Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Firmware updating advice

Reaction score
Given that no-one has any advice on my other problem concerning connecting the app to the craft.

Does anyone know how to see the firmware version on the craft without having the app connected?
I expect the version to be quite old, about 3 to 4 years old.

Are there any pitfalls I should worry about while updrading? Any chance of needing to upgrade to a certain version rather than just going right for the most current version?

any help is appreciated, I want to test the bird out and see if she still works.

I am on the current version and have no problems with it. Remember if you do a update you do the bird first with the RC off.

The app should still work. I would try another usb cord.

If that doesn’t work it could be the usb connection itself on the controller. Not sure how to clean a usb connector.

Also make sure you are logged into the app.

Try uninstalling it and reinstalling the app.

Try and different device also.

Last edited:
i have tried changing the cable, both cables work fine in itunes, i have removed the hdmi board and cleaned the ribbon cable with ipa.
Are you 100% certain that it should work with 3 year old firmware? The phone doesnt react at all when connected to the RC

I have a phantom 3 professional with 1.8 firmware with the newest app version and it works for me.

My inspire is fully updated so can’t really tell on that one.

I’m wondering if your USB in the controller is tarnished and not making a good connection

I am logged in, I have thought about the pins not connecting, perhaps, I may swab them with ipa

well, i updated the craft fine,
now the RC will kind of connect to the craft, the light flashes red and green, it will control the camera gimbal, but not arm the motors,
And of course, I find that after 1.03 firmware I cannot update the RC through the USB anymore, and the app wont connect, so im fully fu**ed.
I tried holding the "academy" button for ten seconds in the app to being up the controller firmware status, it just says disconnected.
What a POS!!!!!

well, i updated the craft fine,
now the RC will kind of connect to the craft, the light flashes red and green, it will control the camera gimbal, but not arm the motors,
And of course, I find that after 1.03 firmware I cannot update the RC through the USB anymore, and the app wont connect, so im fully fu**ed.
I tried holding the "academy" button for ten seconds in the app to being up the controller firmware status, it just says disconnected.
What a POS!!!!!

You will have to take the update now and put it on a microSD card reader usb and update that way to the controller.

Update Inspire 1 / Phantom 3 Remote Firmware with USB stick | Heliguy

does it have to be a micro sd in a usb adaptor? I assume a normal usb drive will work ?

Im starting to think the USB port must be somehow damaged, the controller shows disconnected all the time, which according to various threads on tinternet suggests it is bricked, however, it still reacts and beeps when buttons are pressed, controls the camera, can be put into binding mode and binds with the craft.

but nothing I do will have it react to a usb drive with firmware on it. not even the gs_ofdm.bin voodoo file which is being suggested. I have even removed the HDMI module to see if that makes a difference.

The controller will be disconnected because of the difference in firmware.

The latest firmware will only work with the latest on the controller also.

Also I think you have to have a sd card because of the way it’s formatted. It has to be formatted in fat32 and the only thing that can be on it is the firmware bin file that’s all.

The same way you upgraded the aircraft.

Last edited:
I will try an sd card just to be sure. I didnt know they get formated differently.

even if you format as suggested by DJI, in the camera it will generate a folder that will remain in the mSD when you copy the .bin to it, that folder I've found to be disturbing the process, maybe deleting it will be enough before you put it in it's destination, but I opted to having it formatted in the computer and haven't had one issueue with the process, just issues with the firmware itself.

Given that no-one has any advice on my other problem concerning connecting the app to the craft.

Does anyone know how to see the firmware version on the craft without having the app connected?
I expect the version to be quite old, about 3 to 4 years old.

Are there any pitfalls I should worry about while updrading? Any chance of needing to upgrade to a certain version rather than just going right for the most current version?

any help is appreciated, I want to test the bird out and see if she still works.

I have to make assumptions regarding your equipment, but I assume you use an iPad. These following FW and software versions will insure droning Nirvana.

App: v3.1.1
Aircraft: v1.8.1.00
Remote: v1.6
Camera (x3): v1.8.1

This combination will insure rock-solid performance, will insure AGAINST random tests and/or login requests (which can disable your drone in the field), and will insure good video reception. Add the 32-channel hack for absolutely rock-solid video reception under all conditions.

Note: All those FW / Software versions will work with the X5 camera, as well.

D

Last edited:
I have to make assumptions regarding your equipment, but I assume you use an iPad. These following FW and software versions will insure droning Nirvana.

App: v3.1.1
Aircraft: v1.8.1.00
Remote: v1.6
Camera (x3): v1.8.1

This combination will insure rock-solid performance, will insure AGAINST random tests and/or login requests (which can disable your drone in the field), and will insure good video reception. Add the 32-channel hack for absolutely rock-solid video reception under all conditions.

Note: All those FW / Software versions will work well with the X5 camera.

D
its an iphone 8 plus. I have updated the craft, camera and battery with the latest off the website, but the bloody remote refuses to update via USB, and wont connect to the app. So im stuck

its an iphone 8 plus. I have updated the craft, camera and battery with the latest off the website, but the bloody remote refuses to update via USB, and wont connect to the app. So im stuck

So I guess you didn't watch my videos.

If you can't connect your Remote to your app, this can only be due to a few things, which are all hardware related:

1) Cable failure (I assume you tried a different USB/Lightning cable).
2) RC failure (USB port dead - it happens).
3) iPhone port failure (or other iPhone-related failure).

To troubleshoot #3:

1) Try a different iDevice. Surely someone you know has an iPhone or iPad you can borrow.

2) Connect your phone to your PC. Does your computer see your phone and load the drivers? Does iTunes see your phone? Check the Device Manager to make sure your phone connects to your computer successfully.

Problem solving is about eliminating variables and possible short-comings. Once you positively eliminate cable failure and iPhone failure, we can only assume there is an issue with the RC.

Remember: The RC will connect to the app REGARDLESS of FW version, app version or iOS. If your iOS is new enough to INSTALL the Go-4 app, then it will connect with the RC.

Good luck.

D

Last edited:
ok
based on that info, the RC must have a bad usb port , I have tried several phones and cables which work in itunes, what sort of POS system simply breaks by just sitting in a box? literally the last time the remote was powered up the USB worked fine. I will try to go4 app to make sure.

Reactions: Donnie Frank

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fastprintstar