Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Gimbal shake - more than we originally saw?

Incase anyone missed it, here's a good video with both P2V+ and Inspire footage. I posted under this topic because I was glad I didn't see any gimbal shake during the highway pan and tilt shot by the Inspire. Their P2V+ however has some crazy tilt going on with it's gimbal. They need to throw that thing in the garbage.

In my opinion the shaking starts the new middle screw that transforms the drone begins moving. It all comes from the shapes or all screws... I think it cannot be "fixed". Hopefully it's not shaking while the gimbal tilt.

I think it might be an interaction between the vibration damping mount and the x-axis gimbal. It seems to happen even when the H-frame isn't moving and seems to be more pronounced with the H-frame in the up position. It shouldn't have much of an effect on video quality (aside maybe very close shots) as its a small movement and a low frequency - but it is annoying to look at. Because the camera is hung on a long cantilever it has a lot of inertia. If it gets a lateral impulse it will displace and rotate slightly on the rubber grommets above. If the gain is too high on the gimbal for small displacements it will apply a torque to counter the small rotation and - like a kid pumping his legs on a swing - you will feed the harmonic resonance of the sprung pendulum that is the camera/gimbal assembly. Should be easily fixed by either tweaking the gain on the gimbal motor or putting in stiffer rubber in the vibration mounts. I'd be curious what sort of control system they are using for the gimbal - stratight rotation angle proportional feedback or a PD (proportional-derivatve) or PID (proportional-integral-derivatve) controller, or something else. Whatever they have right now isn't very stable to perturbations. I can't imagine they will leave it that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: thumpinhard
Concerned with the landing gear and body visible in that pan shot at around 50 seconds. Looks like the legs were up during that as well…

Concerned with the landing gear and body visible in that pan shot at around 50 seconds. Looks like the legs were up during that as well…

Not every camera angle is going to miss the gear, props etc. It looks like if you want to do a pan with the camera field of view well above the horizon you might have a little more flexibility yawing the entire helicopter rather than panning the camera, though that would be harder to execute with a separate pilot and camera operator. It's still a lot better than most mulitrotors on the market.

Reactions: DustyVisor
I think it might be an interaction between the vibration damping mount and the x-axis gimbal. It seems to happen even when the H-frame isn't moving and seems to be more pronounced with the H-frame in the up position. It shouldn't have much of an effect on video quality (aside maybe very close shots) as its a small movement and a low frequency - but it is annoying to look at. Because the camera is hung on a long cantilever it has a lot of inertia. If it gets a lateral impulse it will displace and rotate slightly on the rubber grommets above. If the gain is too high on the gimbal for small displacements it will apply a torque to counter the small rotation and - like a kid pumping his legs on a swing - you will feed the harmonic resonance of the sprung pendulum that is the camera/gimbal assembly. Should be easily fixed by either tweaking the gain on the gimbal motor or putting in stiffer rubber in the vibration mounts. I'd be curious what sort of control system they are using for the gimbal - stratight rotation angle proportional feedback or a PD (proportional-derivatve) or PID (proportional-integral-derivatve) controller, or something else. Whatever they have right now isn't very stable to perturbations. I can't imagine they will leave it that way.
Finally a good explanation.
Now, for other people to thoroughly test this with an actual unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Incase anyone missed it, here's a good video with both P2V+ and Inspire footage. I posted under this topic because I was glad I didn't see any gimbal shake during the highway pan and tilt shot by the Inspire. Their P2V+ however has some crazy tilt going on with it's gimbal. They need to throw that thing in the garbage.

Smooth shot with the inspire..well done in my book.
Cute interplay between the drones.

I ordered the inspire then they called and told of the problem it is with the camera and the sun sometimes flashing on the lens they are putting hood over the camera that is the only problem the rest is good chill out

Thats good news... I can see in the recent photos that the camera house has change, first there was a round form around the lens, but now it is rectangle... Only a few week now and we have it in are hands..

Hmmm. Yes it is....also camera is white and the remote is black....first time I see that also....

That's a beta unit

Don't think that any of the units we have seen so far has been released units. It will keep being an concern to potential buyers and they would like for it to be something that DJI attends to. As for me, I can't imagine a scenario where I will HAVE to film or use the footage taken during the transformation stage...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engko