Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Flouting the law?

Reaction score
Website
www.flysafe.club
Being a member of this forum has been an honour and I see the vast majority of members are flying inside the various regulations laid down by authorities around the world. However I'm also a member of the 'MavicPilots' group and it seems the opposite there.

I'd like to ignore these people and put it down to lack of brain cells but the more and more incidents I see make me less and less eager to invest in this technology due to the real threat of legal sanctions and possible bans.

I wanted to ask the opinions of this groups members and see if I'm just worrying about nothing or do others feel the same way??

:(:(:(

Being a member of this forum has been an honour and I see the vast majority of members are flying inside the various regulations laid down by authorities around the world. However I'm also a member of the 'MavicPilots' group and it seems the opposite there.

I'd like to ignore these people and put it down to lack of brain cells but the more and more incidents I see make me less and less eager to invest in this technology due to the real threat of legal sanctions and possible bans.

I wanted to ask the opinions of this groups members and see if I'm just worrying about nothing or do others feel the same way??

:(:(:(
I could say so much in response to this but will refrain!
I have my own opinions (I always do) about the 'New wave' of UAV owner that seems to be emerging together with their attitude to the laws and authority in general.

Let's see where this thread leads......

P.S. - yes, we're a civilised, gentlemanly bunch on here. :p

I could say so much in response to this but will refrain!
I have my own opinions (I always do) about the 'New wave' of UAV owner that seems to be emerging together with their attitude to the laws and authority in general.

Let's see where this thread leads......

P.S. - yes, were a civilised, gentlemanly bunch on here. :p
I always make a nice cup of Tea when I visit this forum, unlike the Mavic one where I prepare my senses for stupidity at its finest. It's pretty much either logic or crazy, not much middle ground.

The trouble is if the 'New Wave' did an awareness course then they would discover that most of their bright idea flying plans would not get off the ground.

Reactions: The Editor
wa
The trouble is if the 'New Wave' did an awareness course then they would discover that most of their bright idea flying plans would not get off the ground.
'Flight Plans', chance would be a fine thing. I've emailed DJI to ask if they can respond to the impending collapse of the retail sector if this 'who give a f$$k' style flying continues and the governments takes action to 'clip the props'.

The writing may already be on the wall. If DJI restrict their aircraft too much, the market dies. If they don't, we get more regulation, which makes the market die. Although having said that, the CAA and EASA could bring in as much regulation as they liked, but it is no good if they don't enforce it. If errant drone fliers were well known to get clobbered by the law then maybe people would be more responsible. Certainly though, I think that some sort of registration system when you buy a drone might make people think twice before doing something stupid from a psychological point of view.

The writing may already be on the wall. If DJI restrict their aircraft too much, the market dies. If they don't, we get more regulation, which makes the market die. Although having said that, the CAA and EASA could bring in as much regulation as they liked, but it is no good if they don't enforce it. If errant drone fliers were well known to get clobbered by the law then maybe people would be more responsible. Certainly though, I think that some sort of registration system when you buy a drone might make people think twice before doing something stupid from a psychological point of view.
Thanks for the input Simon, yes agree the requirement has to be that drones with a larger range have to be registered. The simplest method is to have a manufacturer implement this into the software so without registration details the drone is not activated.

Will be a shame to be limited to a 50m ceiling and 100m range but with current v-loggers ignoring the laws and encouraging idiots to fly recklessly this would be the minimum punitive measures we can expect.

I don't have a license as was due to do it November but the little case of Emigrating to Canada go in the way. But now I question whether I should bother with the likely hood of a ban if things continue.

The change of attitude by the majority is given me a lot of trouble in the last 6 months.2 years ago there were always people coming up to me and asking what I was doing and EVERYBODY! was positive about what I was doing.The last 6 months i did have at least 5 moments of trouble .This goes from " I call the police" or "get the Hell out of here".I will certainly will not invest anymore.
Dutch laws will spoil everything at 2017 and for me it is a hobby where I got paid for sometimes.
I have been on places where other "pilots" were flying and when I point them about the rules(laws) I have to be very carefull that this will not end in a fight..

Being a member of this forum has been an honour

Ohkay.

but the more and more incidents I see

What do you define as an "incident?" A mere deviation from the letter of the law? Or one that results in a narrowly avoided collision? Or actual contact between machine and man, or man's property resulting in damages?

I wanted to ask the opinions of this groups members and see if I'm just worrying about nothing or do others feel the same way??:(:(:(

Worrying is something mothers do when their children are out of their sight. It has no benefit to anyone.

There is no worthwhile endeavor known to mankind that does not to one degree or another, claim property and limb, and these are rarely legislated out of existence. If anything, the initial concerns for privacy have set the bar higher than it otherwise should be, and personally I see a rollback towards legislation making more sense.

The change of attitude by the majority is given me a lot of trouble in the last 6 months.2 years ago there were always people coming up to me and asking what I was doing and EVERYBODY! was positive about what I was doing.The last 6 months i did have at least 5 moments of trouble .This goes from " I call the police" or "get the Hell out of here".I will certainly will not invest anymore.
Dutch laws will spoil everything at 2017 and for me it is a hobby where I got paid for sometimes.
I have been on places where other "pilots" were flying and when I point them about the rules(laws) I have to be very carefull that this will not end in a fight..
It's a real shame but I have had similar experiences with responses from the Public, the overall sway seems to be negative due to the press. Who of course only respond to the negative stories of idiots and not the applications such as 'Emergency Services'.

Ohkay.

What do you define as an "incident?" A mere deviation from the letter of the law? Or one that results in a narrowly avoided collision? Or actual contact between machine and man, or man's property resulting in damages?

Worrying is something mothers do when their children are out of their sight. It has no benefit to anyone.

There is no worthwhile endeavor known to mankind that does not to one degree or another, claim property and limb, and these are rarely legislated out of existence. If anything, the initial concerns for privacy have set the bar higher than it otherwise should be, and personally I see a rollback towards legislation making more sense.
Thanks for comment, to respond in full. By incident I mean anyone recklessly flying, not particularly causing neither damage or injury. Regarded your definition of 'worrying':

worrying.png

I hope the above helps.

Regarding the 'rollback' of legislation, I can't ever see that happening but if WE as users act and in turn do not give people reason to worry or complain then we can potentially stop the negative attitudes and in turn further legislation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yellow Fellow
Thanks for comment, to respond in full. By incident I mean anyone recklessly flying, not particularly causing neither damage or injury. Regarded your definition of 'worrying':

worrying.png

I hope the above helps.

Regarding the 'role back' of legislation, I can't ever see that happening but if WE as users act and in turn do not give people reason to worry or complain then we can potentially stop the negative attitudes and in turn further legislation.

1. Neither of us needs the definition of worrying explained. You just need to explain to me its benefit in contradiction to my explanation of its lack thereof. My benefit I mean:

benefit

[ben-uh-fit]

noun
1. something that is advantageous or good; an advantage.

2. a payment or gift, as one made to help someone or given by an employer, an insurance company, or a public agency.

And since we want to play grammar Nazi this morning:

rollback

[rohl-bak]

noun
an act or instance of rolling back.
a return to a lower level of prices, wages,etc., as by government order.

2. I would still like a better definition of Reckless which is too subjective. Is reckless Flying Too Close to people and property? Is it flying B vlos regardless of how close or how strong the signal is? Or maybe just flying within the limits of a municipality that has a ban on them?

My positive to negative reaction ratio is currently between 10 and 15 to 1. I enjoy setting up at Ocean inlets and practicing shooting boats as they come and go. I don't get too close, and I don't hang around longer than one pass in the reaction is always positive. Most people nowadays like being on camera and I get lots of waves and mugging. Maybe it's because people are generally friendlier here, and more uptight wherever you are from. Maybe it's because you spend too much time in their personal space. To be sure, Western culture has developed a hypercritical mentality, finding crisis/ fault wherever it can and making it up when it can't.

1. Neither of us needs the definition of worrying explained. You just need to explain to me its benefit in contradiction to my explanation of its lack thereof. My benefit I mean:

benefit

[ben-uh-fit]

noun
1. something that is advantageous or good; an advantage.

2. a payment or gift, as one made to help someone or given by an employer, an insurance company, or a public agency.

And since we want to play grammar Nazi this morning:

rollback

[rohl-bak]

noun
an act or instance of rolling back.
a return to a lower level of prices, wages,etc., as by government order.

2. I would still like a better definition of Reckless which is too subjective. Is reckless Flying Too Close to people and property? Is it flying B vlos regardless of how close or how strong the signal is? Or maybe just flying within the limits of a municipality that has a ban on them?

My positive to negative reaction ratio is currently between 10 and 15 to 1. I enjoy setting up at Ocean inlets and practicing shooting boats as they come and go. I don't get too close, and I don't hang around longer than one pass in the reaction is always positive. Most people nowadays like being on camera and I get lots of waves and mugging. Maybe it's because people are generally friendlier here, and more uptight wherever you are from. Maybe it's because you spend too much time in their personal space. To be sure, Western culture has developed a hypercritical mentality, finding crisis/ fault wherever it can and making it up when it can't.
Thank you for correcting my bad grammar and without descending into childish retorts I'll stick to the basics. Anybody ignoring the rules/laws as per the local country.

Also I'm sure you abide by the local rules, have insurance and practice safe distances while passing above the boats. Regarding the attitudes in the UK, it's a small place and people appreciate their privacy or at least having the freedom to decide.

Reactions: Pescatoral Pursuit
Holy cow what a corprate bunch we have here today, all proper and well groomed I see. :rolleyes:

Damit, I can’t stand it! I’m always for the underdog and love to get dirty.

If the people on this planet were to abide by all the “ridiculous laws “and so called “authority” we would not have the technology we have today! These people, aka “lack of brain cells” built what your flying today, and I might add, the phones and a slew of others things as well! Oops, forgot about the Samsung 7 burning up the place but that’s for another discussion...

So, please forgive me if I slide that tea over and barf.

barf
/bɑːf/
verb (transitive)
1. to vomit

Last edited:
Holy cow what a corprate bunch we have here today, all proper and well groomed I see. :rolleyes:

Damit, I can’t stand it! I’m always for the underdog and love to get dirty.

If the people on this planet were to abide by all the “ridiculous laws “and so called “authority” we would not have the technology we have today! These people, aka “lack of brain cells” built what your flying today, and I might add, the phones and a slew of others things as well! Oops, forgot about the Samsung 7 burning up the place but that’s for another discussion...

So, please forgive me if I slide that tea over and barf.

barf
/bɑːf/
verb (transitive)
1. to vomit
Agreed Port.
I admit that I have broke the law many times(flying too far etc.)but always on places where it's pretty safe to do.But flying in total darkness and fireworks and above a town is not only stupid but also the most stupid thing you can do.This is one of examples where I'm talking about.
But I agreed that there are a lot of ridiculous laws.Here you will not able to fly over 300 ft(100mtr) away and 150 ft (50mtr) height in 2017.For sure this "law "will be broken.Including me(I see what this will do).
So instead of a cup of tea I offer you a big can of bear:D:cool::D:cool:.Enjoy!!

I do have to agree in part as the 'Maplins drone culture' is highly frustrating. My friend runs a model shop and he says it is a constant battle trying to educate the majority of wannabe drone operators that enter the shop.

I think legislation will be the will be the key and it will most likely boil down to 'licensed operator' with registered platform. In this case I think it is worth while doing the appropriate courses; BNUC, RPQ-s etc. as, in the same way the CAA currently treat things like BMFA certs as exemption criteria in certain circumstances, the current proficiency courses will possibly be the first rung on the ladder if licensing does occur.

I think its inevitable that due to lack of education or stupidity that is slowly eating away at a hobby that used to be populated by educated enthusiasts we will all see increases in costs whether taxes to cover the enforced regulation or insurances to pay for the damages caused by drones falling from the sky's.

Personally I'm not even sure the current courses will be the same by the end of 2017, with EASA and CAA discussing further revisions and the FAA likely to implement more too.

I think 2017 will become the year we lose the sky's.

Sorry to be so gloomy but I see the comments from irresponsible pilots and can't see how it will change.

:(:(

The thing is, it is very tempting to find out what the limits are of these little toylike but incredibly capable gadgets. I can understand that first time buyers don't read the manual or any safety guides. They just take it out of the box, charge the battery and take it for a spin. Because they regard it as the latest gadget. Not as an aircraft. The FPV screen gives an impression of total control and orientation, while it isn't at all, but people don't realise that until it's too late.
Also, the anti collision system is trusted for 100% by these folks. It's on there so it should work.
The fortunate ones will only lose there Mavik in the trees.
Like this one, his Mavik went in RTH into a palmtree and he couldn't get it out. He went to a nearby shop to buy a football to throw in the hope to get it out, only to find his brand new Mavik stolen.

We will see tons of these stories on the tubes.

Manufacturers like DJI are to blame, telling the public for 2 years already that everybody can fly a drone. They can't, they can only press a finger on a smartphone screen.

It's only the beginning.

The thing is, it is very tempting to find out what the limits are of these little toylike but incredibly capable gadgets. I can understand that first time buyers don't read the manual or any safety guides. They just take it out of the box, charge the battery and take it for a spin. Because they regard it as the latest gadget. Not as an aircraft. The FPV screen gives an impression of total control and orientation, while it isn't at all, but people don't realise that until it's too late.
Also, the anti collision system is trusted for 100% by these folks. It's on there so it should work.
The fortunate ones will only lose there Mavik in the trees.

We will see tons of these stories on the tubes.

Manufacturers like DJI are to blame, telling the public for 2 years already that everybody can fly a drone. They can't, they can only press a finger on a smartphone screen.

It's only the beginning.

Sad but true:(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips