Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Collision avoidance on the Inspire 1 coming sooner than you think?

I would think the FAA and MOT in Canada, if they had any brains, would mandate this feature to be mandatory as it would make flying a whole lot safer.
Personally, I think this feature will be required on all drones sooner than later.

Ummm. No. The FAA should only regulate the new pilots thats don't take the time (months even years) to master flying. I've been flying for over 12 years without one incident. Just because others have not took the time to learn how to fly (and all the other things to think about) does not mean everyone should have a blanket government mandated rule.

Reactions: DrMrdalj
I agree 100%.

But in the long run we would both be wrong, we live in an age where people expect, count on technology to replace their incompetence.

We can not control the irresponsible, but if we can reduce the amount crashes they have with a bit of technology, it's a win win for everyone.

No, it is statisticaly proven that you are not right. I have extensive knowledge in road traffic safety, and vast exerience in automotive industry, technology and driver education, so I have plenty of real world case studies that prove otherwise...

We can control irresponsibility - that is what are laws for, that is what we pay our goverments for, that is why we educate drivers and operators, issue licenses etc.

On the other hand, car or truck with speed controler (tempomat), with side cameras and lane departure alarm and with distance-tracking "radar" which engages automatic brakes - does not garantee in any way that you will not make huge mess if you do not pay attetntion to the road and the traffic - these systems will just help you to correct your error more quickly and increase your chanse of survival...

As long as you have human operators, it is not technology which makes any significant difference but education and training and attitude of human operators. Tech aids can make their human tasks a bit easier if they KNOW strenghts and weaknesses of technology, as long as they are trained to know how to use tech aids, as long as they have responisble attitude which does not rely on tech but on attention and sound judgement... So, until we get extensively tested and completely autonomus vehicles and drones - tech aids would not compensate for lack of training and attention.

Therefore I am realy scared of tap-fly pilots and drones...

The noobs will be lured to a false sense of security and still mess them up by coming up under overhangs and tree branches.
Yes and hopefully those noobs are not in any goverment and demand this on all drones in the future.

No, it is statisticaly proven that you are not right. I have extensive knowledge in road traffic safety, and vast exerience in automotive industry, technology and driver education, so I have plenty of real world case studies that prove otherwise...

We can control irresponsibility - that is what are laws for, that is what we pay our goverments for, that is why we educate drivers and operators, issue licenses etc.

On the other hand, car or truck with speed controler (tempomat), with side cameras and lane departure alarm and with distance-tracking "radar" which engages automatic brakes - does not garantee in any way that you will not make huge mess if you do not pay attetntion to the road and the traffic - these systems will just help you to correct your error more quickly and increase your chanse of survival...

As long as you have human operators, it is not technology which makes any significant difference but education and training and attitude of human operators. Tech aids can make their human tasks a bit easier if they KNOW strenghts and weaknesses of technology, as long as they are trained to know how to use tech aids, as long as they have responisble attitude which does not rely on tech but on attention and sound judgement... So, until we get extensively tested and completely autonomus vehicles and drones - tech aids would not compensate for lack of training and attention.

Therefore I am realy scared of tap-fly pilots and drones...

so i was / am right :)
+1 on thhe one above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are rare industrial use cases where "collision avoidance" can be useful - but arial cinematography is not one of them. Matrice is experimental test-bed and industrial special-use platform, and even with all possible add-ons it still can not reliably autonomously fly itself. P4 collision avoidance is just marketing gimmick - way for lamers to tap-fly and for aircraft to selfguide itself without instantly hiting first obstacle...

For me, as a pro user, P4 sensors redundancy and sensors error correction is much higher on my wish list. Next to that P4 has some kind of dust-proof and weather-resistant motors, while weather-profing of Inspire is also high on my wish list... So, there are advantages of P4 which are much more obvious and simpler to implement in next Inspire, then any AI and self flying...
I agree with you and we'll said.
I think the key word in your comment is redundancy.
All uav manufacturers should have this as their main priority.
Get this done and get it right and the industry is much safer.
Collision avoidance is really only for the noobs out there.

Agree with all the comments above.
Collision avoidance can be another tool in the toolbox like GPS positioning. It's there but should not be relied upon and people should know how to fly without all the technology.
I am sure we have all had some near misses and with collision avoidance in place maybe a few aircraft would be saved but I fear it will become show off gimmick the same way auto take off is.
People will aim their aircraft at a brick wall/building/tree etc and say "Watch this" :rolleyes:

Agree with all the comments above.
Collision avoidance can be another tool in the toolbox like GPS positioning. It's there but should not be relied upon and people should know how to fly without all the technology.
I am sure we have all had some near misses and with collision avoidance in place maybe a few aircraft would be saved but I fear it will become show off gimmick the same way auto take off is.
People will aim their aircraft at a brick wall/building/tree etc and say "Watch this" :rolleyes:

"Yeah, watch me dispose of $4k in 2 seconds flat."

There's going to be a few of those videos on PooTube.

There already are!

One a month or so back from the UK of a group of stupid young men that just got an Inspire and didn't think it necessary to learn anything before taking off. Crashed within a minute. I got about 15 seconds into watching the video when I began to hope they crashed it!

There are way too many stupid people -- literally billions!

Brian

I've had a change of heart regarding collision avoidance. I'm hoping now they don't put it on the Inspire.
Flying one of these things is more than just taking off, landing, going forward, back, or sideways.
There's a lot of skill involved in flying with a camera and I'm afraid yahoos will jump into the fray calling themselves pro operators because they "feel" safe with collision avoidance. How wrong!
It will attract a bunch of newbies to our industry and could kill the video recording aspect of this field as clients won;t care about quality anymore because they've been duped by these nubies about the "safety" of collision avoidance" and how they can get a better shot with it.

Honestly, I think the combination of collision avoidance and follow functions may spell the end of recreational drone use in most places. In DJI's own Phantom 4 videos, they show these features being used in places that drone use is illegal already -- ie Canyonlands and Arches NP. The FAA already stipulates that users must have visual contact with the drones that they are flying...how is that even possible in "follow me" mode?* Isn't the whole point of that to have the drone behind you? Other manufacturers also show drones following skiers in resorts using this feature. That will never be allowed. No resort would put itself in the way of lawsuits. Won't happen.

This stuff all spells autonomous flight over public property at low altitude. Amazon is having trouble getting permission to do this between 400 and 500 feet where there are fewer obstacles. Will the FAA decide it's ok for untrained people to do it close to the ground where there are many potential hazards -- and front facing collision avoidance only?

Even if your drone doesn't have these features, I think the FAA will err on the side of caution and make most recreational drone use except over private property (with permission) illegal. It's already happening at the municipal level in many places without these new features. And the FAA will be in turf wars with local governments for years to come, but ultimately it won't matter who has jurisdiction if local law enforcement shuts you down every time you fly.

This doesn't affect me. I do commercial work over private property. But as a recreational industry, I think drone hobbyists days are numbered outside of hobby flying facilities.

*that guy on the slackline sure isn't watching his drone...

Last edited:
sorry but learn how to fly. that is the most safest way to be in the air. puting that mandatory is the dumbest idea. everything can fail - you know DJI - what do you do then if you CAN NOT fly manually which only half true since DJI hold gps and position and hight automatically. if you learn how to drive automatic in a tesla really knowing how to drive is FAR away from you. start with a LADA (russian car) stick shift, no power stiering and forget ABS acually ALL comfort things. when you know how to handle that- you can say you are probably good to go for a little drive on the country road. later you can then sit in a 86 bmw or 190e benz or similar and start going with that.
no offense meant but people have to LEARN how tod do things to KNOW what to do when these go wrong. i started off with an octo i built myself and had no assistance in anything. i had my close calls and my bad days. then i built my hex and had some fun and training and a crash or two. before i flied on the simulator 20+ hours before my first REAL life flight- that was my LADA time and the checked the benz and the bmw to know what comes at me.

mandatory should be ground school with mandatory simulator flyghts and lessons you have to achieve and pratice before actually going out and maybe hurt, damge something or kill someone because you did not know enough about the physics or craft specs or did not have a preflight check list that says: make a sight survey and check places to land for emergencies etc.
this post is not aimed against you - i am guessing you are activly flying or having 333 or something. if not then i am asuming you are a responsible thinking person. but saying that a feature that is one more part on a craft that can brake and is not even or real help or use besides "dogding" something that is in front of it should be mandatory is just plain useless. if it were around by 360degrees then it might worth thinking about but even then i would say ine has to LEARN how to fly and not rely on automatic **** that fails sooner or later. stand up for what you do and take the consequences or let it be and do not touch it.
my 2c
sorry for any offense. non meant just got carried away a bit by the first post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A little harsh Phatzo (interesting handle) but I do agree. With all due respect fitz, I believe that the more "idiot proof" manufacturers try to make things, the more it lulls people into a false sense of security. Sure, they want and expect it but why feed their laziness. I can say that when I'm flying, the adrenaline is flowing and it keeps me sharp. As a result, I have had no problems and I don't take silly chances because I know I'm, in control and I alone am responsible for what the aircraft does. That said, collision avoidance is coming to more and more copters whether we like it or not. So, Phatzo, you best suggestion is make quad (hexa) copter flight schools mandatory. Heck, this would even help our economy because independent (but FAA certified) drone flight schools would be created much like drivers license schools. More small businesses mean more jobs. Everyone wins.

Reactions: Phatzo
A little harsh Phatzo (interesting handle) but I do agree. With all due respect fitz, I believe that the more "idiot proof" manufacturers try to make things, the more it lulls people into a false sense of security. Sure, they want and expect it but why feed their laziness. I can say that when I'm flying, the adrenaline is flowing and it keeps me sharp. As a result, I have had no problems and I don't take silly chances because I know I'm, in control and I alone am responsible for what the aircraft does. That said, collision avoidance is coming to more and more copters whether we like it or not. So, Phatzo, you best suggestion is make quad (hexa) copter flight schools mandatory. Heck, this would even help our economy because independent (but FAA certified) drone flight schools would be created much like drivers license schools. More small businesses mean more jobs. Everyone wins.

Thanks for the credit Dave,
I just learned that the P4 is almost as fast (2m/s slower) than our state of the art craft... which kind of pisses me off really. I spent 3K+ and they put an AC to the market where you actually only have to make homemade retracts for the feet and hack the system for a second RC and there you go having a P4 dual operator mode... for have the money...
in my country there is no official certification possibility like in the UK or USA or in Down Under, I am planing to make a drone fly school or workshops to teach people how to go in the air with some brains and not just fly off and hope for the best or show off...
I do not consider myself a full super mega god- like pro that know everything but know enough to be able to teach how to fly safe and with responsibility in mind when taking off. I and I am sure all of us had our close calls or even some parking in the trees with now major wounds or injuries to the AC or person / property but we still went on with more caution every time.
In Hungary there is no official authority that could give me a paper telling me I am eligible and accredited for flying commercially and have the permit to teach and give accreditation to the ones taught and tested with theory and ground school in an operative test. what I find sad is that having that bullet self flying pcs of (bad word) sorry buzzing around by someone having no clue what he is doing is reckless by the manufacturer DJI in my opinion. in first place they should have put the stronger motors on the first gen or give the option now to us - the ones testing and giving feedback to DJI about problems and improvements of the first generation - I would happily buy four V2 motors.
or they could develop another "brain" - aka FC that fits in the front together with a refurbished VP system allowing to fly above 10 stable so I can have more reliable flights indoors.
I can say I know how to fly having done so in an adventure park with cable sleds flying above and under them while keeping a little train in focus flying up and away. I raced after rallye cars, also did country recording filming lakes and fish producers areal, I have been on events recording what was happening below and getting an image from the whole scenery. - all in a safe distance.
again sorry for any offense, none meant to anyone. my 2c and got carried away again.

I wonder if the Inspire 1 will receive a firmware update which will allow the object follow & focus selection on screen within the Go app. Surely this is just a software feature, and with the 360 camera on Inspire this would make a fantastic addition.
Possibly but the Inspire can already do this with the app from Vertical if you want it now. :)

Reactions: russkn87
Yes while I was intrigued as to the new avoidance system on the P4, I wouldn't even trust it anyways, or trust it enough to fly it at a wall to see what happens. 'Collision avoidance' is last on my list of desired features for a drone, as even if it worked perfectly (which it won't), I wouldn't fly any differently or recklessly. I think it's just encouraging people to become more reckless and rely on the failsafes, when in reality it only senses obstacles right in front of the drone and not to the side or behind... Meaning really it doesn't offer a whole lot more 'safety' than an Inspire or P3 operated by someone with common sense. Yes I realize common sense is uncommon these days.
Dead nuts. I want to fly this baby all by myself, without considering any avoidance system. Your right avoidance or not doesn't change my flying the Inspire with the utmost care.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jammartin