Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Interesting video showing X5 adapter and X5 Z-axis stabilization arm.

So.......let me get this right (I will sit down first and think about it......)
DJI come up with a z-axis adapter specifically for the X5 camera to fit on the Osmo (different from the X3 Z-axis one).
It is designed, engineered and manufactured solely for the purpose of fitting an X5 camera (and lens) to the Osmo and smoothing out/absorbing the z-axis movement for this combination of equipment.
The only 'slight' problem is...... it doesnt actually work because the spring fitted from manufacture is too weak to support the X5 and Lens (or maybe even the X5 body only)?
However......if you chop 1cm off the spring (and presumably reform the end with pliers) putting it under more tension, then the thing does what it is supposed to do out of the box (but doesn't)?
Is that about right?

Surely, in any country this constitutes a product not fit for purpose and should never been allowed to make it to market?

Please show me where I can buy the X5 Z-Axis stabilizer, sir. I would be glad to order one, but I don't believe it's available yet. Which puts to rest the idea that this product is defective, as no one I know has one to hand.

I wasn't aware that DJI had released a Z-axis stabilizer for the X5. Can you please point me to the item on the DJI Store? I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that you ordered this
adapter, which is for the X3 only. How do you suppose that this adapter would work with the X5, given the increased weight of the X5?
Ah-ha......that might explain things then.
Perhaps the chimps were not monkeying around after all.

The chimps are mainly working in the FW department, I believe. :D
Sorry - I have not been following the Osmo product line as I have no need for one. That's why I asked Damon re the X5 Z axis stabiliser - confusion all round. :p

Once again, the X5 Z-axis isn't available yet but at least one guy has gotten it (Z-axis for X3 which I own) to work fine with the X5 by cutting off 1cm of the spring.

Reactions: The Editor
It probably works, but note 2 things: first, the Z-Axis arm on the X5 proto-type is longer than the X3 arm for what I would assume is the required amount of motion smoothing given the increased X5 weight, and second, there is a cradle on the X5 arm that supports the X5 yaw motor, which is missing on the X3 arm (that would provide much better support for the X5 and would prevent undue strain on the X5 gimbal connection). Use at your own risk.

The purpose of my post was to warn others not to make the same mistake I made by seeing the “introduction” video of the Z-Axis with the X5, ordering the only Z-Axis and X5 adapter that is available at the DJI store and believing they would work together. Lesson learned, with DJI seeing should not be believing.

The purpose of my post was to warn others not to make the same mistake I made by seeing the “introduction” video of the Z-Axis with the X5, ordering the only Z-Axis and X5 adapter that is available at the DJI store and believing they would work together. Lesson learned, with DJI seeing should not be believing.

Thanks for the heads up. I do believe that the description in the DJI Store for the Osmo Z-Axis stabilizer arm mentions in the description that is is intended for the X3 only.

Thanks for the heads up. I do believe that the description in the DJI Store for the Osmo Z-Axis stabilizer arm mentions in the description that is is intended for the X3 only.
You are correct. Now I will have to wait for the “introduction” video for the Z-Axis for the X5R so I can buy the Z-Axis where the description says is works with the X5. See I am learning.

I modified my original z axis for the x5r until the official one comes out. It involved grinding away the locking ring that locks the arm onto the camera because the ring is too wide and hits the gimbal housing. This means the gimbal wont lock into the arm otherwise. This is not an issue on the X5, only X5R.
I used three additional springs from a common 150 peice spring kit you can buy anywhere online. These were in addition to the original spring. There are two springs on the outside and one spring i threaded through the original spring inside the arm. I think you can just about see this on one of the photos.
The tension wheel can then work as normal. It works great. link here..

001750twtoi8buzwuagil6.jpg
001758qxxiuuwaxx0lgxxa.jpg

I modified my original z axis for the x5r until the official one comes out. It involved grinding away the locking ring that locks the arm onto the camera because the ring is too wide and hits the gimbal housing. This means the gimbal wont lock into the arm otherwise. This is not an issue on the X5, only X5R.
I used three additional springs from a common 150 peice spring kit you can buy anywhere online. These were in addition to the original spring. There are two springs on the outside and one spring i threaded through the original spring inside the arm. I think you can just about see this on one of the photos.
The tension wheel can then work as normal. It works great. link here..

001750twtoi8buzwuagil6.jpg
001758qxxiuuwaxx0lgxxa.jpg
Looks good man! Unfortunately (for you), today they literally JUST announced the x5/x5r Z Axis Stabilizer:
Buy Osmo Pro/RAW - Z-Axis

Looks good man! Unfortunately (for you), today they literally JUST announced the x5/x5r Z Axis Stabilizer:
Buy Osmo Pro/RAW - Z-Axis

Has anyone bought the new Z-axis for the X5 and were able to make it work? A friend of mine bought one and it never worked right out of the box. He returned it to DJI and now they are telling him you have to use the X5 adapter in addition to the Z-axis adapter. This seems redundant to me and is not as pictured on the DJI site.

Reactions: Kino

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido