Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Firmware updating advice

ok
based on that info, the RC must have a bad usb port , I have tried several phones and cables which work in itunes, what sort of POS system simply breaks by just sitting in a box? literally the last time the remote was powered up the USB worked fine. I will try to go4 app to make sure.

I really think your usb got oxidation depending on where you stored the case. Copper oxides over time and would cause a connection issue

Reactions: Donnie Frank
So I guess you didn't watch my videos.

D
ok
based on that info, the RC must have a bad usb port , I have tried several phones and cables which work in itunes, what sort of POS system simply breaks by just sitting in a box? literally the last time the remote was powered up the USB worked fine. I will try to go4 app to make sure.

Do you live in a humid area? Is it possible that the RC's USB port corroded? Have you tried pushing the USB cable in and out of the RC a few times? If corrosion is the problem, pushing the USB cable in and out a few times may help. Blow it out with some compressed air if you have it.

Another question: Have you flown the bird with just the RC? I would at least try to spin up the motors without the props. Move the joysticks around to make sure they're changing motor speeds.

Good luck!

D

Do you live in a humid area? Is it possible that the RC's USB port corroded? Have you tried pushing the USB cable in and out of the RC a few times? If corrosion is the problem, pushing the USB cable in and out a few times may help. Blow it out with some compressed air if you have it.

Another question: Have you flown the bird with just the RC? I would at least try to spin up the motors without the props. Move the joysticks around to make sure they're changing motor speeds.

Good luck!

D

He updated the aircraft to the latest version but is stuck with older version on the controller and since he cannot get the phone to work he doesn’t know what version he has on the controller.

He has to have a bad USB port. But if it worked before and got it out year later and it’s not working makes me think the usb got corroded and the reason why it won’t let him update with usb stick or through the app itself.

He updated the aircraft to the latest version but is stuck with older version on the controller and since he cannot get the phone to work he doesn’t know what version he has on the controller.

He has to have a bad USB port. But if it worked before and got it out year later and it’s not working makes me think the usb got corroded and the reason why it won’t let him update with usb stick or through the app itself.

Very plausible.

D

Given that no-one has any advice on my other problem concerning connecting the app to the craft.

Does anyone know how to see the firmware version on the craft without having the app connected?
I expect the version to be quite old, about 3 to 4 years old.

Are there any pitfalls I should worry about while updrading? Any chance of needing to upgrade to a certain version rather than just going right for the most current version?

any help is appreciated, I want to test the bird out and see if she still works.

Try connecting the Micros USB port to your computer. Use the Assistant 2 software. My controller is on v1.6, so my only option is to "Restore Factory Defaults." If you controller is on v1.7, you may get the option to roll back.

1549428927729.png

Good luck!!

D

the micro usb port is recognised by windows, it says it is conencted to a serial port, I have indeed tried to insert and remove usb devices multiple times to try and clean up the contacts a bit, Im thinking of taking the PCB off theback of the remote and trying to get something into the usb port to scrape it a bit, and yes, I live in a humid and hot area, but I have deliverately kept the batteries and remote in an airconditioned environment, inside a box. They should have survived well. I will try the assistant 2 app on my pc

the micro usb port is recognised by windows, it says it is conencted to a serial port, I have indeed tried to insert and remove usb devices multiple times to try and clean up the contacts a bit, Im thinking of taking the PCB off theback of the remote and trying to get something into the usb port to scrape it a bit, and yes, I live in a humid and hot area, but I have deliverately kept the batteries and remote in an airconditioned environment, inside a box. They should have survived well. I will try the assistant 2 app on my pc

Sounds like you're doing good. If you connect to the Assistant 2 software, it gives you the option to "Reset to factory," which MIGHT help. At this point, you have nothing to lose.

For storage, I would keep your drone stuff in an air-tight plastic container with desiccant. Every time I receive something with desiccant I save it. So I have a whole big bag of it now. I'm not sure where to buy that stuff. I'd look online - maybe eBay or Amazon.

D

no luck, windows see the controller and assigns it a comm port, but the assistant 2 and assistant 2 for phantom apps dont see it. Does anyone know the comm port settings to use putty and see what happens?

Sounds like you're doing good. If you connect to the Assistant 2 software, it gives you the option to "Reset to factory," which MIGHT help. At this point, you have nothing to lose.

For storage, I would keep your drone stuff in an air-tight plastic container with desiccant. Every time I receive something with desiccant I save it. So I have a whole big bag of it now. I'm not sure where to buy that stuff. I'd look online - maybe eBay or Amazon.

