Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Disabling the No Fly Zone protection

So you think the NFZ's were introduced to protect drunk government employees from landing on the White House lawn? ;)

also it would be nice that DJI included an additional knob to stop motors immediately and open a parachute in case of an MC failure.
Both sticks brought to the center and down the same way you start them is already there to stop the motors and parachutes are available from another company if that's something you want.

I know that Iblyen but that would not work if the MC goes crazy anyways so my idea is a separate tx rx system with only 1 channel just to activate that in case of emergency

It's nothing any enthousiast/amateur/hobby pilot would even have to care to think about. For them it is legally impossible to get an exemption, in any no fly zone, (Not just the ones DJI impose) anyhow.

This discussion is on the wrong forum.
I'm curious why you think us mere hobbyists don't need to care about it?
Our RC club is invited almost every year to multiple airports during their airshows to put on a show of our own which I have attended every year since the mid 1970's
I now have the i1, the most technologically advanced multi rotor DJI makes and I was unable to even spin the props! Sure would have been nice to show everyone on a big screen what we are seeing while flying and give them an idea what it's all about but instead it sat on a table like a useless ornament even after being cleared to fly there by all authorities involved!
Very dissappointing!! :mad:
But hey, I'm just a hobbyist so I shouldn't care I guess! ;)

Our RC club is invited almost every year to multiple airports during their airshows to put on a show of our own which I have attended every year since the mid 1970's
I now have the i1, the most technologically advanced multi rotor DJI makes and I was unable to even spin the props! Sure would have been nice to show everyone on a big screen what we are seeing while flying and give them an idea what it's all about but instead it sat on a table like a useless ornament even after being cleared to fly there by all authorities involved!
You have a point. I didn't think about airshows.
Anyway, as I already stated in earlier discussions, I'm not a supporter of the nannying by DJI at all.

You're obviously an experienced RC flyer. Like I am, since the first Cox line models in the 60's.
I would consider anyone with that much RC club experience a professional level pilot. So my concern was not aimed at you at all.

And clubs can get exemption for airshows, that's very true.
Excuse me for not taking that into consideration. Wasn't even thinking about clubs. I have been at a club for many years but got into wild flying because I got so much space where I live now..
I respect experienced club pilots highly. They thought me a thing or two over the years.

I was talking about the individual just recently taking up drone flying, which is probably 90% of the drone user population. The remaining 10% is active on forums and has (at least) some sort of experience, or is serious to get experienced.

Face it, the drone business is attracting a lot of first timers who really don't have a clue and will probably not inform themselves all too much about the rules. Except the 'few' good new comers willing and eager to learn. And those are the ones asking questions on InspirePilots, informing themselves. The rest is beyond anyones direct influence. They just get up there and fly. As high, far and fast as they can. They think that rules are for pussies, not for these guys. The thing flies itself so what can happen? And then they complain about fly aways and come up with monster stories about, it having a mind of its own and that stuff (except for the few genuine fly aways of course).

Last edited:

Do you showed off a feature, soon coming to every UAV sold in the western world, by decree of governments everywhere :)

Admittedly, it needs significant work and RC fields shouldn't be NFZ's :)

Think of it as a Beta.

I like everyone's mentality DJI are the only people making quad copters and the only ones flying close to airports are I1's. DJI is the only company with such a thing as NFZ and the phantoms don't have it. since everyone is screaming for regulation. just how do you plan to enforce it and implement it on every r/c aircraft flying already?

Reactions: SultanGris
Can I check if being unable to power up while having the I1 inside a no fly zone still valid?

Because I just did a flight as per normal within a no fly zone. The app does register it and indicated that I am in a no fly zone. But when I tried to fire it up, it just went as normal.

Any take? I am on DJI Go app but older I1 firmware since Jun.

I like everyone's mentality DJI are the only people making quad copters and the only ones flying close to airports are I1's. DJI is the only company with such a thing as NFZ and the phantoms don't have it. since everyone is screaming for regulation. just how do you plan to enforce it and implement it on every r/c aircraft flying already?
Exactly, they are clueless, lol!

Can I check if being unable to power up while having the I1 inside a no fly zone still valid?

Because I just did a flight as per normal within a no fly zone. The app does register it and indicated that I am in a no fly zone. But when I tried to fire it up, it just went as normal.

Any take? I am on DJI Go app but older I1 firmware since Jun.
Their firmware isn't the most reliable, I'm in older firmware and pretty sure I can fly within nfz as well, I have no intention of upgrading, or downgrading as I see it, ha

Most Phantom types have NFZ's just like the I1. Except the Phantom 1 and FC40.
One can safely assume that most drones flying at those places are not at all from DJI.

Most Phantom types have NFZ's just like the I1. Except the Phantom 1 and FC40.
One can safely assume that most drones flying at those places are not at all from DJI.

Now I think you are getting the correct picture. If a modern drone ends up someplace it's not supposed to be, DJI doesn't want it's name to have anything to with it.

Now I think you are getting the correct picture. If a modern drone ends up someplace it's not supposed to be, DJI doesn't want it's name to have anything to with it.

ahh but we are way past that point. dji is the biggest quad copter manufacturer. mainstream media has any story about a r/c anything it's automatically called a drone and a pictures and videos of dji phantoms are played.

DRONE=DJI no matter what now my friend and good luck undoing it lol. DJI is the biggest so they get the attention whether they want it or not. that's why they have the no fly zones, if it was anything other then a phantom on the white house lawn we wouldn't have no fly zones would we?

Last edited:
ahh but we are way past that point. dji is the biggest quad copter manufacturer. mainstream media has any story about a r/c anything it's automatically called a drone and a pictures and videos of dji phantoms are played.

DONE=DJI no matter what now my friend and good luck undoing it lol. DJI is the biggest so they get the attention whether they want it or not. that's why they have the no fly zones, if it was anything other then a phantom on the white house lawn we wouldn't have no fly zones would we?

And their Corporate Responsibility VP and Branden Schuleman will then get on every news show in the hemisphere and review DJI's track record of No Fly Zones and efforts to protect the public from irresponsible users, bringing in a mountain of positive public PR you just can't pay for.

Get it now?

And their Corporate Responsibility VP and Branden Schuleman will then get on every news show in the hemisphere and review DJI's track record of No Fly Zones and efforts to protect the public from irresponsible users, bringing in a mountain of positive public PR you just can't pay for.

Get it now?
No, you dont get it. A 100 dollar quad copter made by company ching chong wiggle woggle bought at bestbuy flys over LAX and stops flights for an hour.

is the FAA going to go after ching chong wiggle woggle out of china with a net worth of 20,000 yen or DJI with a net worth of a billion dollars. It doesn't matter who fucks up with what brand. The FAA sees DJI as the leader and a bank account that they can go after with fines, regulations and laws they can justify their own existence with. DJI product owners will pay the price every time till a new company shows up that's not regulated to death.

No, you dont get it. A 100 dollar quad copter made by company ching chong wiggle woggle bought at bestbuy flys over LAX and stops flights for an hour.

is the FAA going to go after ching chong wiggle woggle out of china with a net worth of 20,000 yen or DJI with a net worth of a billion dollars. I doesn't matter who fucks up with what brand. the FAA sees DJI as the leader and a bank account that they can go after with fines, regulations and laws. DJI product owners will pay the price every time till a new company shows up that's not regulated to death.

Nobody gives a **** about company ching chong, and DJI will roll out the positive PR folks talking about how THEIR drones wouldn't be able to fly over the White House lawn, LAX etc.

The point is: you can bash DJI by association but in reality their modern consumer drones have NFZ's and with the next FW update being mandatory and fixing the ability to disconnect the GPS and fly in one, they'll close any known loophole.

It's cover their behind. They are doing a good job in that regard.

Reactions: PB30X
Nobody gives a **** about company ching chong, and DJI will roll out the positive PR folks talking about how THEIR drones wouldn't be able to fly over the White House lawn, LAX etc.

The point is: you can bash DJI by association but in reality their modern consumer drones have NFZ's and with the next FW update being mandatory and fixing the ability to disconnect the GPS and fly in one, they'll close any known loophole.

It's cover their behind. They are doing a good job in that regard.

Couple flaws in your argument. The harder DJI makes it for it's customers to use their product 2 things will happen. The lazy ones will look for an alternative product and the the more hacks that will start to come out to by pass stupid features like no fly zones. For i1 owners like us it's win win. Cheaper quad copters and more freedom with what we already have. The no fly zone feature has already ben hacked, just hasn't gone viral with i1 owners, YET...

Couple flaws in your argument. The harder DJI makes it for it's customers to use their product 2 things will happen. The lazy ones will look for an alternative product and the the more hacks that will start to come out to by pass stupid features like no fly zones. For i1 owners like us it's win win. Cheaper quad copters and more freedom with what we already have. The no fly zone feature has already ben hacked, just hasn't gone viral with i1 owners, YET...

You still aren't understanding why DJI has NFZ's, and that's ok. It's irrelevant if it's been hacked. Nobody gives a **** frankly. It's about the fact that they HAVE No Fly Zones. It's not about whether the cat and mouse game of hack-patch-hack-patch-hack-patch-hack-patch is in the hackers court or DJI's court.

It's irrelevant.

It's about the fact that they are trying to be responsible. That's their narrative when Johnny Drunk Government Employee or Ahmed The Sixteen Year Old Virgin Seeker tries to fly a DJI drone into LAX. It won't work or at least, it was designed NOT to work. That is what they care about. It's PR. It's not a teenage script kiddie game of hack the drone. If they hack it, they hack it but DJI can say at least they did SOMETHING.

Company Ching Chong won't be able to sell drones in the western world after NFZ mandatory laws are passed. DJI will be fine though.

Good luck with your hack. Why not go build your own crashcopter if that's your thing? Knock yourself out bud.

This thread is moot in any case since the NFZ's can already be unlocked by request temporarily by DJI for certified UAV pilots.
A more permanent solution will be released in September.

This thread is moot in any case since the NFZ's can already be unlocked by request temporarily by DJI for certified UAV pilots.
A more permanent solution will be released in September.
So does a certifiied UAV pilot also get the altitude restriction and I'm sure to come, distance restriction unlocked for that price? I'm sure there will be clients somewhere wanting you to fly higher and farther than the restrictions placed on hobbyist will allow. :)
It's always amazed me what money can buy!
I'm curious.....in the U.S....what's the going rate for our freedom going to be on the i1?

Last edited:
In some special cases we can get an exemption to go higher and further. And we will get a possibility to certify for IFR in the near future, which will allow us to fly as far as the control link will provide safely. Don't forget, the current limits are based on VFR VLOS. Also autonomous flight controls will be soon possible be certified, so we can fly waypoints for professional and commercial operations. The professional possibilities will become endless. We're only at the very beginning, learning how to deal with it in the aerospace world.

My view on the future?
IFR will not become legal for hobbyists I'm afraid. So you will be stuck with your VLOS limits, if you want to keep it legal.

I think the market for +1000gram multirotors for recreational use will go down rapidly once the rules are finally clear in the world. There will be a huge soar in development and sales of nano drones with follow me possibility, with a control range of max 30m and autoland on the smartphone.

Thanks to all the "I'm free, so I don't give a f@!# and I want to go as high and far as I want" kind of guys, the true hobbyists will suffer in the end. The consumer however, gains a new gadget to take dronies with.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool