Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Be Carefull

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeap is there, but in not way this should allow the throttle to turn the inspire one off while in fly and descending don't u think...? how ever i was not flying in doors anyway

I am just tossing it out there per my initial post.

I can't explain what you experienced but as Star Trek's Spock has said, "...when you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth..."

i know what happened.

you pulled the the throttle stick all the way back for the 3 seconds or what ever and it sent the shutdown command.

i read on the dji forums this happening to people. there are about 3-6 stick positions you can shut the props down and people have been triggering them just by chance during flight and kablamo!

i've tested this out, with the gear raised i stood under my inspire with my hand on whilte flying, sent the kill command and it will stop the props.

there is no fail-safe programmed in that says if the inspire is 2ft off the ground the shutdown commands don't work, they work fine at any time

you were up high enough you probably could had restarted the motors back up before it hit. let this be a lesson to everyone else, don't ever pull the left stick all the way back to speed up a decent. if you bottom the thing out on the sidewall of the controller push it back up to neutral IMMEDIATELY or you might have a red baron on your hands.

used inspires that have crashed come up here and there for less then 1000.00 bucks on ebay, depending on what broke you could bring it back to life but parts are not cheap, the position module alone is 100.00 but i say 600 give or take you could probably get it working again

Last edited:
Reactions: Gary Bateman
i know what happened.

you pulled the the throttle stick all the way back for the 3 seconds or what ever and it sent the shutdown command.

i read on the dji forums this happening to people. there are about 3-6 stick positions you can shut the props down and people have been triggering them just by chance during flight and kablamo!

i've tested this out, with the gear raised i stood under my inspire with my hand on whilte flying, sent the kill command and it will stop the props.

there is no fail-safe programmed in that says if the inspire is 2ft off the ground the shutdown commands don't work, they work fine at any time

you were up high enough you probably could had restarted the motors back up before it hit. let this be a lesson to everyone else, don't ever pull the left stick all the way back to speed up a decent. if you bottom the thing out on the sidewall of the controller push it back up to neutral IMMEDIATELY or you might have a red baron on your hands.

used inspires that have crashed come up here and there for less then 1000.00 bucks on ebay, depending on what broke you could bring it back to life but parts are not cheap, the position module alone is 100.00 but i say 600 give or take you could probably get it working again

If you have your hand on the bottom of the Inspire will think it's on the ground and full throttle stick down will indeed shut off the motors.

Full throttle stick down while in the air should otherwise NOT shut down the motors.

Reactions: Mufo
Correct. Your test is flawed, the Inspire shuts down motors only if the stick is fully down for 3 seconds, the motors are already at idle, and the aircraft's altitude doesn't change during these 3 seconds (i.e it's on the ground and won't go any further down once the motors stop).

Of course there might be a flaw in the implementation or some weird condition or bug that made the aircraft for example not see the altitude change when there was one which is why it's important to report the issue and forward log files to DJI to investigate the issue, but the design goal is correct.

hehe ok guys, good luck with that. however it perfectly explains what happens to mufo and his situation, and i read about 5 other people who had the same thing happen on dji's official forums.

since you guys are so confidant go ahead and try it yourself and let me know how it works out for you, make sure you catch the crash on camera. even if both of you managed to do a full down stick decent for 1 minuet and the motors don-t turn off it just means with some inspires the kill command wont go through and others it does. it's a un-disputed fact almost all the inspires behave differently and none of them work exactly alike, to many different devices, to many firmware updates too many different combinations for all the settings to line up perfectly for a fly-away or outta control crash.

i caution everyone to take what happened to mufo's inspire and don't push your luck. if something causes a person's inspire too crash thank your lucky stars it wasn't your toy and you can learn from their bad luck. don't be like kilrah and damoncooper with the attitude "it's not going to happen to me" because odds are they will be the new "my inspire grew a mind of it's own it's now a skid-mark on the street" topics on this site.

"fyi no i did not cover the sensor" in my experiment. doesn't matter, in my book the motors shouldn't ever turn off with the gear up. what happens if your in a major up draft on a hill and you have full down throttle and your still gaining altitude? just saying...

Last edited:
my bad, i'll fix it. back to the matter at hand? anyone else wanna argue with me?

the purpose for this site is to help each other out, not point figures play the blame game or a pissing contest over whos right and wrong. mufo's copter fell outta the sky, thank him for telling us what happened in the hopes it doesn't happen to someone else. im pretty confidant my explanation is accurate and i can prove this situation has happened to other people. could i be wrong? hell yeah but i'd like to see someone come up with a better reason. mufo's red green locator lights under the motors turned off and the only thing on was the rear strobe light and the thing fell out of the sky, something sent the shutdown command.

Last edited:
...mufo's red green locator lights under the motors turned off and the only thing on was the rear strobe light and the thing fell out of the sky, something sent the shutdown command.

1e9494df0b206c608e42ca07e6746e16691b2ccc7e573c32234ee5bb427d7803.jpg

Reactions: Daryl
Just pointing out an obvious question, was that final battery firmware upgrade completed before start of your flight?
There isn't that much indication for ONLY battery firmware upgrade, until battery level indicator start to do quick flash the middle led. There is enough time to start your flight while Inspire is getting to flash update to your battery. I remember this behavior during my last firmware update, after the battery completed flashing, it resets power output briefly.

hehe ok guys, good luck with that. however it perfectly explains what happens to mufo and his situation, and i read about 5 other people who had the same thing happen on dji's official forums.

since you guys are so confidant go ahead and try it yourself and let me know how it works out for you, make sure you catch the crash on camera. even if both of you managed to do a full down stick decent for 1 minuet and the motors don-t turn off it just means with some inspires the kill command wont go through and others it does. it's a un-disputed fact almost all the inspires behave differently and none of them work exactly alike, to many different devices, to many firmware updates too many different combinations for all the settings to line up perfectly for a fly-away or outta control crash.

i caution everyone to take what happened to mufo's inspire and don't push your luck. if something causes a person's inspire too crash thank your lucky stars it wasn't your toy and you can learn from their bad luck. don't be like kilrah and damoncooper with the attitude "it's not going to happen to me" because odds are they will be the new "my inspire grew a mind of it's own it's now a skid-mark on the street" topics on this site.

"fyi no i did not cover the sensor" in my experiment. doesn't matter, in my book the motors shouldn't ever turn off with the gear up. what happens if your in a major up draft on a hill and you have full down throttle and your still gaining altitude? just saying...

Did it yesterday. All good. Came down at max decent from 120m. No issues.

CSC needs to be active at all times for safety reasons.

Having the ability to ditch in case of emergency is critical in situations where there is a danger to persons or property on the ground.

Reactions: The Editor
Just got off with tech support via web and phone support, Was told by 2 independent techs that it should never shut off in flight with left stick down no matter how long you hold it, but it will however shut down with sticks in start up position. I know i have descended many times with throttle stick down max for long decent... Just a little info...

Actually this is a UNREAL that after all the in air flight issues that can occur, dji doesn't simply make it a priority of using something like altitude to prevent motor shut down in flight. I have made a lot of shots while Descending/Yawing/Back Pitch/Roll Rt --- Can't believe how lucky Ive been by not maxing them out in that position.

Seems like it should be easy and ESSENTIAL to fix in update if they can use altitude as redundant function to not enable motor shut off....

Last edited:
Just got off with tech support via web and phone support, Was told by 2 independent techs that it should never shut off in flight with left stick down no matter how long you hold it, but it will however shut down with sticks in start up position. I know i have descended many times with throttle stick down max for long decent... Just a little info...

Actually this is a UNREAL that after all the in air flight issues that can occur, dji doesn't simply make it a priority of using something like altitude to prevent motor shut down in flight. I have made a lot of shots while Descending/Yawing/Back Pitch/Roll Rt --- Can't believe how lucky Ive been by not maxing them out in that position.

Seems like it should be easy and ESSENTIAL to fix in update if they can use altitude as redundant function to not enable motor shut off....

See my post above regarding safety. The "startup position" aka CSC is essential for the safety of people and property on the ground, especially in flight.

You should understand how to invoke engine shutdown and be prepared to use it if a life threatening situation were to arise where you needed to kill the motors and ditch the aircraft to save injury, death or destruction on the ground.

I agree CSC should be active for motor shut off on the ground, however a dropping inspire can do alot more damage to persons and property...

Just got off with tech support via web and phone support, Was told by 2 independent techs that it should never shut off in flight with left stick down no matter how long you hold it, but it will however shut down with sticks in start up position.

well there is confirmation right there, "should" they didn't say it can't or it's impossible or "software prevents it" i already know i can shut the motors down on my inspire in the air, i've done it.

lots of different tablets, lots of firmware versions lots of OS's... i think this topic has run it's course at this point.

Yes of course the software is designed to prevent it... but the point is that it may fail at preventing it under certain conditions that haven't been determined yet.

Nothing is "impossible" regardless of how much effort you put in trying to prevent it, so you won't have anyone involved in tech and who knows what they're talking about say something is "impossible" or "will not happen". It's programmed not to shutdown in flight, but there can always be a bug that hasn't been found before that can cause it to happen anyway. Just like Windows shouldn't crash but occasionally does. My phone is not supposed to reboot itself out of the blue, yet that happens. Cars are not supposed to stop responding to the gas pedal and start accelerating on their own, but it has happened. Aircraft engines are designed, tested and certified to never ever throw out parts radially through their nacelle should they fail, but that still happens once a year. Repeat with anything technological in this world.

Last edited:
Can someone be kind enough to describe a dangerous situation where it is prudent to shut off the motors while in mid air to create a safer situation. I am not being sarcastic and I'm genuinely intrigued to hear an example of this scenario from someone.

Can someone be kind enough to describe a dangerous situation where it is prudent to shut off the motors while in mid air to create a safer situation. I am not being sarcastic and I'm genuinely intrigued to hear an example of this scenario from someone.
During a site risk assessment you should (if possible) locate two 'ditch sites' that you can use in an emergency. Ideally these would be open areas (fields, large open spaces etc).
In the event of your aircraft developing some kind of fault where it is heading towards say a busy road, or school or built up area and you have limited control and have identified a major problem with your control link etc or mechanical problem. It would be more prudent to initiate a kill motor command over your ditch site than allow the craft to enter into dangerous airspace above a freeway or heavily populated area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide