Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Is 15-16 minutes normal flight time for TB48?

Reaction score
I'm a new Inspire owner and have been really impressed with it so far! However, I'm wondering if I'm getting the proper amount of flight time out of my TB48 batteries. I've been getting about 15-16 minutes before they reach the 30% point. Doesn't that sound more like the flight time of a TB47? Is 15-16 minutes normal or is something wrong?

Thanks for any advice!
Tom

Hello, I get 16-17 mins at 30% do a deep cycle from 5% and recalibrate you battery.
I think your ok. I Run 9 TB 48's down to 38- 40% I get about 15 - 17 mins of video time, and let them cool down and store for the next use. I fully Charge for every for flight and deep cycle them every 18-20 cycles.

Last edited:
I'm a new Inspire owner and have been really impressed with it so far! However, I'm wondering if I'm getting the proper amount of flight time out of my TB48 batteries. I've been getting about 15-16 minutes before they reach the 30% point. Doesn't that sound more like the flight time of a TB47? Is 15-16 minutes normal or is something wrong?

Thanks for any advice!
Tom

What temperature / climate are you flying in? Also note that faster maneuvers, wind and altitude affect battery life. Oh and another important note, don't charge your batteries and your RCs from the same charger and the same time. Made that mistake with my first Inspire 1, and had a fully expended TB47 paperweight by the end of the first week - but then again, this was 8 or so months ago, DJI might have figured a workaround / fail-safe for that problem - but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses guys! I don't think my flying conditions are out of the ordinary - anywhere from 50ft to 200ft, usually low winds but hard to tell winds aloft, relatively slow flying, etc. However, it has been 90 or hotter out almost everyday where I live. Could the heat be a factor?

Thanks for all the responses guys! I don't think my flying conditions are out of the ordinary - anywhere from 50ft to 200ft, usually low winds but hard to tell winds aloft, relatively slow flying, etc. However, it has been 90 or hotter out almost everyday where I live. Could the heat be a factor?

Nah, if it was cold then that would be a factor to consider. At your temperature range it shouldn't have any effect on the battery. I've used both TB47 / 48s in 100+ degrees, and although the batteries do get super hot, it hasn't degraded flight time.

Did you full charge your TB48 before your first flight? To the point where the battery indicators are off?

Yes, I left them on the charger overnight and when I went to get them, the lights were off. What's interesting is that it happens no matter which battery I use. If it was just a few (I bought 8), then I could assume it might be a few faulty batteries. Since it happens to them all, it's a bit perplexing.

Yes, I left them on the charger overnight and when I went to get them, the lights were off. What's interesting is that it happens no matter which battery I use. If it was just a few (I bought 8), then I could assume it might be a few faulty batteries. Since it happens to them all, it's a bit perplexing.

Have you updated to the latest firmware? Each battery has to be updated before being used.

Oh boy JRenner, you may be on to something. I remember seeing a warning message saying "battery needs to be updated." then it went away and never came back. I talked to my dealer about this and he said he'd walk me through it but never followed up. Could this be the problem? Have I ruined these batteries?

Oh boy JRenner, you may be on to something. I remember seeing a warning message saying "battery needs to be updated." then it went away and never came back. I talked to my dealer about this and he said he'd walk me through it but never followed up. Could this be the problem? Have I ruined these batteries?

I'm sure it's not a problem. You're going to have to update each battery manually, I'll walk you through it;

1) Make sure each battery is at full charge.
2) Go here; http://www.dji.com/product/inspire-1/download and download the firmware update zip file.
3) Extract that .zip file, it'll open up into a folder with a .bin file and instructions inside.
4) Get your Inspire 1's camera SD card into your computer, and delete all the files in there (obviously if you have footage, download that before deletion)
5) Move the .bin file onto the SD card, eject the card and put that back into the camera.
6) Once your batteries are charged, put one into your Inspire (make sure your props are off beforehand) and switch it on. Some people open up the DJI app and view the update progress from there, but I personally don't do that.
7) If done correctly, you'll hear 4 beeps indicating the update is in progress and 1 beep followed by 2 beeps when the update is done.
8) Switch off the battery.
9) Remove the SD card, put into your computer and check the LOG file (it's a text file). It should say something like 'Update Successful' etc. Once you've gotten to that stage, you're going to have to repeat the procedure (starting from no.5) for all the other batteries.

Let me know how it goes. If you're aircraft's firmware is up to date, the battery update itself shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

Good luck,
Hans

I'm sure it's not a problem. You're going to have to update each battery manually, I'll walk you through it;

1) Make sure each battery is at full charge.
2) Go here; http://www.dji.com/product/inspire-1/download and download the firmware update zip file.
3) Extract that .zip file, it'll open up into a folder with a .bin file and instructions inside.
4) Get your Inspire 1's camera SD card into your computer, and delete all the files in there (obviously if you have footage, download that before deletion)
5) Move the .bin file onto the SD card, eject the card and put that back into the camera.
6) Once your batteries are charged, put one into your Inspire (make sure your props are off beforehand) and switch it on. Some people open up the DJI app and view the update progress from there, but I personally don't do that.
7) If done correctly, you'll hear 4 beeps indicating the update is in progress and 1 beep followed by 2 beeps when the update is done.
8) Switch off the battery.
9) Remove the SD card, put into your computer and check the LOG file (it's a text file). It should say something like 'Update Successful' etc. Once you've gotten to that stage, you're going to have to repeat the procedure (starting from no.5) for all the other batteries.

Let me know how it goes. If you're aircraft's firmware is up to date, the battery update itself shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

Good luck,
Hans

Whoops, correction; repeating the procedure - just eject the card from your computer and put that back into the drone. You can delete the log files but keep the .bin file on there. Swap out the batteries and power on...etc

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Hans,

So this is weird. I went through and tried to update all 8 batteries, and didn't get the "beeps". I checked the log file and it said something like, 8 times, "abort, aircraft has same or newer firmware."

However, I know for a fact that one or two times I got a warnig message on the controller that the battery needed updating.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Tom

Hans,

So this is weird. I went through and tried to update all 8 batteries, and didn't get the "beeps". I checked the log file and it said something like, 8 times, "abort, aircraft has same or newer firmware."

However, I know for a fact that one or two times I got a warnig message on the controller that the battery needed updating.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Tom

@Tom Sanderson ; Maybe try deleting the txt. file after each update. So start with a fresh format SD card just with the .bin file, try to update. If it's successful, take the SD card out and delete the .txt file and leave the .bin. Reinsert and try again? @turbodronepilot might have an idea of what to do.

Hey Hans!!
Not sure what the issue is..
Tom's flight times seem good..
I get about 12.5 minutes with a tb48 on a ldf that's landing at 8%..that was with some wind and full throttle. .
if you fly with the throttle wide open and or in windy conditions it will greatly reduce flight times..
when they say a battery will fly for 18 mins that is in a hover at low altitudes..
as far as the battery update warning ,when you get an abort when checking the update status it means it's good to go and has the current firmware. .
if you have seen an intermittent battery update required prompt I'm guessing its app glitch. .restart your tablet when you have miss prompts..
also a good pilot friend of mine suggests to fully charge any battery that has started the auto discharge as he believes flying with a battery with less than 100% can cause the battery to malfuntion and result in a unwanted auto land ..
I've adopted the editors battery charging procedures by letting the batteries cool and charging the batteries to 50 % or 3.86v per cell if I'm not going to be using them ..
turb...

Reactions: JRenner
It also really depends on wind conditions, an inspire flying in no wind will give considerably greater flight times than on flying the same path in 25mph winds fighting to keep stable,
Also depends on altitude. It takes a lot out of the battery if you launch vertically rather than on a gradual climb.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop