Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Long exposure downtown Los Angeles 4 seconds

Thanks Tom! Of course I'll share:
I did this using the litchi app with these steps:
1. In excel I made 90 gps waypoints separated by exactly 2.5 meters (the app requires a minimum of 2 meters between waypoints)
2. Then to each waypoint I added a 1 second wait to stabilize, then a 2nd action to take picture and a 3rd action to hold for another second just in case to prevent shaking.
3. Then batch color corrected the dng raw pics in Photoshop, export them to Jpeg and imported them to fcpx.
4. Then in fcpx I combined the pics into a 24fps timeline, and used lock and load to stabilize ( which btw needed lots of stabilizing and rolling shutter correction, even now I'm not extremely happy with it)
Let me know if that makes sense

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed reply, Paul!! When you say you added a 2nd and 3rd action, I assume that you mean in Litchi? the program has that functionality? Thanks!

Thanks Tom! Of course I'll share:
I did this using the litchi app with these steps:
1. In excel I made 90 gps waypoints separated by exactly 2.5 meters (the app requires a minimum of 2 meters between waypoints)
2. Then to each waypoint I added a 1 second wait to stabilize, then a 2nd action to take picture and a 3rd action to hold for another second just in case to prevent shaking.
3. Then batch color corrected the dng raw pics in Photoshop, export them to Joey and imported them to fcpx.
4. Then in fcpx I combined the pics into a 24fps timeline, and used lock and load to stabilize ( which btw needed lots of stabilizing and rolling shutter correction, even now I'm not extremely happy with it)
Let me know if that makes sense

How long did it take for you to do steps 3 and 4?

So Paul, if I may take a guess - I'd have to say that for the sunrise to sunset video, you flew a waypoint mission for the sunrise portion, and saved it. Then you flew the saved mission again for the sunset portion. Even so, I'm thinking it must have been a heck of a lot of working lining it up in FCPX, right??

I shoot this with 85 pictures of 1.6 second exposure. Let me know what you think! The whole timelapse is 4 seconds!
I won't comment on the legality or safety aspect - will leave that to others but well done on the long exposure shots.
Extending this skill you can move to hyperlapse.
For those who haven't experienced what that is.......

I shoot this with 85 pictures of 1.6 second exposure. Let me know what you think! The whole timelapse is 4 seconds!
Sure at least one City of Los Angeles UAV ordinance was broken in this flight. LAPD has a large helipad just north of downtown off the 101 at the 10 interchange. Hospital helipads south of this location.

Great shot, and thanks for the workflow behind the capture. Too bad we can't get through this without the drone police being involved.

Reactions: ChadAustin
Great shot, and thanks for the workflow behind the capture. Too bad we can't get through this without the drone police being involved.
No drone police...but encouraging the under informed to recreate these shots can lead to trouble especially at night. LAPD is taking this quite seriously as UAV pilots now have the balls to fly near their helicopters.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jammartin