D
i have not found dessicant to be neccesary for ANY other consumer electronics over the last five years. What annoys me is that I took the time to cycle batteries over the 18 months they sat, I powered the controller up and let it run down to 50% then charged it back up, and still something buggers it!!!

I just rummaged around and found an old USB with an LED indicator on it, I can confirm that there is no sign of life from it when the RC is powered, so it looks like a dead USB for one reason or another, I will open the back and clean the ribbon with IPA and see if that helps, I have already reseated it twice to no avail. I cannot get the handset open though as the case is binding on the top edge right by the antennas, is there a hidden screw or something there?

no luck, windows see the controller and assigns it a comm port, but the assistant 2 and assistant 2 for phantom apps dont see it. Does anyone know the comm port settings to use putty and see what happens?

By "Windows sees the controller," I assume you are seeing it in the Device Manager, yes? If so, the Device Manager can net a plethora of other useful information...like the comm port (assuming a driver is given).

Here's a screen capture of what it should look like:

DJI.JPG

D

it just shows up as a usb serial device, and is assigned a com port, do you know what baud rate etc is used to communicate with it ?

it just shows up as a usb serial device, and is assigned a com port, do you know what baud rate etc is used to communicate with it ?

I do not know the baud rate. I imagine 9600, but who knows? Baud rate is probably automatically set to the highest setting or a "safe" setting, I assume.

If the controller is seen in your Device Manager, then there's no reason why you can't connect it to the Assistant 2 software. What behavior do you get when you connect your controller to Assistant 2? Does Assistant 2 SEE the controller? Send a screen capture.

D

its says no device connected, I dont have the controller with me at the moment, i will get a screeshot later

its says no device connected, I dont have the controller with me at the moment, i will get a screeshot later

Sounds like you have a bad usb. Or I wonder when you took the usb board out could you have a micro rip in the ribbon cable.

If not try taking the ribbon cable back off the board and lightly use a pencil eraser to clean contacts and reinstall the board to hopefully get it going.

If you would, get a screen shot of the Device Manager. Specifically the "Com" section expanded. If there is no "Com" section, then it's safe to assume your controller has given up the ghost. If the remote IS seen by Windows and given a driver, we may be dealing with some other issue.

More troubleshooting: Connect your bird to your PC to insure Assistant 2 sees your bird. If Assistant 2 does NOT see your bird, then we are dealing with compound issues. You will need to get Assistant 2 working first with a known-to-be-working device (like your drone). THEN we can test the remote again.

D

Reactions: Garbear75
If you would, get a screen shot of the Device Manager. Specifically the "Com" section expanded. If there is no "Com" section, then it's safe to assume your controller has given up the ghost. If the remote IS seen by Windows and given a driver, we may be dealing with some other issue.

More troubleshooting: Connect your bird to your PC to insure Assistant 2 sees your bird. If Assistant 2 does NOT see your bird, then we are dealing with compound issues. You will need to get Assistant 2 working first with a known-to-be-working device (like your drone). THEN we can test the remote again.

D
thanks for the advice, I will look into it tommorow. Does assistant 2 definatly work with the I1? it doesnt say so on the web page.

Sounds like you have a bad usb. Or I wonder when you took the usb board out could you have a micro rip in the ribbon cable.

If not try taking the ribbon cable back off the board and lightly use a pencil eraser to clean contacts and reinstall the board to hopefully get it going.
I will make sure the cable isnt damged, but it wasnt working before I took it apart, and I am experienced enough not to damage it. I cleaned the contacts with ipa and a cotton swab, but i may try an eraser just incase . lol

thanks for the advice, I will look into it tommorow. Does assistant 2 definatly work with the I1? it doesnt say so on the web page.

I can't say for sure. I'm thinking that it does not. I use it on my P4P and my Mavic Pro, but haven't tested it on my Inspire 1. Now you got me curious....

D

I can't say for sure. I'm thinking that it does not. I use it on my P4P and my Mavic Pro, but haven't tested it on my Inspire 1. Now you got me curious....

D

I don’t think it does work because of it’s generation group of drones.

P3, inspire 1 , all have radius for no fly zone

p4 , inspire 2 , spark , mavic pro, all have flight pathways with radius no fly zones.

I have P3P and inspire 1 because where I live I have the flight pathways. The reason why is I bought a spark and couldn’t go no higher then 120 feet and was dumb found because my P3P and inspire 1 can go to 400 feet. Did some digging and found out all the newer generation of DJI has flight pathways for airports.

So this makes me think the assistant software will not work with generation 1 inspires because it’s not in the latest group of drones from DJI.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips