Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Fly Without App?

Reaction score
Hello, Everyone

I am considering purchasing an Inspire. This would be quite a step up from my current "bird" which is a luminere qav250. I am used to flying this LOS which prompts me to ask a rather fundamental question.

Can the Inspire be flown LOS - without the app?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I'm am keen to know the answer!

Perchpole

Hello, Everyone

I am considering purchasing an Inspire. This would be quite a step up from my current "bird" which is a luminere qav250. I am used to flying this LOS which prompts me to ask a rather fundamental question.

Perchpole

Not really as you need you need the app on a ios or android tablet to carry out settings and calibration, battery voltages to name a few things.. the list goes on and on .....it is really an essential piece of kit to fly the Phantom 3 or the inspire

Let alone being able to fly more than 50 yards away from yourself safely

You can fly it without app if you don't care for telemetry data. Most basic functions can be switched straight from the controller, like IOC, RTH, even taking pictures or start filming.

And unlike a small quad, the Inspire is quite good to follow LOS because it has a clear front, back and sides.

However, I concur with Mike Ellgood, it is much safer to see the telemetry and an occasional glimpse on the FPV to see your nose heading, specially in the beginning when you have to learn to recognise it's different behaviours and silhouet/orientation.

I would certainly advise to use the app at all times. But it is good to know that even if the app crashes, or your tablet is giving up, you can still keep on flying normally.

Hello, Everyone

Perchpole

Yes you CAN fly the Inspire without the app/tablet as the control link is totally independent of the app and software - HOWEVER, as mentioned above, it is not advisable as you will not have vital telemetry/data available as well as no fpv feed to frame your shots.
Additionally as Mike mentions, you will be unable to check and sensor values for safety) or calibrate IMU (although you can calibrate the compass without a tablet you cannot see the mod values)

So in answer to your question - YES, but really not advisable and the aircraft was not designed to be used that way.

EDIT: OK...everyone has beaten me to it :p

What I fathom out is why would you want to anyway........... the limitations it puts apon your abilty and the inspires capability to fly safely and get as much fun and enjoyment from the inspire as possible

If cost is an issued then buy the Phantom 3 and the tablet... or wait and save up for a tablet

Remember this.. when it disappears over the horizon .. never to be seen again you will have time to reflect on the wisdom of your actions

Harsh I know but that's a possibility...........

Agree with all above. Using your PC you can calibrate, update and such but the telemetry and FPV is such a game changer and honestly, the thing that makes this bird as impressive as it is as a camera platform. In fact, I seem to be one of the few pilots using two controllers frequently so my flying gets done on the master controller (iPhone screen) while framing and camera control is managed by a DP (with an iPad Mini).

That said, I do fly without the mobile device just to keep my head in the game should so if/when a loss of signal occurs, I'm familiar and ready to fly home safely.

Great bird indeed.

P.S.
maybe you want to consider a late model Phantom 2 which is being sold at a discounted rate or Phantom 3? Seems a little wasteful to fly and I1 without your eyes in the sky so to speak.

I was unable to start the motors without the app. According to the Release Notes, the V1.2.1.0 firmware (and probably those after it) lock the motors after the upgrade and require starting the app to unlock the motors:

http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/inspire_1/en/Inspire_1_Release_Notes_en.pdf

As well, knowing what I do now and my minimal experience, the app is really important. My per-battery checklist has eight (8) separate checks to perform in the app before starting the motors and takeoff:

Check Battery Levels (airframe, remote, tablet)
Airplane Mode (2) on sticks
Multiple Flight Mode Enabled
GPS connectivity (# of satellites)
Failsafe Return To Home Height
Home Point set correctly
MOD values
Sanity check aircraft orientation

Given the reports of fly-aways, etc., I would not even try to fly without the app, especially because I'm a complete novice.

mTp

Last edited:
Thank you all for your advice.

As for "why" would I even consider flying without the app the answer is simple. There seems to be too much emphasis on the app and not enough on learning how to fly properly. I'm keen to learn the hard way in the hope that it will actually make me a better pilot!

As for "why" would I even consider flying without the app the answer is simple. There seems to be too much emphasis on the app and not enough on learning how to fly properly. I'm keen to learn the hard way in the hope that it will actually make me a better pilot!
But in order to be a 'better pilot' you must make use of all the tools available to you especially with respect to telemetry data. Then constantly monitor battery voltage,temperature, cell levels, distance, height and bearing information as well as GPS lock and flight mode data.
The Inspire was designed to be piloted with the app being an integral part of the platform.
If you wish to become an accomplished/proficient RC pilot then you can do no better than a collective pitch helicopter.

I will probally be a better pilot than you will ever be... and the reason for that is I started about 2+ years ago.. building quads out of wood and alloy metals and learning the hard way.. and over that time have owned about 8+ quads.. which all flew differently and with different flight control systems

Now I have an Inspire and Phantom 3 I earn't my wings and the right to have an opinion

I didn't buy the best available quad on the market at this time and then ask a dumb *** question like yours....

I took the time to respond to your query.. and I now wished I had'nt ... one of life's lessons learn't yet again

You fly your inspire however you want and I wish you well

rant over Thank you

But in order to be a 'better pilot' you must make use of all the tools available to you especially with respect to telemetry data. Then constantly monitor battery voltage,temperature, cell levels, distance, height and bearing information as well as GPS lock and flight mode data.
The Inspire was designed to be piloted with the app being an integral part of the platform.
If you wish to become an accomplished/proficient RC pilot then you can do no better than a collective pitch helicopter.

+1

Last edited:
Thanks, Mike.

I came to this forum with a perfectly fair and reasonable question. I'm grateful to everyone who gave me their advice. I'm not entirely sure what I said in response to offend you but I think you have completely over reacted.

I will probally be a better pilot than you will ever be... and the reason for that is I started about 2+ years ago.. building quads out of wood and alloy metals and learning the hard way.. and over that time have owned about 8+ quads.. which all flew differently and with different flight control systems

Now I have an Inspire and Phantom 3 I earn't my wings and the right to have an opinion

I didn't buy the best available quad on the market at this time and then ask a dumb *** question like yours....

I took the time to respond to your query.. and I now wished I had'nt ... one of life's lessons learn't yet again

You fly your inspire however you want and I wish you well

rant over Thank you

Dang! There are some ruthless people around here. :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry