the limit. Still flyable, but not very good. In fairness, it was a bit windy.

Also note, it was rather cold. 4 degrees C.

So, in summary, best by far so far, 1 x 5200 6S Multistar. For me at least.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 124
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    451.2 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 121
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    460.8 KB · Views: 103
Yes I've tried the 5200 3S 10C Multistars and unfortunately the results were pretty good but weren't near my leading contender right now at 27:36 (2 x nano 2200mh 6S). I'll dig up my notes and post an edit here.

EDIT: got 26:34 with these Multstars. Pretty good. I will probably try them again with a different mounting position to nail the CG, which is important.
2200 definally alot lighter n than 5200 ... those grams play very important role in this setup as well.. perharps i just get 2200 instent don't sacrifly it performance... i wondering if those 2200 got 10c?...

I haven't messed around with doing this Multi Battery Setup on my I1P yet but have built many other Multi Rotors which all use standard Lipos and have always run Multiple Parallel battery setups on those.

I'm impressed with what you guys have been doing.

Anyone played around with eCalc - the most reliable RC Calculator on the Web
I used it a lot for calculating different scenarios on previous craft of mine.

Side Note.

Common Sense RC (Lectron Pro) Batteries. The Manufacturer is right down the street from me and have mentioned in the past that they were possibly interested in making custom battery setups. I haven't used their batteries and don't know how they compare to the Nano's or other ones you guys are testing.

Anyways, I just thought I'd mention it.

Following this thread...

For those of you that did this mod, how in the heck did you get the solder to stick on the pos and neg terminals?..For some reason when I try to solder the needed pos and neg..they don't stick at all? Any trick to it?

For those of you that did this mod, how in the heck did you get the solder to stick on the pos and neg terminals?..For some reason when I try to solder the needed pos and neg..they don't stick at all? Any trick to it?

Use a bigger blob of solder and hot glue or tape in place once set.

Well I think i found my problem...not hot enough soldering iron, so the new one is ordered...Along with a XT60 Y adapter so i dont have to solder two separate xt60's to the battery.
My goal is 25 mins. That is all I want. The ability to stay up for 25 mins during a Search and rescue if needed.

Keep us posted!
just try it today to carry 4 x 6S lipo batterties with my i1.
it is a windy day. the weight of the lipo are 1.24kg, plus the i1 it self it is around 4.4kg.
It can fly up but very unstable, when it goes up to the height of 1.5m it seems still fine with that weight but once it tranfer to the flying mode, uoooo..... very very unstable and extreamly hard to control ( winds are coming in all different direction ), I landed immediatly and given up and to carry 2 instead of four ( they are nano tech 6S 2200mah 45-90 C and weight around 720g ). than everything back to usual.
Damon, I think the best extra weight are the 1550mah or even 1800mah. ( not talking about the flying time but for the best flying style in shape of our inspire. To figurewise the weight I think in between 500g to 700g anything more than that it won't flying in a good shape ). I will swap the 1550mah to the underneth the arm tomorrow to see will it make much different.

To whom is watching this , I am just sharing, nothong else. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20151216_122240.jpg
    20151216_122240.jpg
    597.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 20151216_161636.jpg
    20151216_161636.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 152
just try it today to carry 4 x 6S lipo batterties with my i1.
it is a windy day. the weight of the lipo are 1.24kg, plus the i1 it self it is around 4.4kg.
It can fly up but very unstable, when it goes up to the height of 1.5m it seems still fine with that weight but once it tranfer to the flying mode, uoooo..... very very unstable and extreamly hard to control ( winds are coming in all different direction ), I landed immediatly and given up and to carry 2 instead of four ( they are nano tech 6S 2200mah 45-90 C and weight around 720g ). than everything back to usual.
Damon, I think the best extra weight are the 1550mah or even 1800mah. ( not talking about the flying time but for the best flying style in shape of our inspire. To figurewise the weight I think in between 500g to 700g anything more than that it won't flying in a good shape ). I will swap the 1550mah to the underneth the arm tomorrow to see will it make much different.

To whom is watching this , I am just sharing, nothong else. Thank you.

I'm waiting on 2 2650mah nanos. I'm hopeful that may get me more time than the 2200's.

Thanks for the update!

Do you have any other combos to try?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxtimber