Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Firmware Update v1.2.0.17 Available

Seemingly not, but a one that was purported to automatically fix the IMU destabilisation problem. Likely to have other minor big fixes too.

I just fired up mine and it says I've got the latest firmware. I viewed this via my note 4 whilst connected to the internet. As I've stated before, I'm not gonna bother with this update. Why fix something that's not broke.

Last edited:
Reactions: damoncooper
The key appears to be starting totally from scratch.

1. Take a new mini-SD card or take one you have and reformat it--wipe it clean of ALL files.
2. To that clean card, copy the new *.bin file from the firmware update folder and THAT FILE ONLY.
3. Put the card in the camera (already attached to the bird) turn it on and let it do it's thing. DO NOT turn on the controller. If after ten (10) minutes nothing happens, then you can be fairly confident that the bird has already been updated on previous attempts. Otherwise the camera will beep and begin a fresh install. Once the tail light goes from flashing yellow to flashing green, you know it's done.
4. Once that's done, turn off the aircraft.
5. Get a new thumb drive or reformat one you have, again, to wipe it clean. Copy ONLY the *.bin file onto the thumb drive just as you did above.
6. Insert the thumb into the controller and turn it on. DO NOT turn on the aircraft. After a minute or more it will start the install. Once it's done, the blue light will turn green.
7. Turn off the controller and remove the thumb drive.
8. Turn the controller on again.
9. Turn the aircraft on again.
10. They should now communicate with each other.

I hope this works for everyone having the same issue I had. Went flying this morning without a single problem. Best of luck!
I followed this to the letter and had no surprises. Had 4 beeps from the camera and 3 after it had updated. Left it for 10min while I sorted something else. Checked the txt file on the sd and said success. I then loaded the same bin file onto a usb stick and updated the controller. It took about 30-60 seconds for the light to go blue then beeping. Left it for about 3-5 min then it stopped beeping but no green light, BUT WAIT! It then started beeping with the blue light and after about another 3-5 wait it stopped beeping and the light was green:). Turned it off, removed the usb stick and turned it back on. Connected to the inspire perfect, painless update.

Can I just ask you guys whether you are getting an 'update required ' message in the app or whether you are updating because a later version of the firmware has appeared on the DJI site.
I've had mine just over a week and have no update required message in the app. However I do get an IMU message occasionally when I try and start the props and nothing happens. If I move the bird a few feet to somewhere a little more level , I can usually get the props to fire up and no IMU message.
This update seems as though it might fix the IMU bug ,but I don't see why I'm not getting an update required message in the app.

I believe all those who updated did so because they saw the FW was on the site or read about it on forums.

This FW does not address anything with the IMU.

Can I just ask you guys whether you are getting an 'update required ' message in the app or whether you are updating because a later version of the firmware has appeared on the DJI site.
I've had mine just over a week and have no update required message in the app. However I do get an IMU message occasionally when I try and start the props and nothing happens. If I move the bird a few feet to somewhere a little more level , I can usually get the props to fire up and no IMU message.
This update seems as though it might fix the IMU bug ,but I don't see why I'm not getting an update required message in the app.

Like Kilrah said, this is not a required update.

It doesn't hurt to check on your IMU before leaving the house before each flight or when you first arrive on site.

The key appears to be starting totally from scratch.

1. Take a new mini-SD card or take one you have and reformat it--wipe it clean of ALL files.
2. To that clean card, copy the new *.bin file from the firmware update folder and THAT FILE ONLY.
3. Put the card in the camera (already attached to the bird) turn it on and let it do it's thing. DO NOT turn on the controller. If after ten (10) minutes nothing happens, then you can be fairly confident that the bird has already been updated on previous attempts. Otherwise the camera will beep and begin a fresh install. Once the tail light goes from flashing yellow to flashing green, you know it's done.
4. Once that's done, turn off the aircraft.
5. Get a new thumb drive or reformat one you have, again, to wipe it clean. Copy ONLY the *.bin file onto the thumb drive just as you did above.
6. Insert the thumb into the controller and turn it on. DO NOT turn on the aircraft. After a minute or more it will start the install. Once it's done, the blue light will turn green.
7. Turn off the controller and remove the thumb drive.
8. Turn the controller on again.
9. Turn the aircraft on again.
10. They should now communicate with each other.

I hope this works for everyone having the same issue I had. Went flying this morning without a single problem. Best of luck!

Followed these instructions and it update went fine for me. One slight difference:

* While updating the drone, it started with the BB-BB sound and the rapid flashing yellow tail light. After approximately 10 mins, the sound switched to a B-BB sound but the tail light was still flashing a rapid yellow. I waited about 40 minutes and it never turned green, nor did the sound change from B-BB. Turned off the drone, pulled the SD card to check the .txt file for status, and the update was successful.

Everything else was the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: sirnikolas
I didn't even use the app/tablet when I updated. According to the instructions, just download the file, put the SD card in, watch the tail light and listen to the beeps.

i'd be eager to know what exactly this update is updating and which issues it is adressing... no promt for yet so i'll sit and wait. bird is doing good so no need to repair anything at the moment.
when i have the version list of what it's addressing i'll give it a thought... don't want to sound arrogant but reading through the forum i'd rather keep my hand off this update for the instant moment and wait for more feedback to come our / my way.

The release notes are on the DJI website.

Only affects video link performance and HDMI OSD.

This is a user update, not a critical one. It's best practice to stay up to date with the latest firmware. It's very easy to do and I had no surprises. When the next one is out it will be easy for me to do, already sorted a micro sd and usb drive which work and I will use them just for updating only. Each to their own:)

I had some issues but after trying again, (and then again) it worked on my third try. I did it exactly as explained in the directions if that helps anyone. Also, to give some of you peace of mind, if your quad quad bricks during an update, all is not lost. The issue can either be corrected with a few extra steps or worst case scenario, DJI can re-flash for you.

Whatever you are going to be, be a good one.
~Abraham Lincoln

So is the consensus after reading a lot of pain and heartache on this post.
Clean formatted sd card, download the update to the card. Update the bird, with the rc switched off. Format the card again and load the update on to the card , then update the rc.

Just done the update and everything went fine. I see that now after the update, to shut down we have to hold both stick 5 and 7 o'clock position. Holding left stick fully back no longer works ?

Last edited:
So is the consensus after reading a lot of pain and heartache on this post.
Clean formatted sd card, download the update to the card. Update the bird, with the rc switched off. Format the card again and load the update on to the card , then update the rc.
No need to format the card again - just delete the txt file and then update the RC or Inspire depending which way round you did it.

The protocol that was listed isn't really anything out of the ordinary. Per the instruction manual, it's one of the ways that you can update the firmware. The automated update through the DJI Pilot app notification hasn't really been discussed, and I've never updated it that way, so it seems like the jury is still out for that method.

You can always choose not to update it because you don't need to take advantage of any of the "enhancements", but whenever you do decide to update the firmware this is one way to do it. There are little quirks like using the same microSD card that came with the Inspire or formatting it to clean it up (I didn't format mine and the update went fine.), but the firmware seems to work. It looks like the cause for concern is the process of updating the firmware, not the firmware itself.

I think all of us just need to get used to updating the firmware, and the quirks associated with it - eg. re-linking the TX/RX, no video (I had this right after I updated, so I powered everything down including the tablet, and restarted and the problem went away.), not getting a flashing green light after the firmware has completed its' update, etc. Sure, there's a chance you can brick your Inspire, but could happen with any firmware update, not specifically this file.

According to the supplied instructions you have to leave the update on the SD card when updating the Inspire and leave it there to upgrade all your batteries.Is this right?Thought you didn't have to update your batteries.
Instructions:
"The intelligent flight battery is upgraded during the aircraft firmware upgrade proces.It is recommended to keep the upgrade packages
files in your sd card.Upgrade the intelligent flight battery if DJI pilot app prompts.The upgrade will start automatically if the aircraft does not connect to the DJI pilot app after power cycling the aircraft."

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont