Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!
Just be aware that with the full size iPads you will either have to remove the case to fit it onto the controller, or use a slim case that is compatible with the 'smart cover' as that leaves one edge exposed so it just (and I really do mean 'just' ) fits onto the standard controller mount.

I put my iPad Pro 9.7 in an Otterbox (the iPad Pro is a big investment) and used this add on hook to keep the protected iPad in place. The assembly feels good and is well ballanced IMHO.

Here is the link to the hook: https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Store-Printed-Extended-Phantom-Inspire-12-9inch/dp/B01KSZT11A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484925041&sr=8-1&keywords=Jack-Store+3D+Printed+Extended+Mount+for+DJI+Phantom+3+/+Inspire+1+Mobile+Device+Holder+to+Clip+12.9inch+13inch+Tablets+Ipad+Air

Attachments

• Otterbox iPad Pro 9.7 front.jpg
    Otterbox iPad Pro 9.7 front.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Otterbox iPad Pro 9.7 back.jpg
    Otterbox iPad Pro 9.7 back.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I typically use an 9.7inch Air 2 mounted on a tripod (+1 for Apple BTW). You can get tripod mounts on Amazon for $20-30. This makes it very easy to have the iPad up at a comfortable viewing angle, and it call still be used with a shade to minimize glare.

That's to bad with the Samsung Tab s2, I was hoping it would make the grade, The screens have a good brightness to them and if they could just get up to speed, then it would be great. I tested out the TabA and like explained about the tab s2 it just missed the mark, I because the Tab s2 has more in its engine I was hoping it was enough to get it over the hill.

I am starting to believe the struggle of getting and android based monitor system has something to do with the USB speed over apple's lightning to USB cable has a better bit rate.

Crap....I Just bought the samsung tab a yesterday for my soon to arrive inspire2.
Guess I'll have to return it for ipad mini

When I first got my I2 I used a Samsung Tab S2 9.7 and it just wasn't reliable. I switched to the I-Pad 9.7 and it's been wonderful. Plus, the addition of being able to use the Autopilot App made it the right choice.

That's to bad with the Samsung Tab s2, I was hoping it would make the grade, The screens have a good brightness to them and if they could just get up to speed, then it would be great. I tested out the TabA and like explained about the tab s2 it just missed the mark, I because the Tab s2 has more in its engine I was hoping it was enough to get it over the hill.

I am starting to believe the struggle of getting and android based monitor system has something to do with the USB speed over apple's lightning to USB cable has a better bit rate.

I used a Tab A and found the telemetry to be very bad. Was the telemetry the issue with the other Samsung devices or was it the app quitting unexpectantly?

Last edited:
Hello,

I've just purchased an Inspire 2 but I'm still on the fence about what tablet to get for it. After reading many forum posts it seems like the DJI app works better on Apple products? Does everyone here agree? I've always been an Windows/Android guy but want to make sure I have the best experience with the Inspire 2.

If Apple is the way to go then I'm thinking it's between the iPad mini 4 or the iPad Air 2. Anyone have thoughts about form factor on the controller? Air 2 too big? Mini 4 too small?

Last question do I need GPS in the tablet? I'd rather just get a WiFi model than have to get the LTE version.

If I purchase the GPS Module for Remote Controller does that take the place of needing GPS in the tablet?

Thanks!

I got a reman Air 1 on eBay for 250 bucks. The screen is brighter than the Air 2, the battery lasts about 10% longer than the Air 2, and it's 200 bucks cheaper than the Air 2. So far, in a 150 flights, the Air 1 has worked flawlessly. This includes the Pix4D capture app.

Regards,

D

Reactions: MobileAndMonitoring
I bought the Galaxy Tab S2 as well. Choose it for the super bright AMOLED screen, useful in strong daylight if you don't use a sun shade. It's the SM-T813 model (9.7", WiFi + GPS only). It fits the controller holder perfectly (168mm high in 170mm high gap).
I've used the built in GPS and It seems to work well but I'm going to buy the GPS module for the RC because I think it will have better sensitivity than the tablet chip.
I had the usual problems with the DJI Go 4 app and Android 6.0.1 USB connectivity but as long as you do the much discussed fix with the developer options and always connect the tablet to the controller before switching on the tablet then it connects no problems.

Apart from almost breaking it in half after spending all night trying to make it connect to the app I've had a great time with the S2. I also had no problem connecting with my HTC M9 smartphone, probably because it's running Android 6.0.0 not 6.0.1
Yes DJI favour Apple over Google but If you want to go the Android route just be wary of 6.0.1

Reactions: MobileAndMonitoring
Geo66, I note your comments about the preferred screen and I see your thinking as mostly sound. You have suggested getting the GPS Module for the remote control "because I think it will have better sensitivity than the tablet chip". It is my understanding that the RC has no way of obtaining any GPS data or co-ordinates from any screen, iPad, iPhone or Android device. I think there is a common misunderstanding in the DJI world, that getting a tablet with GPS capabilities produces information that the RC (or quad-copter) can use. Apps like Autopilot are a different matter. I am happy to be corrected if my understanding of this issue is incorrect. Now that I have an I2, without any GPS capabilities, this issue is still the same.

I used a Tab A and found the telemetry to be very bad. Was the telemetry the issue with the other Samsung devices or was it the app quitting unexpectantly?
Update - just finished a flight and the samsung Tab A telemtry worked perfectly, there was a firmware update and it looks like the problem has been fixed. I'll keep testing but that just saved me buying an ipad mini!

Sent from my SM-T355Y using InspirePilots mobile app

A firmware up date of what? The Samsung device or the I2 Controller or what?
DJI I believe. Started up the inspire this morning and it said inconsistent firmware versions between either the tablet / controller and the airframe. Airframe was updated through the dji go 4 app. The airframe restarted and all worked fine. Will be testing some more over next few days.

Sent from my SM-G930F using InspirePilots mobile app

Hmmmm, interesting. I flew yesterday and didn't see any notices about a firmware update available for either the I2 or the RC.

Hmmmm, interesting. I flew yesterday and didn't see any notices about a firmware update available for either the I2 or the RC.
Yeah, I haven't seen any formal updates come out. It's a bit of a mystery. I'm not complaining mind you, the tablet works so I'm happy.

Sent from my SM-G930F using InspirePilots mobile app

Really appreciate all the responses. Have been using the Apple Air 2 I got used for $200 and it's been working out great. I just make sure I'm in the shade. Fits pretty snug in the RC. Can't imagine going much smaller. Surprised though about battery life. Thought I'd get more but oh well. Is it true the RC cannot charge a device like an iPad?

Really appreciate all the responses. Have been using the Apple Air 2 I got used for $200 and it's been working out great. I just make sure I'm in the shade. Fits pretty snug in the RC. Can't imagine going much smaller. Surprised though about battery life. Thought I'd get more but oh well. Is it true the RC cannot charge a device like an iPad?
Remember the batteries in our iPads get old. It might behoove you to get the battery checked out to see if it is getting old and no longer holds a charge. It can be replaced.

no all my issues have been the apps ability to keep up with the video even when you degrade the video quality, my recent test with the Tab A was very close to a usable product, but at the end of the day it just missed with slight video hits, enough where I am not happy using what I end up seeing.

Reactions: Chris A

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
william_sewell