Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Extra Weight (for placement of Sony RX100 ii)

Reaction score
Website
www.benhecht.com
Howdy,

I am wondering if anyone has tried any mods to their Inspire or tested additional payload.
Ideally I would fly my Inspire with the Inspire cam and gimbal AND add my Sony RX100 ii (which weighs 7.8 oz)

I am certainly not going to do it anytime soon but I'd be happy to hear if others have added cameras or other objects weight that much. I know the Phantom can't take that (even with the camera detached.)

Attached is an internet image of the Sony attached to a Phantom and the camera removed.
Not sure if I do it how I would attach to the Inspire. Most likely I wont be doing this mod as its too sketchy.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2205kl.jpg
    IMG_2205kl.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 93
Hey Allan, do you think you will do that with the inspire camera and gimbal off? I'm worried about the added weight but the benefit of having the FPV view from the Inspire camera is pretty great. Also, what do you plan to use to control the Sony?

Howdy flydogs. .
I have a bicycle head light ,a tk102 tracker ,and a locator 8 on board. .the headlight uses a good size battery. .
I'm not sure what It weighs but I flew for a considerable distance without much loss in flight time ..
I could weigh it if you're interested. ..
Btw with the bicycle light an hour before sunset I could see my inspire from nearly a mile away...ya boy....
turbo

Reactions: flydogs
Hey Turbo, great idea on the bike light. I used to fly and ultralight and now I fly paramotors. They sell really small lightweight high-power strobe lights that would probably work great for that purpose, maybe even better than a bike light.

Anyway, yes I would love to hear the overall weight of your set up. I definitely will be flying with the Tagg GPS unit which is 1.1 ounces, but I'm eager to figure out if I can do some other payloads as well.

Great video link Allan, thank you. That definitely encourages me that it will be possible to put the Sony camera on the inspire without it being a problem.

My goal is to create a simple bracket that will shoot directly straight down. I will just set the Sony to take pictures every two seconds instead of using any kind of remote. Main thing is it doesn't look like the wait will be a problem. Still images at 22 megapixels will be a lot better, especially since I already have all that equipment.

This is part of what I do with the still drown imagery:

Great video link Allan, thank you. That definitely encourages me that it will be possible to put the Sony camera on the inspire without it being a problem.

My goal is to create a simple bracket that will shoot directly straight down. I will just set the Sony to take pictures every two seconds instead of using any kind of remote. Main thing is it doesn't look like the wait will be a problem. Still images at 22 megapixels will be a lot better, especially since I already have all that equipment.

This is part of what I do with the still drown imagery:
Hey flydogs. .
I weighed my bicycle light and it weighs 334 grams..
the inspire had no problem hauling it around for a long distance flight with plenty of battery in reserve. .
turbo. .

Why would anyone want to do this? First of all, it voids the warranty, secondly, the DJI 4K camera is an excellent camera, especially in 4K with little distortion. How would you control the Sony? Why change a good thing?
Another factor is that the motors weren't designed for the extra weight and will burn out a lot sooner, probably in mid flight sometime down the road.
Not worth it as the DJI camera is a huge step up from the awful GoPro 4K camera, which only shoots in the ridiculously distorted "wide" mode of 127 degrees whereas the DJI cam is 94 degrees, equivalent to the GoPro's "narrow" setting. I don't know why GoPro didn't make the 4K models with "narrow" mode as this is the only way to shoot from a UAV. The wide mode is really for surfing and skateboarding. Not appropriate for flying shots.

Good points White Airwolf. Mostly I will use the DJI camera. The RX100 ii is 22 megapixel. My newest commission painting is five panels and measures 26 feet long by 6 feet tall. So yeah, I need the extra megapixels to do the best work I can. I often will zoom into just a specific area of an aerial image too.
In general the Sony sensor is far superior for still photography than the DJI 12 megapixel cam.

Having both cams on there allows me to see where I am at at what I am shooting. I wont need a shutter release for the Sony as I would just set it to continuous shooting (stills) at intervals of 2-10 seconds or so. Does that make more sense now? The attachment will not require me to change more than just the $8 back ID plate tag with a hole. I already have a replacement one on order to modify it.

This is what I do: www.benhecht.com

The 3510 KV350 motors running on 6s packs and swinging 13/4.5 props can deliver around 1.8kg-2kg of thrust per corner so the Inspire actually has plenty of power in reserve within it's engineering parameters. By adding an additional 300grams or so certainly wont burn anything out. In fact there is circa 85g difference between the TB47 and TB48 packs so you could 'lose' nearly 100g of that additional payload weight simply by running the lighter packs!
Running an AUW of 3.3k would still put the Inspire within it's overhead - A rule by which all multirotors are designed under, so nothing to worry about.

Your flight times would be reduced - but not much else.

This flasher bike light is visible up to a mile away. Is this kinda like what you use Turbo?

http://www.amazon.com/Road-ID-Super..._sim_sg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SHQW42RS4Q4YFDYCGW5View attachment 918
Hey flydogs. .
it's similar. .I have a picture of it under (flash light mounted on my inspire ) in this picture the light is on the upper arm but after I got it out of travel mode I realized it wouldn't work mounted on the upper arm ,so I mounted it on the lower arm..
actually works pretty well..
it has 4 settings. .one of which is a strobe..
like I said it makes the inspire visable up to a mile away depending on how bright it is outside. ..

turbo..

The 3510 KV350 motors running on 6s packs and swinging 13/4.5 props can deliver around 1.8kg-2kg of thrust per corner so the Inspire actually has plenty of power in reserve within it's engineering parameters. By adding an additional 300grams or so certainly wont burn anything out. In fact there is circa 85g difference between the TB47 and TB48 packs so you could 'lose' nearly 100g of that additional payload weight simply by running the lighter packs!
Running an AUW of 3.3k would still put the Inspire within it's overhead - A rule by which all multirotors are designed under, so nothing to worry about.

Your flight times would be reduced - but not much else.

Actually the E800 motors used on the Inspire are rated for 800g thrust total per motor by DJI.

With TB48 battery, quad and camera there is about 300g extra thrust capacity before reaching the 3200g rated thrust total.

Use it wisely :)

Last edited:
Actually the E800 motors used on the Inspire are rated for 800g thrust total per motor by DJI.

With TB48 battery, quad and camera there is about 300g extra thrust capacity before reaching the 3200g rated thrust total.

Use it wisely :)
Hi Damon,
I hope not!!!!!!!! We would all crash if the motors could only produce 800g each! As soon as the batteries dropped a little voltage we couldn't even lift off! You are talking about recommended TOW which is different to max availalable thrust per rotor.
The reason they give a TOW of 3.2kg is to allow for
a. Hover capability around mid stick or 50% thrust
b. To allow an overhead for difference in production weight (although negligible with a machine like the Inspire.

Have a look on the page again.....top of the page, first item. Each motor produces 2,100g of thrust at 25v (ASL)
Take off the working AUW of the Inspire gives you a payload capacity of circa 5kg. Now it would fly like a pig and barely lift off with 5kg strapped to its belly but it could do it.
That's why 300g won't cause it to break sweat!

Don't try and out rocket science multi rotor ME Mr Cooper :p:p

Last edited:
Reactions: turbodronepilot
Hi Damon,
I hope not!!!!!!!! We would all crash if the motors could only produce 800g each! As soon as the batteries dropped a little voltage we couldn't even lift off!

Have a look on the page again.....top of the page, first item. Each motor produces 2,100g of thrust at 25v (ASL)
Take off the working AUW of the Inspire gives you a payload capacity of circa 5kg. Now it would fly like a pig and barely lift off with 5kg strapped to its belly but it could do it.

Don't try and out rocket science multi rotor me Mr Cooper :p:p

Generated and rated aren't the same thing. DJI's rated thrust from E800's is 800g/motor. You can burden the Inspire down till it doesn't lift off if you like but you are exceeding the manufacture's rated payload for the motors.

Generated and rated aren't the same thing. DJI's rated thrust from E800's is 800g/motor. You can burden the Inspire down till it doesn't lift off if you like but you are exceeding the manufacture's rated payload for the motors.
Nooooo....read my edited post again.
Multi rotor design will always try and achieve hover at mid stick. That's how we are able to zip around all over the place.
If it generated as you say 800g the Inspire would be pathetic in the air. You have to have circa 50% of your rated power in reserve to be able to maneuver effectively.

Simples.....

Hi Damon,
I hope not!!!!!!!! We would all crash if the motors could only produce 800g each! As soon as the batteries dropped a little voltage we couldn't even lift off! You are talking about recommended TOW which is different to max availalable thrust per rotor.
The reason they give a TOW of 3.2kg is to allow for
a. Hover capability around mid stick or 50% thrust
b. To allow an overhead for difference in production weight (although negligible with a machine like the Inspire.

Don't try and out rocket science multi rotor ME Mr Cooper :p:p
Hey brother. .
don't make me like your anymore of your posts...
I'll never catch up to you and become a well known memember. .
Also I was worried there for a second about the 334 grams I'm hauling around. .went 2 miles and back with 45 % battery left..
I'd post a screen shot, but the photo attachment thing isnt working ..
turbo. .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters