Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Compass Calibration

Reaction score
Quote-Editor:
'Compass Calibration does not need to be done each flight either.'

So I can be perfectly/confident & my thinking is correct on this matter.
As I have been going to the one location often does that mean I don't need to Compass Calibrate my I1 on each occasion at that spot please.

Thank you in anticipation.

Quote-Editor:

As I have been going to the one location often does that mean I don't need to Compass Calibrate my I1 on each occasion at that spot please.

You don't have to compass calibrate even if you go to a different spot!
Just make sure your mod values are between 1400-1600 before take off and you're good to go.
I have gone months and travelled hundreds of miles and never needed to calibrate.
So long as you have a good calibration then there is no need to keep dancing!
DJI have got it very wrong with their 'compass calibrate everytime you move 3 inches' instructions.

Quote-Editor:

A controversial subject.
DJI still says to calibrate at every new location.
I follow the advice offered in this forum: " If the compass numbers
are between 1400 - 1600 your good. "
I've flown at locations 800 miles (1300 kilometers) apart w/o a compass recalibration, the Inspire flew perfectly. I've also found that doing a compass calibration inside the house and moving outside gave bad numbers and a recalibration was required. Probably the wood stove messed up the indoor calibration.

Reactions: The Editor
Just picked up my Inspire 1 v2, looks like the manual now says to "Only calibrate the compass when the DJI GO app or the status indicator prompt (sic) you to do so". (Quick Start Guide V2.2) Weird they say "only" which indicates to me to not even do it as a "safety" precaution for my new bird...

Just picked up my Inspire 1 v2, looks like the manual now says to "Only calibrate the compass when the DJI GO app or the status indicator prompt (sic) you to do so". (Quick Start Guide V2.2) Weird they say "only" which indicates to me to not even do it as a "safety" precaution for my new bird...
Problem is that GO tells me, every time I start it up, to calibrate. I just ignore that and decide for myself, if and when I choose to calibrate. Never had a problem.

While reading the actual Inspire 1 User Manual v2.0_20160719 and it says under "Calibrating the Compass"; "IMPORTANT: Make sure to calibrate the compass in every new flight location".

Looks like the manual is dated July 07, 2016

Reckon' I'll do what I do with my other birds. Calibrate when new, calibrate periodically if I don't go too far, and calibrate when I go distances greater than 200 miles...

Seems DJI cannot make up their mind, mine also states to only do it when prompted, and to not carry ferromagnetic materials during cal such as cellphones, so how are we supposed to calibrate without the smart devise?

While we are on the subject, there seems to be 2 ways to do the compass cal, in one you turn the craft 360 degrees on it's axis, the other one turns on one's axis while holding the craft, also some say counter clockwise, some say clockwise, which is correct?

While we are on the subject, there seems to be 2 ways to do the compass cal, in one you turn the craft 360 degrees on it's axis, the other one turns on one's axis while holding the craft, also some say counter clockwise, some say clockwise, which is correct?
It doesn't matter.
All that is important is the aircraft makes a complete rotation (or you do holding it) in both axis.

The important thing is checking mod values (covered many times on the forum). :)

Quote-Editor:

I have an Inspire 1 on the old 1.2 firmware (as per July 2015). I have done the compass calib once in 2015 and never again since. Note that I ship the bird to Sicily every summer and back to Ireland for the winter. Never had an issue so I firmily believe that compass calib is NOT needed.

Vincenzo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips