Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Hidden Port? - Video output on craft HDMI?

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if anyone came across the BTS of the DJI short film shot with the I2

I noticed that they have a hdmi cabled into the inspire for handheld shots. So there must be a port that can be used right? see attached images.

I use the Inspire 2 a lot for live broadcast but sometimes there can be a 1 second delay using the dji downlink and can be unreliable sometimes. I did a bit more researching to see if there was a way to grab a hdmi out from the craft and use a more professional downlink when I came across a teardown of the inspire 2 and noticed this USB port marked in the image attached.

It seems to be a USB>HDMI cable in the pictures (I got a HML cable but it didn't work for me) Maybe the port needs to be activated by modding the Dji assessment parameters?

I would love it if anyone had information or know someone that can help. I would much appreciate it.i2 usb-hdmi port_4.jpgi2 usb-hdmi port_3.jpgi2 usb-hdmi port_2.jpgi2 usb-hdmi port_1.jpg

Good eye. That looks like a standard Micro USB port. The fact that the Inspire 2 has a Micro USB is not a big deal. The fact that it passes video is interesting, but not remarkable. Have you tried to pass video through the Micro USB port on the side?

1592922786367.png

I also noticed a second Micro USB port in the last photo:
1592922152659.png

I don't know what the above device is. That doesn't seem to be anywhere in the instruction manual.

Interesting.

D

I noticed that they have a hdmi cabled into the inspire for handheld shots. So there must be a port that can be used right?
There is, indeed, but not on Inspire. Most likely they've used HDMI output port on a remote controller to feed custom rigged external monitor. Therefore camera man must carry RC on a belt, while gimbal movements are controlled via second controller. This is a 2-man setup anyway, I can't see it working in useful manner filming complex shot.

Said that, I wasn't able to determine the purpose of these two micro USB ports hidden inside Cinecore module. Most likely these are used to diagnose, flush the firmware or install the license at factory, who knows? I had no opportunity to check if one of these can actually output HDMI, but I doubt it.

My knowledge is based on experience building custom handheld Zenmuse X5S/X7 camera. The idea was to scavenge the corpse of heavily damaged Inspire 2, utilizing fully functional Cinecore module. Monitoring was one of obvious obstacles to overcome, but the HDMI output from RC is seemingly the only hassle-free option without risky hit-and-miss messing behind Cinecore module shell. On this rig CrystalSky monitor is wired with RC via USB cable.

Osmo X5S_01.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool setup [B]Dobmatt[/B]. I know what you're saying but I'm saying that there is definitely a way that you can run a HDMI directly out of the craft. Now it could be that they are splicing the cables that run from the gimbal to the Mainboard, I'm not sure? Watch video below you'll notice that they have a SmallHD clamped onto the craft with one HDMI coming out form the craft see image below.. This is exactly what I'm looking for and it must be a HD feed as the SmallHD can't view a 4K HDMI signal.

i2 usb-hdmi port_3 (1).jpg

Very cool setup [B]Dobmatt[/B]. I know what you're saying but I'm saying that there is definitely a way that you can run a HDMI directly out of the craft. Now it could be that they are splicing the cables that run from the gimbal to the Mainboard, I'm not sure? Watch video below you'll notice that they have a SmallHD clamped onto the craft with one HDMI coming out form the craft see image below.. This is exactly what I'm looking for and it must be a HD feed as the SmallHD can't view a 4K HDMI signal.

View attachment 29116
I'm sure you're right, but this is beyond my expertise. I'm a nerd mechanic, not capable to deal with uncharted electronics. Certainly DJI prepared custom rigging for them to make this commercial. Somehow they (DJI) missed this good selling feature of providing direct video output from Inspire's camera, probably planning to offer a dedicated handheld camera for X5S/X7 gimbal. This never happen, hence we've got what we've got. By all means direct video output will eliminate annoying monitoring latency, but - with little practice - you can master the setup with CS monitor wired to a RC output. After all, every camera man on filming set is wired like a cyborg, don't you agree :) ?

There is, indeed, but not on Inspire. Most likely they've used HDMI output port on a remote controller to feed custom rigged external monitor. Therefore camera man must carry RC on a belt, while gimbal movements are controlled via second controller. This is a 2-man setup anyway, I can't see it working in useful manner filming complex shot.

Said that, I wasn't able to determine the purpose of these two micro USB ports hidden inside Cinecore module. Most likely these are used to diagnose, flush the firmware or install the license at factory, who knows? I had no opportunity to check if one of these can actually output HDMI, but I doubt it.

My knowledge is based on experience building custom handheld Zenmuse X5S/X7 camera. The idea was to scavenge the corpse of heavily damaged Inspire 2, utilizing fully functional Cinecore module. Monitoring was one of obvious obstacles to overcome, but the HDMI output from RC is seemingly the only hassle-free option without risky hit-and-miss messing behind Cinecore module shell. On this rig CrystalSky monitor is wired with RC via USB cable.

View attachment 29084

I know it's an old post but just thought I'd partially answer the inspire2 USB mystery. The front one is for the flight controller. And you can see it in all it's glory if you launch assistant to interface with it. Looks like an A3 based controller.

I imagine the rear one is either access to an inserted MicroSD or video access or just a DJI specific interface to reset the thing.... which is what I'm trying to figure out with my lightly crashed inspire that has had the protection circuit triggered.

Reactions: Donnie Frank

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fastprintstar