Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Choosing a Channel

Reaction score
Website
vimeo.com
Hello guys, I am just wondering what channel do I choose when im in custom setting? Sometimes the all channels don't have the green bar present, graph is flat. The flight checklist states channel 32 is the cleanest one but mine only goes to 20. And if there is a long bar of green, it turns into red, saying not stable.

Hello guys, I am just wondering what channel do I choose when im in custom setting? Sometimes the all channels don't have the green bar present, graph is flat. The flight checklist states channel 32 is the cleanest one but mine only goes to 20. And if there is a long bar of green, it turns into red, saying not stable.
That's why you should stay with auto which will give you the most reliable link at all times.
Custom was only put in there to accommodate flying multiple Inspires in the same airspace.
Some illegal channels have now been removed so there are no longer 32 available.

That's why you should stay with auto which will give you the most reliable link at all times.
Custom was only put in there to accommodate flying multiple Inspires in the same airspace.
Some illegal channels have now been removed so there are no longer 32 available.

Ok, so DONT use custom, use Auto. Confusing since people are saying to use custom. That pre-flight checklist states use custom. That pre-flight checklist is no good then?

Ok, so DONT use custom, use Auto. Confusing since people are saying to use custom. That pre-flight checklist states use custom. That pre-flight checklist is no good then?
Auto constantly listens to the level of noise on the frequency in use and will instantly hop to a quieter channel if necessary and will continue to adjust to the best one during your flight.
If you select your own channel based on the low noise floor before you take off and then get 100ft up and 800ft away from your take off point how do you know what the rf noise floor is like at that point? Or if you fly another 50 feet what its like there etc.
My advice would be to always use auto, but it's your Inspire so your choice.

Reactions: kevinlutch
Auto constantly listens to the level of noise on the frequency in use and will instantly hop to a quieter channel if necessary and will continue to adjust to the best one during your flight.
If you select your own channel based on the low noise floor before you take off and then get 100ft up and 800ft away from your take off point how do you know what the rf noise floor is like at that point? Or if you fly another 50 feet what its like there etc.
My advice would be to always use auto, but it's your Inspire so your choice.

Well, that makes sense but why do I get dropped frames when I use auto compared to custom? the video feed sometimes gets pixelated and sometimes the transmission gets lost. Flying blind sometimes. I appreciate your response to this. Please advise.

Is the light bridge frequency the same one that controls the Inspire?
And what do I do, my neighbor just bought the inspire. How do I share the air space with another operator. Or more important what is the procedure if I am up shooting and then another vehicle starts operating near me.

Is the light bridge frequency the same one that controls the Inspire?
And what do I do, my neighbor just bought the inspire. How do I share the air space with another operator. Or more important what is the procedure if I am up shooting and then another vehicle starts operating near me.
No - the light bridge is for video feed only.
Control link and telemetry are via FHSS 2.4ghz link. If another aircraft/Inspire is operating in the same airspace (within 500 meters) then it is advisable to collaborate with the other pilot and pick different custom frequencies. Although you will not have an issue with control of the craft the video feed maybe affected if you leave them both on auto in this scenario.

Well, that makes sense but why do I get dropped frames when I use auto compared to custom? the video feed sometimes gets pixelated and sometimes the transmission gets lost. Flying blind sometimes. I appreciate your response to this. Please advise.
It's impossible to say without knowing exactly what your operating conditions are.
Are you sure the video feed drops rather than it is just changing channels? When the light bridge swaps frequencies sometimes there is a momentary freeze/break up in transmission. However, the feed will normally return and you can fly 'through' this interruption.
How far away from you is the Inspire when this is happening? What orientation are your antenna's?
I have routinely flown out to over 2km (1.3 miles) with no problems whatsoever).

The "hopping" channels in" auto " takes millisecond hence the dropped video frames...i am guessing here

Hi, i have the same problem then James Davis, lots of freezing image, ( 5 to 10 esconde) and pixelated, the radio antenna are vertical, maximun Fly distance was 1km with a lot of that problem.
I reported this to DJI Support, and they say to change the channel to "MANUAL".
What can i do ?
Thanks

For what Its worth, I often see poor video performance with loss of video, breakups and various other video glitches when set to auto. Setting a manual channel has often cleared this up. Maybe the channel selection algorithms need some work.

What the editor says is good advice on coordinating channels though. I fly with a friend (two inspire's) and on a couple of occasions have accidentally left a master (non flying) controller switched on and that's definitely interfered with the video signal on the flying controller. Odd as I would have thought it was mainly a one way transmission (Inspire 1 to controller). But it made a difference all the same.

Since the last 2 major firmware updates I've lost video twice, at a distance of less than 300m in an open field! It came back but it then puts you off flying out at a greater distance. This will have a range of the original vision by the end of the year! And has anyone notice Dji DONT advertise the range anymore on their website. Was 2km when they started selling them.

Since the last 2 major firmware updates I've lost video twice, at a distance of less than 300m in an open field! It came back but it then puts you off flying out at a greater distance. This will have a range of the original vision by the end of the year! And has anyone notice Dji DONT advertise the range anymore on their website. Was 2km when they started selling them.
Remember that if you lose video it is only video not the control Chanel. So if you're flying visually you're still safe.

Have you tried 'Flying through' the loss of signal so flying further to see if it returns?
Do you actually lose it totally or does it freeze momentarily?

No video, and says no signal, really gone down hill since these firmware updates and a wonky horizon, starting to get fed up with it all.

So far my P2 beats the Inspire in the range department , done several tests.
Actual confirmed signal loss or just the warning message? I believe most perceived signal issues are due to warning messages in newer firmware rather than actual signal problems.

Confirmed signal loss as in RTH was activated , so far the Inspire covers half the distance my P2 does

Confirmed signal loss as in RTH was activated , so far the Inspire covers half the distance my P2 does
This can and does often happen depending on distance from controller and battery power left having nothing to do with signal loss, it's called smart return to home and you can cancel or over ride it.

Im watching this thread with baited breath. I have experienced the same thing with my inspire to the point of not flying it for over a month while I researched why I was dropping not only video but aircraft control. I don't with to contradict the editor because he is extremely knowledgable however my experiences also point to firmware changes and though the auto and custom only applies to the video channel used the light bridge unit indeed handles both video and flight control as all four antennas eminate from the rear of it on the aircraft. I have reclaimed the channels that were available when I purchased my inspire, upgraded remote control antennas(multiple times), added boosters(3w per channel), replaced the remote control and eventually upgraded it also, replaced the light bridge unit in the aircraft, and upgraded the aircraft antennas and coax cables. As a note it was an adventure figuring out what antenna connectors on the controller and on the aircraft are for what system as I'm running different polarizations on each system to avoid booster induced interference. I eventually purchased a very cool and somewhat expensive spectrum analyzer for the wifi so I could study my noise floor and interference. Through this I've yet to obtain the 2km advertised, out ranged my phantom 3, or experienced the range others experience in similar environments. I have gone from 300ft to 400ft before loss to 3000ft to 4000ft before loss. As video uses more bandwidth it always drops first however pushing through merely results in loss of all control approximately 100 feet later. I'm awaiting the latest antennas for my controller which given their incredible beam width and high dbic should push my range past my current batteries. I'll be joining DamonCooper in the quest for flight time and additional mah. The only thing I can say for sure is hard facts and straight answers related to range, penetration, connection, and firmware on the inspire are as rare as four leafed clovers and if I wasn't the type to like a challenge I would have sold the inspire already. My best guess is it is heavily influenced by environment, weather, topography, manufacturing inconsistencies, and firmware hmmmmmmm ahhhhhh "impovements" yep that the word I guess.o_O
Haha - Don't worry about contradicting me - always happy to be proved wrong. Sorry, in my earlier post I worded it badly when I said Lightbridge only handles video link. It does of course handle both but only the video feed is affected by manual frequency selection. The RF control link is completely automated (via lightbridge) and utilizes Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum Technology.
The puzzling thing is why only some of you are experiencing reduced range video/control.
Out of interest, those who are experiencing reduced range, can you confirm the following:

You are turning on the remote control before anything else?
You are allowing several seconds of the RC being on before switching on the Inspire? (Leave it around 10 seconds before turning on the Inspire to allow the FHSS control to 'listen' for a noise free channel.)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop