Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Flat RAW / DNG files from X5S (still photography)

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have read the thread below from "Pandion" but have a slightly different issue with the DNG files.

I appreciate that we are talking RAW / DNG files, but when converting with either Adobe PS cc or Lightroom, the unedited RAW is very flat with no saturation or depth.

I am a professional photographer, (www.michaelwhitestone.co.uk) so used to working in RAW with my EOS 5d4, but I simply can not get a decent end result with these from the Inspire and X5s camera.

JPGs are fine.

If you have the time, please have a look at the uploaded RAW file?

RAW dropbox link here:
Dropbox - DJI_0005.DNG

JPG here:
Dropbox - DJI_0005.JPG

Many thanks in advance.

Michael.

Hello Whitestone. We just had this same question from another client of ours in Pittsburgh. His results were nearly identical to you yours. We helped with some LR settings that ultimately got the photo looking like the .jpg but it took a lot of adjustments. Then, a few days later, he did the newer firmware upgrade to his copter and his mobile device and called me back saying the DNG files look like he had expected them to look and was very pleased with them again. I am not sure if he had changed any settings by accident that got reset with the firmware upgrade or if the upgrade actually fixed an issue relating to this.

Id take a look at what version you are using of everything and see if upgrading is something that might be able to help you.

Keep us posted...

Hello Whitestone. We just had this same question from another client of ours in Pittsburgh. His results were nearly identical to you yours. We helped with some LR settings that ultimately got the photo looking like the .jpg but it took a lot of adjustments. Then, a few days later, he did the newer firmware upgrade to his copter and his mobile device and called me back saying the DNG files look like he had expected them to look and was very pleased with them again. I am not sure if he had changed any settings by accident that got reset with the firmware upgrade or if the upgrade actually fixed an issue relating to this.

Id take a look at what version you are using of everything and see if upgrading is something that might be able to help you.

Keep us posted...
Thanks for quick response. I'll have a look now, and get back. Michael.

I was shooting stills yesterday in the DNG/JPG mode. I also used the xrite ColorChecker and its software to make a profile for Lightroom which really helped kick up the colors and contrast off the DNG file once loaded into Lightroom. I have an oversized printed ColorChecker card as someone in a printer forum designed in the link which is easier for the aerial drone to spot. I include it when I land too so I can get a reading off it and I can apply it in the DaVinci Resolve 14 Beta too for video: DIY Colorchecker Chart.

Using ColorChecker video:

I was shooting stills yesterday in the DNG/JPG mode. I also used the xrite ColorChecker and its software to make a profile for Lightroom which really helped kick up the colors and contrast off the DNG file once loaded into Lightroom. I have an oversized printed ColorChecker card as someone in a printer forum designed in the link which is easier for the aerial drone to spot. I include it when I land too so I can get a reading off it and I can apply it in the DaVinci Resolve 14 Beta too for video: DIY Colorchecker Chart.

Great idea.

Reactions: SanCap

Thank's. Am looking at video now.

Keep us posted...

Hello again.

Checked firmware. All up to date. Will try another DNG convertor in case it's Adobe.

One more bit of info that I remembered. Someone at DJI (I think thats where I heard it) said that there is a small bug in the GoApp where the settings used for your video are what drive the look of your photos. If you happen to have DLOG selected or something flat in your video settings try changing them all to the standard / default settings. That might also get you taken care of.

As a serious photographer, I've been using Photoshop for years. I've never shot jpegs as I've adjusted each image one at a time. I use a number of plugins as well - previously the Nik collection and now Luminar.

I keep hearing that people are unsatisfied with the DNGs. Here's an example from last week taken with the Olympus 12mm lens:

One more bit of info that I remembered. Someone at DJI (I think thats where I heard it) said that there is a small bug in the GoApp where the settings used for your video are what drive the look of your photos. If you happen to have DLOG selected or something flat in your video settings try changing them all to the standard / default settings. That might also get you taken care of.

Thanks for taking trouble to reply. just gave it a go, and no change. Was in standard, so went to DLOG and back just to see. Still all flat!

The above image was shot as a DNG. Im only using DLOG. The raw image is flat, and similar to the video, the processing is what ultimately generates the final image.

Thanks for taking trouble to reply. just gave it a go, and no change. Was in standard, so went to DLOG and back just to see. Still all flat!
Its no trouble at all...thats what we are all here for. Happy to help. I'll continue to look for solutions and let you know what I find out. As a way to make sure there is nothing set in your app that is telling your camera some bad setting, you could consider removing the app from your mobile device and doing a fresh install - or grab another mobile device, put the app on it and try that one.

Compared to a Nikon or Canon raw file, the DNGs from the I2 are substantially different. Nikon and Canon raw files need minor tweaks. The workflow for the X5S is similar, however the adjustments are greater.

The latitude compression on the histogram displays a rather flat dull raw image. It looks similar to the ProRes video clips I place on my timeline before color grading.

However when you set the levels and curves, and control the saturation, the images become impressive.

Hope this helps.

Barry

Compared to a Nikon or Canon raw file, the DNGs from the I2 are substantially different. Nikon and Canon raw files need minor tweaks. The workflow for the X5S is similar, however the adjustments are greater.

The latitude compression on the histogram displays a rather flat dull raw image. It looks similar to the ProRes video clips I place on my timeline before color grading.

However when you set the levels and curves, and control the saturation, the images become impressive.

Hope this helps.

Barry
I agree 100% on this. It was the same for the other client I mentioned we helped...the adjustments were far more than he was used to making. But this is also the client who did something in the past few days that has changed the look of his DNGs and he is much happier with them now. They will never look like a processed JPG - and we would not want them to - but his seemed to have a different level of contrast or something that made them look less like a LOG file and more like a Canon RAW file.

Its no trouble at all...thats what we are all here for. Happy to help. I'll continue to look for solutions and let you know what I find out. As a way to make sure there is nothing set in your app that is telling your camera some bad setting, you could consider removing the app from your mobile device and doing a fresh install - or grab another mobile device, put the app on it and try that one.

Hello again. Re-installed app. no joy. I've taken on board what Barry Bittan said in the post above, but the fact that you said your client had the same problem, which suddenly corrected itself, still makes me think that something is up. My Phantom DNG files were all fine in their standard state when opened in RAW converter

Hope this helps.

Barry

Thanks for your time Barry. I take on board what you say, but my DJI files are soooo flat. Have you had time to have a look at the sample? It can be tweeked, but dare I say, not to the jpg quality!

RAW dropbox link here:
Dropbox - DJI_0005.DNG

JPG here:
Dropbox - DJI_0005.JPG

Regards, Michael.

Thanks for that Barry. That's the sort of result I got, but it's not true to life in the way that the jpg is. (sorry if that sounds rude). I do appreciate all the comments and advice. Regards, Michael.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop