Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Camera Test: Inspire2 X4 VS Mavic Platinum

Reaction score
Website
nvision4d.com
I tested my two drone cameras today. I wanted to compare my Inspire2 X4S and my Mavic Platinum. My backyard is a great subject because there are a lot of textures in close proximity, grass, wood grain, leaves, brick and then I added the printed page test target that had about 5 sizes of text.

All images were captured in RAW mode, Color Mode=None. I performed NO post processing. I just opened them.

The first images were exposed by using one click below where the zebra disappeared on the target. The 2nd and 3rd images were one stop down. I wanted to see if underexposing a bit was a benefit. Images 1, 2 and 3 were "tap" autofocus. Image 4 was Manual Focus with Focus Assist "High."

The lefthand full image is Inspire and the righthand full image is Mavic. I have to say, I'm impressed with the Mavic, or should I say, I'm disappointed with the X4S. In comparison, the Mavic seems to slightly edge out the X4S in this test, even as the Inspire shoots a larger image. Noise is a major problem at 400 ISO for both cameras.

Interpret this as you will but all-in-all, I'm going to be a glass "half full" guy and say that the Mavic does an awesome job against the X4S instead of saying that the X4S falls short compared to the Mavic.

The file is kind of large as it's full size. I didn't want to reduce it so you could compare it. I attached a thumbnail of what the link is.

http://nvision.s463.sureserver.com/public/Inspire-VS-Mavic_RAW+ISO.jpg

Attachments

• Inspire-VS-Mavic_RAW+ISO_thumnb.jpg
    Inspire-VS-Mavic_RAW+ISO_thumnb.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
I tested my two drone cameras today. I wanted to compare my Inspire2 X4S and my Mavic Platinum. My backyard is a great subject because there are a lot of textures in close proximity, grass, wood grain, leaves, brick and then I added the printed page test target that had about 5 sizes of text.

All images were captured in RAW mode, Color Mode=None. I performed NO post processing. I just opened them.

The first images were exposed by using one click below where the zebra disappeared on the target. The 2nd and 3rd images were one stop down. I wanted to see if underexposing a bit was a benefit. Images 1, 2 and 3 were "tap" autofocus. Image 4 was Manual Focus with Focus Assist "High."

The lefthand full image is Inspire and the righthand full image is Mavic. I have to say, I'm impressed with the Mavic, or should I say, I'm disappointed with the X4S. In comparison, the Mavic seems to slightly edge out the X4S in this test, even as the Inspire shoots a larger image. Noise is a major problem at 400 ISO for both cameras.

Interpret this as you will but all-in-all, I'm going to be a glass "half full" guy and say that the Mavic does an awesome job against the X4S instead of saying that the X4S falls short compared to the Mavic.

The file is kind of large as it's full size. I didn't want to reduce it so you could compare it. I attached a thumbnail of what the link is.

http://nvision.s463.sureserver.com/public/Inspire-VS-Mavic_RAW+ISO.jpg
IF a NEW Mavic comes out with a 1" sensor and can pan left and right the numbers in the MavicPilots section will go through the roof!
and - I'll have the sucker with me at all times instead of taking the jumbo suitcase!

Reactions: Dxtrty
IF a NEW Mavic comes out with a 1" sensor and can pan left and right the numbers in the MavicPilots section will go through the roof!
and - I'll have the sucker with me at all times instead of taking the jumbo suitcase!

I feel the same way. Right now my Mavic backpack is almost always in my car. The Inspire2 still can fly faster and in higher winds but I rarely need fast. So until I replace my Inspire2 gimbal with the new X7, I'm inclined to just let my big ole' case sit on the floor too.

I see room in the DJI line for a hybrid aircraft. Give the Mavic a removable gimbal that functions just like the Inspire2, have us put on landing gear extensions and off we go.

360 coming soon with dual cameras
We've drifted off topic, I guess we are in ATTI mode now....lol... That will be an instant hit I'm sure. For shots that don't require the resolution, it will be a time saver and a great tool. Nice, you'll be able to fly up, snap and land.

I capture panoramas in places that are legal to fly and don't invade or spy, but that attract unwanted attention. The faster I can get up and back down the better. Right now it takes me about 8 minutes to shoot the images I need to stitch. That leaves a lot of time for some ill-tempered joe-public to approach and interrogate me. Anything I can do to get in out is what I strive for.

This will be a great camera to add to the kit. Then, if you still need a larger or higher resolution image, you can still capture and stitch.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frem1962