Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Broken arm repair Inspire 1v2

Reaction score
Can the outer carbon fiber tube be repaired? I can work with carbon fiber but all of the parts available for purchase are the entire leg. Does the entire leg need to be changed?

A06CE122-3C6F-452B-949B-43441F550D9C.jpeg

Can the outer carbon fiber tube be repaired? I can work with carbon fiber but all of the parts available for purchase are the entire leg. Does the entire leg need to be changed?

View attachment 29713
Unfortunately yes, there's no way to reliably fix this kind of damage. You may be able to find just the motor boom assembly on eBay and guide the wiring thru, but it is a PITA. Re-soldering antenna pads is another difficult task, requiring good DIY skills. Your best bet is to deal with entire arm assembly, make sure to purchase Right Side Arm ...

Reactions: RMF808
“Unfortunately yes, there's no way to reliably fix this kind of damage. You may be able to find just the motor boom assembly on eBay and guide the wiring thru, but it is a PITA. Re-soldering antenna pads is another difficult task, requiring good DIY skills. Your best bet is to deal with entire arm assembly, make sure to purchase Right Side Arm ...“

“Reliably fix it”? I’ve been working with electronics and carbon fiber for over 20 years. Looks like I’m going to do the repairs on my own. I like PsITA. It can’t be harder than soldering Tello motors haha. Maybe I’ll do a complete tear down/rebuild video. Thanks for the input.

“Be sure to buy the right arm”...? That’s the left or port side arm broken....are you saying that I need to buy both arms for balance?

Last edited:
"That’s the left or port side arm broken....are you saying that I need to buy both arms for balance?"

No. Accordingly to DJI's terminology this is RIGHT ARM, God only knows why :) ...

BTW, proper Inspire 1 wiring replacement and soldering is a minor issue for skilled DIY person. However, carbon fibre tube broken at THIS spot will be extremely difficult to patch with required reliability. BTDT with the most advanced technology available, and failed badly during aggressive flight test. Virtually every motor boom tube of this kind (with so called "camouflage" fibre pattern) breaks on impact at this spot, just next to a T-clamp. There's not enough available area to apply the reinforcement and epoxy glue. The most advanced glue for this kind of repair/assembly is 3M Scotch Weld 2016, used by airspace industry. No way, trust me ...

Reactions: RMF808
My name is Steven A. Halford. For 10 years I was the production manager for Air Tech streamlining. We were the world's largest manufacturing company for fiber glass motor cycle fairings. We worked with all the factories in R&D and the race teams. We did every thing from conception's to production. Working with carbon fiber is not a big deal for me. While I would just buy a new arm you can repair your arm. It would not be possible to do the repair on the outside of the tube due to the location of the break. The repair would have to be done from the inside. If you are interested I can tell you how. It is not easy and the materials are expensive.

"That’s the left or port side arm broken....are you saying that I need to buy both arms for balance?"

No. Accordingly to DJI's terminology this is RIGHT ARM, God only knows why :) ...

BTW, proper Inspire 1 wiring replacement and soldering is a minor issue for skilled DIY person. However, carbon fibre tube broken at THIS spot will be extremely difficult to patch with required reliability. BTDT with the most advanced technology available, and failed badly during aggressive flight test. Virtually every motor boom tube of this kind (with so called "camouflage" fibre pattern) breaks on impact at this spot, just next to a T-clamp. There's not enough available area to apply the reinforcement and epoxy glue. The most advanced glue for this kind of repair/assembly is 3M Scotch Weld 2016, used by airspace industry. No way, trust me ...

Thank you so much for your help! I’ll be using resin and carbon fiber cloth for the repair but now it sounds like I will reinforce both sides for necessity and balance.

I’ve made surfboards and done boat glass/carbon fiber repairs for a long time now and it’s really easy. The big things are attention to detail, steady hand & a respirator.

This is me at work haha

Crazy about right/left side terminology. They must be on the other side of the planet or something hehe. Thank you for the clarification.

Attachments

• 8AD0D77F-BBEA-42A7-8B27-BE0F03033223.jpeg
    8AD0D77F-BBEA-42A7-8B27-BE0F03033223.jpeg
    791.8 KB · Views: 11
Thank you so much for your help! I’ll be using resin and carbon fiber cloth for the repair but now it sounds like I will reinforce both sides for necessity and balance.

I’ve made surfboards and done boat glass/carbon fiber repairs for a long time now and it’s really easy. The big things are attention to detail, steady hand & a respirator.

This is me at work haha

Crazy about right/left side terminology. They must be on the other side of the planet or something hehe. Thank you for the clarification.
I envy your stubborn bravery :D ... Employ inside sleeve and good luck to you!

Thanks, I figured it would be the same repair as a carbon fiber SUP paddle repair. That always includes the inner sleeve for support. I’ve even made full custom shafts from scratch using inserts. It used to be stubborn determination to learn but now it’s self confidence.

Mahalo

Thanks, I figured it would be the same repair as a carbon fiber SUP paddle repair. That always includes the inner sleeve for support. I’ve even made full custom shafts from scratch using inserts. It used to be stubborn determination to learn but now it’s self confidence.

Mahalo
Great. Keep in mind, however, that such reinforcement will create yet another obstacle for wiring when attempting to guide them thru. I've used a tiny steel wire to pull ...

Minor, I work with running wire through sailboats and masts all the time. Can.

Keep us posted :) ...

Aloha. I just did a quick post after a repair day yesterday. I came up with a very easy fix and now I need to do some flight tests. The legs are off just a touch so I may need to calibrate a little. Plus, I’ve come up with an easy way to keep improve the strength of the landing gear.

More details to come

Attachments

• 36FFC782-D617-471D-9B09-411457A98BEA.jpeg
    36FFC782-D617-471D-9B09-411457A98BEA.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
Aloha. I just did a quick post after a repair day yesterday. I came up with a very easy fix and now I need to do some flight tests. The legs are off just a touch so I may need to calibrate a little. Plus, I’ve come up with an easy way to keep improve the strength of the landing gear.

More details to come
Waiting patiently for more ...

I put my inspire into a tree today and when cutting the branch out of the tree and it all falling to the ground it at first appeared the front motor arm was broken where it goes into the center section. Looking at it closer now it looks as if it just came unglued. I can turn it back and forth some but it will not come out. If this just a simple matter of gluing the arm back into the center section? If so what would be the recommended glue? A slow cure epoxy?
thanks
Jeff

I put my inspire into a tree today and when cutting the branch out of the tree and it all falling to the ground it at first appeared the front motor arm was broken where it goes into the center section. Looking at it closer now it looks as if it just came unglued. I can turn it back and forth some but it will not come out. If this just a simple matter of gluing the arm back into the center section? If so what would be the recommended glue? A slow cure epoxy?
thanks
Jeff
Pictures, please ...

I was wrong, the arm is cracked. It is loose and I can turn it. If I turn clockwise it moves inwards. Counterclockwise and it moves out some snd stops into position of proper alignment. Weird, almost like it threads in and out. I’m also wondering what the nut is for that is on the arm?
Thanks for any advise
Jeff

Attachments

• F8FEFF91-C175-47C0-A7D2-539588283FAB.jpeg
    F8FEFF91-C175-47C0-A7D2-539588283FAB.jpeg
    792.3 KB · Views: 3
  • A5A8492B-F642-4E8E-B6C4-9044AF13A009.jpeg
    A5A8492B-F642-4E8E-B6C4-9044AF13A009.jpeg
    932 KB · Views: 3

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics