Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Firmware update stuck

Reaction score
Hi, I made a misstake when updating the firmware. As I took the USB from the RC and put it to the I2 for updating. Then I shut down the controller. Then after a while I saw that it should not be turned off. I then turned it on while updating. Then the blinking light in the RC started to blink rapidly in every color, the aircraft update had already stopped at 86 % and Total 17.% Now it just blinks green lightes in fron and beeps 4 times but the update does not go on.

Then after about 30 minutes, the AC seemed to stabilize in its updating process, no more beeping, no more blinking. But the iPad showd the same 86 and 17 % and it did not changed, also the all colors blinking continued.

After a while I shut down both the AC and RC, took the cable off and started again. It still says that updating is in 17 % and does not let me go to Start Flight mode and it is suggesting to wait until update is complete.

I replaced the cable but the update does not go on, nothing happens.

How to cancel the updating process and start it again from the beginning?

Assuming you have not connected the aircraft to your computer yet, it now appears it is time to do so. Download the DJI Assistant 2 from Dji's website and install it on your computer, choose your flavor Mac or PC. After you open the program, connect your computer to the USB port on the I2 using the supplied A to A USB cord. There is a little button next to the USB port, that should be in the down position. You should see an Inspire 2 image on the computer screen when connected, click on it. Then click on the Firmware Update Tab, complete a Restore Factory Defaults and when that is complete click on the Upgrade tab to install the new firmware.

Last edited:
Reactions: SanCap
THanks Florida for your quick and accurate reply, I did manage to update the firmware with your instructions through my PC.

However, the original problem remain... I mean I tried to fix a problem which occcurred just yesterday. The image transmission was lost. The new firmware was supposed to give a fix for this kind of issue, but it did not.

Yesterday, before the update, I managed to take photos (even the main screen was black) and I could even see them when open them through the app. Yesterday also the FPV camera view was OK while the main camera was not. The camera settings did not opened at all yesterday. When I hit the button, it moved slightly but did not opened the settings.

But today, after the update, I could open the settings and still take photos but not open them any more. Also the FPV camera view was not any more complete, large stripes of black in the view - and the main camera was flashing a couple of times stripes of image, but remain mainly completely black.

The RC still blinks all colors, the app also says no image transmission and Aircraft Disconnected, even it can flash green for a few sec (Ready to Go). It also makes home point OK and can show it in the map. But otherwise it is crazy!

I checked the image channel, they seem to be OK, tried to change the frequency from 2.4 to 5.8, it did not make any difference.

WIth this I2 I have been flying only about two hours, so it is almos brand new. With my I1 I flied about 40 hours without any issues.

So what do you recon, is there still something one can do...?

Problem solved! Finally it did asked to update the RC firmware and so i did. And now it connected normally and everything seem to be OK!

I was wondering that already before but it did not asked to update the RC. So i did not know how to update it when it was not giving an option for it until now.

Now I first unistalled the app (as it was stuck yesterday) and then installed it again. Then it wanted get the update.

Thanks again Florida DS and others for your help!

Problem solved! Finally it did asked to update the RC firmware and so i did. And now it connected normally and everything seem to be OK!

I was wondering that already before but it did not asked to update the RC. So i did not know how to update it when it was not giving an option for it until now.

Now I first unistalled the app (as it was stuck yesterday) and then installed it again. Then it wanted get the update.

Thanks again Florida DS and others for your help!

Glad we could help.

Reactions: Ilmakuvausorg
Well well, I was perhaps too optimistic...

I got the main camera image back and it does connect well with the RC. I flow it and it work OK in the air. But there still are some weird issues:

I cannot change the camera settings at all in the app. It opens the setting table with Photo, Image size, Format etc, but you cannot open or change them. When you tap the bar, it flashes a little blackish in the background but do not open it, so you cannot change them. In the right hand side it is possible to make changes like put Over exposure warning on and off, same with Histogram, same on the left hand side, you can change the Aperture and other settings there. But in the middle, nothing can be done! Same issue with both camera and video.

What seem to be very weird is, that when I shut the AC, then right away above the Histogram On / Off button appears a new button, the Video / Photo settings. You can open and and see the settings there. But as soon as the AC has turned on, this Video / Photo settings button disappears! So when the AC is on, no changes can be made from there either!.

Also you cannot change the image transition channel. It is and stays in Auto mode and it does not react to the button.

ANother (minor) thing, the Obstacle avoidance button in the upper bar is always red and I cannot get it green no matter what I do after tapping it. THis one is not so important to me, but the others, of course, must work to make quality photos and video.

Any ideas or suggestions about this above? Thanks again for your help, guys!!

It sounds like the app and the settings are screwed up on your tablet.

Try uninstalling the app again, then completely power down and restart the iPad. Once you've done that, Then redownload the app directly from the App Store on your iPad (not via iTunes). Finally, start the app and log back in with your DJI account details.

If you can, also try a different USB cable, and close any other app you have running in the background.

After that, the Only other thing I can think is to try and rebind the rc with the aircraft.

Reactions: Ilmakuvausorg
Thanks a lot NickU!!

That did the trick to the main issue! I can now change the settings for the camera, and that is the most important thing when I am going to make some jobs tomorrow.

But what about the transmission channel setting, if I wish to change it manually, how to do that? I still cannot cancel the Auto there and do it manually. Is there some special procedure to do that, I could not find it in the Manual? And the other minor thing, why the icon of the obstacle avoidance in the status bar is red while all others icons are green? Should it be like that?

Thanks again!

Glad it's got a bit more of your problem sorted :cool:

Obstacle avoidance is always turned off when the aircraft's landing gear is lowered. So if you look at that icon when on the ground, it will be red.

As far as I know, the custom channel settings are region aware - certain regions and you can't manually set them. I've never been able to set them on my Phantom, but could set it for a very short while after I got the I2. But i lost that ability at some point, don't know if it was a firmware of DJI Go update or something else...The only thing I can do is change between 2.4 and 5.8GHz. What country are you flying in? If it's the US, then I think you can choose manually. European countries may be force set to Auto only so it channel hops to find the best frequencies.

Hi there! after reading this I have the same problems and all started when I update the drone .. But it looks like I need to update the RC too ! I like your video of your app mine is doing the same . All kinds of mess, and no video feed and black bars on front camera . Will try the update to Rc , and let your if I worked

Hi there! after reading this I have the same problems and all started when I update the drone .. But it looks like I need to update the RC too ! I like your video of your app mine is doing the same . All kinds of mess, and no video feed and black bars on front camera . Will try the update to Rc , and let your if I worked

Please let us know the outcome.

I'll keep my thumbs up Julie-Dog! After uninstalling the DJI go app and reinstalling it I was able to reinstall also the RC. And after that all problems was gone! Now it works perfect, I am sure it will happen in your case as well.

I must say, this site is great when I got good advice from Florida and the UK while I am here in Finland.

OK!!!!! after a lot of work I have my drone back to normal again . I will not update firmware again unless the craft will not fly . had to update the RC and the app and do the vision senor calibrations . Thanks! this is a good site . I live in northern BC Canada in a remote area . in the mountains few people around me, so flying the drone is no problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baie Car