Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 Shot down tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
The vandalism is about the only thing the DA could prosecute.

This is the second time you have called this Vandalism, IT IS NOT !!

It's Criminal Damage to Property and over $1200 is a Felony
(vandalism is defacing a Park or a wall on a building)

You really need to talk to someone, and you really need to press as many charges as you can against this guy.

He premeditated the plan of grabbing a firearm and shooting down your 6K drone.
He's laughing now.

Reactions: Viper Pilot
One point that I didn's see covered here is what if he would have missed? Bullets do have to come back down. Some innocent person on the other side of nowhere could have been the recipient of a stray piece of lead.

Wow! I'm just reading this thread and it is unbelievable. For the record, and if this happens to anyone else who has a good idea who did it, the Police should be able to swab the likely shooter's hands for GSR (Gun Shot Residue). This will give an immediate indication if they have fired a weapon recently. Now, the shooter may claim the old, 'I was shooting rabbits in my yard...' but they probably shouldn't be doing that anyway since, as many have noted, it is illegal to discharge a firearm in a residential neighbourhood.

Good luck with your case. It will only take a few people being sent to jail for this and it will hopefully put an end to the hillbilly anti-drone culture. I am more than happy to chip in to prosecute this guy if you start a go fun me page because it will eventually prevent us all going through this individually.

I've had people tell me if I fly my drone over their house they will shoot it down. I usually ask them why they would want to ruin their life like that. That's usually enough to have them ask, what do you mean. Unfortunately the faa needs to start making examples of people that do shoot them down. 10 years in prison sounds like a good start. If the faa doesn't want to protect the drone community like any other aircraft then we shouldn't be made to register them or have to follow any of their rules. Hopefully things get straightened around for ya Brad and justice is served.

I've had people tell me if I fly my drone over their house they will shoot it down. I usually ask them why they would want to ruin their life like that. That's usually enough to have them ask, what do you mean. Unfortunately the faa needs to start making examples of people that do shoot them down. 10 years in prison sounds like a good start. If the faa doesn't want to protect the drone community like any other aircraft then we shouldn't be made to register them or have to follow any of their rules. Hopefully things get straightened around for ya Brad and justice is served.

I'm told that they are "working" on building a case. But it will take months! Now I'm just trying to get DJI Care to cover my repair. Not looking good there. And it wasn't pilot error.

Wow! I'm just reading this thread and it is unbelievable. For the record, and if this happens to anyone else who has a good idea who did it, the Police should be able to swab the likely shooter's hands for GSR (Gun Shot Residue). This will give an immediate indication if they have fired a weapon recently. Now, the shooter may claim the old, 'I was shooting rabbits in my yard...' but they probably shouldn't be doing that anyway since, as many have noted, it is illegal to discharge a firearm in a residential neighbourhood.

Good luck with your case. It will only take a few people being sent to jail for this and it will hopefully put an end to the hillbilly anti-drone culture. I am more than happy to chip in to prosecute this guy if you start a go fun me page because it will eventually prevent us all going through this individually.

He told the cops and me that he was sighting his
22 earlier in the day. So he would have GSR on his
Hands. I've almost handed them the smoking gun but they still won't do anything about it. I have them surveillance footage that shows he clearly lied to the cops to begin with. But still nothing.

Reactions: HarvestMoon
I'm told that they are "working" on building a case. But it will take months! Now I'm just trying to get DJI Care to cover my repair. Not looking good there. And it wasn't pilot error.
I wouldn't put to much trust in dji care. I'm sure they'll fix it but for free I highly doubt it. Was the bullet still in the drone?

Sorry for your loss Brad! Feel this should reach National Attention as it should.. Drones have tripled 3to1 in aircraft sales.. So those in charge "FAA" NEED TO STEP IT UP FOR OUR RIGHTS AND HOBBY.. These aren't "TOYS".. Or Better register them squirt guns for your kids, Just Sayin[emoji848][emoji35]

Who Owns the NAS???[emoji34][emoji34][emoji34]

I keep hearing about damaging our drones is cause for imprisonment under US Criminal Code Title 18 section 32, but there are also provisions for those who threaten to damage these aircraft as well. Section 32 part c states that anyone who "conveys any threat to do an act" ... that will damage aircraft... "with apparent determination and will" ... "shall be fined" ... "or imprisoned not more than five years." This seems to me that even if someone threatens to destroy the aircraft "shall" be arrested as well...

I also don't understand why people play off the toy aspect of this issue. Even if you take an eight pound Tonka truck, Barbie car, or any other toy and drop it from 400', it will seriously hurt someone....

I keep hearing about damaging our drones is cause for imprisonment under US Criminal Code Title 18 section 32, but there are also provisions for those who threaten to damage these aircraft as well. Section 32 part c states that anyone who "conveys any threat to do an act" ... that will damage aircraft... "with apparent determination and will" ... "shall be fined" ... "or imprisoned not more than five years." This seems to me that even if someone threatens to destroy the aircraft "shall" be arrested as well...

I also don't understand why people play off the toy aspect of this issue. Even if you take an eight pound Tonka truck, Barbie car, or any other toy and drop it from 400', it will seriously hurt someone....
Exactly. It's not a toy. It's a flying 4 pound brick that can kill someone. Which is why I'm very careful that I do not fly over people or houses or cars if I can help it. I know when my I1 dropped out of the sky because the battery shut off it wasn't quite 270 ft agl and I thought I was going to have to get a shovel to get the x3 out of the dirt. That would of killed someone if it would of hit them in the head.

Exactly. It's not a toy. It's a flying 4 pound brick that can kill someone. Which is why I'm very careful that I do not fly over people or houses or cars if I can help it. I know when my I1 dropped out of the sky because the battery shut off it wasn't quite 270 ft agl and I thought I was going to have to get a shovel to get the x3 out of the dirt. That would of killed someone if it would of hit them in the head.

Inspire 2 is more like 8lbs with camera:)

In my neck of the woods the police said it was ok to shoot down a drone if it was over private property.
some of might remember my thread about my neighbor shooting at my drone.
I knew it was a no win situation so I just stopped flying there..
I called the FAA three times and never got a call back..
the police didn't care about the projectiles flying through the air and felt I was causing problems by flying my drone in the area..
Anyway..
I'm sorry that this kind of thing is happening more and more..
Life's too short to be fighting over silly things..
I try and treat people the way I want to be treated from the c.e.o. to the janitor..

In my neck of the woods the police said it was ok to shoot down a drone if it was over private property.
some of might remember my thread about my neighbor shooting at my drone.
I knew it was a no win situation so I just stopped flying there..
I called the FAA three times and never got a call back..
the police didn't care about the projectiles flying through the air and felt I was causing problems by flying my drone in the area..
Anyway..
I'm sorry that this kind of thing is happening more and more..
Life's too short to be fighting over silly things..
I try and treat people the way I want to be treated from the c.e.o. to the janitor..
You need to tell your police to go read a book and educate themselves. You live in California by chance?

You need to tell your police to go read a book and educate themselves. You live in California by chance?
yes . I live in California in the Fresno area..
The funny thing is the police officer that got the call from the 911 dispatch was one of my neighbors..
When he showed up with his buddies i asked him to repeat what he said on camera ,he declined..
The office accused me of filming his wife while out sunbathing in her bikini..
Did I mention he was very upset.
Anyway..
In Fresno it's a good idea to do whatever the police say unless you want your butt kicked and thrown in jail..
I usually fly out away from people these days and haven't had any issues.. Sometimes I meet people who are interested in drones and I share my enthusiasm with them while on guard for the anti drone haters and police..
Enjoy your time flying and be happy!

yes . I live in California in the Fresno area..
The funny thing is the police officer that got the call from the 911 dispatch was one of my neighbors..
When he showed up with his buddies i asked him to repeat what he said on camera ,he declined..
The office accused me of filming his wife while out sunbathing in her bikini..
Did I mention he was very upset.
Anyway..
In Fresno it's a good idea to do whatever the police say unless you want your butt kicked and thrown in jail..
I usually fly out away from people these days and haven't had any issues.. Sometimes I meet people who are interested in drones and I share my enthusiasm with them while on guard for the anti drone haters and police..
Enjoy your time flying and be happy!
That explainswhy they didn't do anything. You should call your regional fbi office and tell them what's going on and that you already have filed it with the faa 3 times.

Go get yourself a cheap drone and fly it back and forth over his property, filming the whole thing from the road. When he comes out to shoot it down, you’ve got your guy.

Well guys I was shot down tonight. Had been flying about 10-15 minutes was over a church that's across from me (about 500 ft from where I was standing) and I was hovering at 352 feet when I here a small caliber gun shot and then my bird spinning out of control. He clipped the rear motor on the left side of the bird and it spun to the ground. Destroyed my X4S camera, broke left side arm loose from AC. Damage wasn't real bad other than a very hard landing with Landing gear up.

Filed police report but don't expect much out of it. Just wish the Feds would come and handle the case and get this guy. He denied it to me but then said he hates those "****" things.

I'm very sad and depressed, but very mad as well.
18e1b5ef0964ab264e4aacd1ab9e44a3.jpg
2d8c8493331782e664d415510724fd44.jpg
e701c6fa6500b440a33a514ef672ee2c.jpg
Maybe you Should buy a cheap drone and next time fly it right at the guy in his face! That will teach him to mind his own business!

Reactions: Brad Jones
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop