Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 motor blown off and crashed

Reaction score
Hello!
I was hosting a little game, where people used FPV glasses to get 2D view from above. Drone was standing still on air about 160 feet for about 30 minutes (battery swap also) After the event, i was showing around from above with fpv glasses, i backwarding and raising to 490 feet. And then starting to move straight with sport mode and suddenly one of motors just blown off and fly away, Inspire came directly down to ground and smashed up totally. I send drone to DJI Netherland, i sync also flight logs and tell exact situation. Drone have been there about three weeks, they asked also extra logs from tablet. I send those also, about week it was quiet and now they send me photo of red market sticker and told, this motor (which fly away) had water damage and if i want to replacement, i have to pay, because this isnt warranty case anymore. I was surprised, water damaged? How? I have never been flying with rain or snow with this unit. I have been extremely careful with it, because this is my second Inspire. First one i hit the tree and DJI said then also, this unit has also water damaged and cannot be repair, i was surprised, but they convince me that it could be before the crash, i bought first unit from retail shop and it was used unit. So i thought maybe they just screwed me and sold me unit which had water damage already.
It irritates me that, new Inpsire which now falled down, had also DJI CARE, but i didnt notice that it just ended 20 days before crash, i was wondering why they didnt send any email about that its going to expire so that i can rebuy this. Also how can be that only one of the motor have water damage?
Anyway. I asked also from support about water damage and they just reply that, their mechanics have discovered that this unit had BEFORE the crash water damaged. Anyway i have looked logs for several times, but i think i dont know how to read them correctly maybe (i used airdata app and csv reader) I attached also flight log, maybe someone can take a look and explain me this little bit better.
.dat and .csv log is here: 19-06-23-09-31-54_FLY239.DAT and 1 more file
Here is also photo after the crash. Dont mind yellow duct tape, its for my own purpose. :)

IMG_20190623_214324.jpg

Thank you in advance, Janar

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-06-23_[21-31-55].txt
    965.9 KB · Views: 10
Hello!
I was hosting a little game, where people used FPV glasses to get 2D view from above. Drone was standing still on air about 160 feet for about 30 minutes (battery swap also) After the event, i was showing around from above with fpv glasses, i backwarding and raising to 490 feet. And then starting to move straight with sport mode and suddenly one of motors just blown off and fly away, Inspire came directly down to ground and smashed up totally. I send drone to DJI Netherland, i sync also flight logs and tell exact situation. Drone have been there about three weeks, they asked also extra logs from tablet. I send those also, about week it was quiet and now they send me photo of red market sticker and told, this motor (which fly away) had water damage and if i want to replacement, i have to pay, because this isnt warranty case anymore. I was surprised, water damaged? How? I have never been flying with rain or snow with this unit. I have been extremely careful with it, because this is my second Inspire. First one i hit the tree and DJI said then also, this unit has also water damaged and cannot be repair, i was surprised, but they convince me that it could be before the crash, i bought first unit from retail shop and it was used unit. So i thought maybe they just screwed me and sold me unit which had water damage already.
It irritates me that, new Inpsire which now falled down, had also DJI CARE, but i didnt notice that it just ended 20 days before crash, i was wondering why they didnt send any email about that its going to expire so that i can rebuy this. Also how can be that only one of the motor have water damage?
Anyway. I asked also from support about water damage and they just reply that, their mechanics have discovered that this unit had BEFORE the crash water damaged. Anyway i have looked logs for several times, but i think i dont know how to read them correctly maybe (i used airdata app and csv reader) I attached also flight log, maybe someone can take a look and explain me this little bit better.
Here is also photo after the crash. Dont mind yellow duct tape, its for my own purpose. :)

View attachment 26111

By "suddenly one of motors just blown off and fly away" I assume what you meant was that a propeller came loose and flew away. That's what is shown by the .DAT log.
At time 863 secs the leftBack motorSpeed increased, motorCurrent decreased, and motorCommanded went to 100%

Also the I2 began to rotate CCW. These are all consistent with the leftBack prop either breaking or departing the I2.

No propeller WITH motor fly away. As you see in the picture, one of motors is missing.
It has ripped off all the screws and also one of the screw came of with metal.
I was flying and then heard little noise, same time i saw video feed spinning, and when i wathed to the sky i saw spinning I2 coming down. First i thought some dead bird is also falling down, but it was actually a motor with propeller.

Last edited:
Hello!

View attachment 26111

Motor mount problems on the I2 have been around since production first began and have contributed to a few crashes.
DJI have done nothing to rectify the problem which is why third party motor clamps have sprung up and are sold in quite large numbers.
More threads on the forum regarding the issue (use the search function) as well as different types of motor clamps being sold.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
No propeller WITH motor fly away. As you see in the picture, one of motors is missing.
It has ripped off all the screws and also one of the screw came of with metal.
I was flying and then heard little noise, same time i saw video feed spinning, and when i wathed to the sky i saw spinning I2 coming down. First i thought some dead bird is also falling down, but it was actually a motor with propeller.
I can't see from your picture that a motor is missing. But, then I don't own an I2 so I don't know what to expect. I'll take your word for it though:). The data is also consistent with a lost motor.

One thing I did notice is that the EscTemp is lower on the leftBack by about 5° C for the entire flight. Not sure if it's relevant.

Reactions: marctronixx
I can't see from your picture that a motor is missing. But, then I don't own an I2 so I don't know what to expect. I'll take your word for it though:). The data is also consistent with a lost motor.

One thing I did notice is that the EscTemp is lower on the leftBack by about 5° C for the entire flight. Not sure if it's relevant.
View attachment 26114
I marked the places. :)
But about DJI replying that, it crashed because of water damage? That they analys this log and find that drone was water damaged before the flight, and this caused crash. I mean, is this even possible and i mean is the drone SO SENSITIVE to moisture? Because i havent use this unit never in rain or snow or whatso ever. It frustrating, that how this "water damage" came from.
First they show me sticker, that it has turned red. I was sure that it has turned colour after crash then, but support keeps telling me that, they find from log, that damage has came earlier.
And how is it possible that only one of motors have damaged?

Attachments

• IMG_20190623_214324111.jpg
    IMG_20190623_214324111.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Motor mount problems on the I2 have been around since production first began and have contributed to a few crashes.
DJI have done nothing to rectify the problem which is why third party motor clamps have sprung up and are sold in quite large numbers.
More threads on the forum regarding the issue (use the search function) as well as different types of motor clamps being sold.
In my case, motor clamp didnt broke, the part where motor connects to "wing" i dont know how to describe it :D , but from there it has broken .Here is some photos

Attachments

• IMG_20190625_172514.jpg
    IMG_20190625_172514.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20190625_172521.jpg
    IMG_20190625_172521.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 47
Where are these two missing screws? Did you found them? I am afraid there were only to screws holding the motor!

Where are these two missing screws? Did you found them? I am afraid there were only to screws holding the motor!

Good question! This was same thing what i was first wondering when i looked this. I didnt managed to found any of those scews unfortunately (it happened in meadow) But if you looked the photos, one of the screws has coming off with metal, one hole is filled with powder, i think this is from screw i think. But two other holes are completely untouched and clean. I dont know how is it possible that how those two screws came off so easily and clean, only solution would be that there wasnt any screws at all those holes. I bought unit straight from Netherland DJI and it never opened before now in the DJI. I have fly with this unit about 5-6 hours. (Checked from logs) I dont know, is it possible that motor stayd still with two screws only? Same day earlier, i fly about 3pair of batteries for getting good videos of motorcycle. It may be that it was rough enough for the two screws and later that day drone stand still about 30 minutes or little bit more, and after that i used sport mode and about 6-7sec later it cracked.
Little update from the story also. DJI doesnt believe at all that motor came off, their version is that water damage came and drone started to falling down and motor broke after the crash. I have send them a photo of untouched drone, photo exif info shows the exact time and they can compare it with flight log. They also see that after the crash, drone was still turned on and so flight log, and i dont know, isnt it weird that flight log doesnt show any numbers changing after the crash, i mean if the motor break after the crash, would it show something about log also, but no. Ofcourse no, because motor break off on the air. Motor landed on the building roof and then punched to ground. It has scratces on and one side is bended, but for them it was because hitting the mud and grass.Pretty logical dont you think? Grass and mud bend really tough metal and made scratces on it. I send DJI also a video of the enviroment from there, i have video from the event. I have almost 30 people who saw all this also, but it doesnt matter. Only thing which matter to dji is the sticker! Sticker is red. Its much easier to back on this sticker story to actually get responsible of the faulty drone. Im so sick of this whole story, i have runned from hospital to home to send dji neccesary videos/photos which they needed to proof anything, i havent even managed to relax and be happy of my just borned baby boy. :(
67355722_1087652014738487_6712324574094032896_n.jpg
Three days old Tristian :)
(Pontential future non-DJI user)

Congratulations!!! Don’t care so much about the bird. I know that is a lot of money. But be happy with your son’s birth.
But in the subject we discuss here. I am almoust sure there were no screws. That was the first thougt, I saw this two brand new holes. They should be a little bit dirty with Loctite, which is blue. A month ago I bought a set of screws from Dji, they are blue on thread, painted with Loctite. When you unscrew such a screw, the tread in a hole is a llittle dirty, but not blue as a screw, but looks like a little bit flour was there. Mamy be this is that powder you mentioned in your post. But there is also a piece of screw in the hole. It will be hard to proof that the motor was atached with only two screws.
By the way, I wonder where this red sticker is, on ESC or in the main controller in the front of the Inspire’s body or somewhere else?

Congratulations!!! Don’t care so much about the bird. I know that is a lot of money. But be happy with your son’s birth.
But in the subject we discuss here. I am almoust sure there were no screws. That was the first thougt, I saw this two brand new holes. They should be a little bit dirty with Loctite, which is blue. A month ago I bought a set of screws from Dji, they are blue on thread, painted with Loctite. When you unscrew such a screw, the tread in a hole is a llittle dirty, but not blue as a screw, but looks like a little bit flour was there. Mamy be this is that powder you mentioned in your post. But there is also a piece of screw in the hole. It will be hard to proof that the motor was atached with only two screws.
By the way, I wonder where this red sticker is, on ESC or in the main controller in the front of the Inspire’s body or somewhere else?
Thank you! :)
I know, its just a money, but it just drives me nuts, that they playing like this. But you are right, i have better things to think about. :)
Only sticker of ESC3, same one which has falled off. And only thing i can quess where it might get changed colour was when it falled down, or when i leaved into car after crash, it was night there without briefcase (it didnt fit really well there anymore) And now i have think about it, why the heck i leaved there..it might get moisture from there, it was only open part of the drone, and like they told me several times, that sticker is really sensitive. Also, next day, i try to turn on the drone again, i want to see what batteries will do, are they still working. (They were) Even dji app started, with full page of errors :D

Well, may be beter way will be not to talk to DJI support, but take the stuff back and get a professional technical expertisis in your country or only talk to DJI this way:
„if you don’t agree with me, i will take the wreck to technical institute, to get know what realy happened and how only one pcb got wet” ;-)
Ofcourse it depends if you got DJI Care Refesh - repair will be less expensive than you do it on your own in local service when the expertisis will proof that motor was screw properly!

Well, may be beter way will be not to talk to DJI support, but take the stuff back and get a professional technical expertisis in your country or only talk to DJI this way:
„if you don’t agree with me, i will take the wreck to technical institute, to get know what realy happened and how only one pcb got wet” ;-)
Ofcourse it depends if you got DJI Care Refesh - repair will be less expensive than you do it on your own in local service when the expertisis will proof that motor was screw properly!

Sorry for late reply. In Finland we dont have actually this kind of repair service,they only doing smaller repairs and if theres something bigger, they will send to DJI Netherland. I also contacted to Estonia local repaircenter, and they do the same. But mechanic also told me that,he was going to attend soon some DJI converence in Netherland, and he told me that he gonna bring up the sticker question, because he is also really curious about this sticker. He told me that they have a LOT of the same incidents, where this water sticker magically change colour after the crash and also told me that, it is pointless to argue with DJI, they wont take response of it, only they have to see is the sticker, further expertise is kind of hopeless.
My DJI care refresh finished just 20 days before the crash, i didnt noticed this before the crash. But i just noticed something else. DJI has ripped me off with this drone already when i bought it. When they sold me this unit, they told its a new, as customer service told me, i have luckily also all the messages about this converstation, but now when i starting to wonder why my DJI account doesnt list Inpsire2 there, and little bit research and also i just remember when i was trying to active DJI care, i had issue, that "This unit is already activated more than 3days ago" but i actually just opened the briefcase and turned on, so this drone was already activated and registered to someone else, so its actually a refurbished drone.

Hey! Little update. After long long discussions, they reopen the case (I think its because of this motor photo what i bring up to them many times, but they didnt reply on that) and they took it into warranty. They send it back, but forget my gimbal, after two weeks i got finally gimbal also back. Im happy that they finally make further investigation and i will thank
Stefan van den Berk (Support supervisor) for taking a look into investigation.
But still im not happy at all about whole process. Almost two months of my time wasting just to proof something.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips