Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

What should I buy?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am looking to buy my first drone. I do have experience flying drones a little bit and I am stuck on what I should buy.

I have narrowed it down to the Inspire 1 vs the Phantom 4 Vs Phantom 4 Pro.

Im getting more and more into film, making videos and the cinemagraphic shots, and I want to add aerial footage in my videos. I will be doing a lot of videos of cars driving, taking pictures of houses for Realestate, Landscapers, and roofing company's.

I'm ok with paying the extra money for something that will last me longer in my whole career. So what should I look more to buy? I really like the inspire for the fact I have a full 360 degree view below the drone and that I can have a second person control the camera well I fly. But I love that the Phantom for it has the sensors to help make sure I won't crash it into a tree or something stupid.

Would love to hear from people who have flown both or maybe owned one of the 3 or even all three and have seen what works best and what doesn't work.

Thanks!
-Derek Wilson

I think it depends on which camera you use on the Iinspire 1. If you use the X3 then I would say go with the P4P. If you don't mind paying th extra money then, perhaps get the Inspire 1 Pro (X5 camera).

I spent about two months considering the very same thing and decided on the Inspire. the Inspire 1 v2 with the X5 camera should start you right off the bat with an amazing drone and camera. If it continues to be a profit earner then upgrade in time to the Inspire 2.
First, the Inspire is going to impress your clients that you have a better drone than the pesky drone their neighbors kid keeps flying over their yard. Secondly, the Inspire system is one that you can improve on with far better optics. I'm old school, I prefer glass optics in front of my sesnsors.

Depends how much you can spend. If mostly for video on a commercial level I’d go with the i1 raw or pick up the x5r camera for the i1 . The x5 will get you by but the bitrate is the limiter on it. Also you need to ask your self if you need 4 k at 60 or not. If you do it’s the p4p for you. P4p bitrate is more than that of the x5 camera but nothing compared to the x5r camera. It all comes down to your spending budget.

I have all 3 birds you are comparing.

I would suggest the P4P simply because its your first drone, the Inspire is too much drone for first time fliers. Its a big bird and can get you in trouble if youre just starting out.

The p4p is a nice mix of all needs, in fact have you seen the mavic pro platinum ?? I Would suggest that even more to first time drone pilots, its basically in line with p4 video quality but longer range, very stable flight, and extremely portable.

Personally I like the P4P out of them all AS A FIRST DRONE
- Part of latest generation of drones.
- 30 minute flight
- cheap batteries (compared to Inspire)
- 20mp camera
- easy to hand catch/launch
- 360deg sensors and IR side sensors
- Easy to work on, very few moving parts
- VR goggles compatbile
- 5.5" display option available GL300E controller
- Similar top speed to Inspire 1
- 7km radio range

Now to contrast why the inspire 1 wins as an awesome drone [get the T601]
- the landing gear
- all around gimbal view
- dual controllers
- lack of VR goggles... i dont care too much
- ability to replace/repair gimbal if needed or upgrade
- lack of sensors all around (just downward VPS)
- Similar top speed
- Can get the X3 models for relatively good prices

Like mentioned above, I would suggest trying the mavic pro platinum or even regular mavic pro. Its a great all around drone.

Video quality rank and features combined.
Inspire 1 X5 > P4P > Mavic Pro = P4 > Inspire 1 X3

I have been a drone pilot for several years. I had a Blade QX350 and a Chroma that I really liked. I missed them and when the spark came out I had to jump back in with that one. SUPER capable little thing and it out performed both those Blade drones easily. I then decided I wanted to get my Part 107 and shoot commercially as a hobby/side gig.

One thing that sold me on the P4 std over the P4P is I didn't need the higher end camera due to mainly YouTube videos. My target Audience is probably not watching on a 4K monitor or TV...probably. lol. Also, it was my understanding that the P4P's sensors on the sides only work in beginner mode or tripod mode. Otherwise they are off. Wasn't worth the extra to me.

Then customers as mentioned previously, saw plenty of kids with drones that looked like my Phantom. They just don't command the same price when you open it up and a client is present. Hell, the Mavic shoots better video than my Phantom, but customers see a "toy" and want you to price accordingly. This is why I purchased my Inspire. I already posted a few pics, and the most common response from people that are interested in my services or already seen my shooting is "Wow, you should be able to charge triple with that monster!"...little do they know, the camera is pretty much the same as the Phantom...lol. Perception in this business is a huge part of it from what I've seen. Especially down here. YMMV. :)

Reactions: ACDS
I have been a drone pilot for several years. I had a Blade QX350 and a Chroma that I really liked. I missed them and when the spark came out I had to jump back in with that one. SUPER capable little thing and it out performed both those Blade drones easily. I then decided I wanted to get my Part 107 and shoot commercially as a hobby/side gig.

One thing that sold me on the P4 std over the P4P is I didn't need the higher end camera due to mainly YouTube videos. My target Audience is probably not watching on a 4K monitor or TV...probably. lol. Also, it was my understanding that the P4P's sensors on the sides only work in beginner mode or tripod mode. Otherwise they are off. Wasn't worth the extra to me.

Then customers as mentioned previously, saw plenty of kids with drones that looked like my Phantom. They just don't command the same price when you open it up and a client is present. Hell, the Mavic shoots better video than my Phantom, but customers see a "toy" and want you to price accordingly. This is why I purchased my Inspire. I already posted a few pics, and the most common response from people that are interested in my services or already seen my shooting is "Wow, you should be able to charge triple with that monster!"...little do they know, the camera is pretty much the same as the Phantom...lol. Perception in this business is a huge part of it from what I've seen. Especially down here. YMMV. :)
And now I feel like a douche because I upgraded my P4 to a P4P Obsidian...lol. I guess there's worse things I could be addicted to right? ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcusFalc