Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Mars 58 (parachute) on Inspire 1

Reaction score
Hi everyone, greetings from Chile!

Any experience in installing a Mars 58 parachute system on the Inspire 1? This is the system:

http://www.marsparachutes.com/mars-58/

A couple of weeks ago, legislation here in my country got passed which requires all quadcopters up to 6 Kg (about 13 lbs) to be registered and to comply with having a parachute system. This only applies to quadcopters you intend to fly in public places (you can do whatever within your own property). There are other items in the legislation, which I can comment on later as we go through the process ourselves (pilots have to get licensed, etc. etc..).

In order to comply with this legislation, we purchase a Mars 58 parachute system and are attempting to install it on the Inspire 1. Mars said back in February that they were developing a mount for the Inspire but they do not seem to be answering inquires about it since then. We searched other systems (the pricey French system, Skycat, etc.). Someone adapted the Skycat X55-CF to the Inspire as can be seen in the first image on the link below, however that looks just too bulky to me...

http://www.skycat.pro/faq/

Experiences with the Mars 58? Ideas, thoughts?

Inspired Senses

Hi everyone, greetings from Chile!

Any experience in installing a Mars 58 parachute system on the Inspire 1? This is the system:

http://www.marsparachutes.com/mars-58/

A couple of weeks ago, legislation here in my country got passed which requires all quadcopters up to 6 Kg (about 13 lbs) to be registered and to comply with having a parachute system. This only applies to quadcopters you intend to fly in public places (you can do whatever within your own property). There are other items in the legislation, which I can comment on later as we go through the process ourselves (pilots have to get licensed, etc. etc..).

In order to comply with this legislation, we purchase a Mars 58 parachute system and are attempting to install it on the Inspire 1. Mars said back in February that they were developing a mount for the Inspire but they do not seem to be answering inquires about it since then. We searched other systems (the pricey French system, Skycat, etc.). Someone adapted the Skycat X55-CF to the Inspire as can be seen in the first image on the link below, however that looks just too bulky to me...

http://www.skycat.pro/faq/

Experiences with the Mars 58? Ideas, thoughts?

Inspired Senses
Hi jbianchi !!
Welcome!!
Great post!!
I love it when pilots post stuff like this!! Thank you!!
Very cleaver!!
Turbo....

@damoncooper
They are almost done with their barometer actuated servo. When UAV falls faster than 10ft/sec, chute deploys. Weight? Not sure, I can ask them. I know they use the lightest parachute material and Kevlar string possible. All made in the U.S. (Manufacturing and assembly)
The owners are your typical engineer personality types. They hate talking about themselves - especially self promoting their products. Yet. They are amongst the most mild mannered, humble people I have ever met working in the UAV industry. Refreshing really.

Ha! I told them to try it on a brick that weighs as much as my I1 first.
Once they are ready, I am sure they'll YouTube it.
Last I spoke to them, they were packing their smaller chutes for the phantom.

If it's an easy install and straight forward I'll be the test dummy on this one is there a kit just for the inspire is it easily removable for travel or won't it interfere with our cases does it hook up to the ESC or hardwired in. I have not looked into it can anyone answer theses Q.

Reactions: sirnikolas
Thank You Turbo for the nice welcome!

Qbizzy, great to know that Mars has progressed this far, the position they chose for the parachute is exactly where we were planning to place it. So, they should release the mount soon huh? Some additional info and some considerations:

+ Mars 58 weight: 280 grams
+ Mount for Inspire 1 weight: N/A
+ Activation system: N/A (having it activate with a barometer is just great!! I hope that comes with the mount Mars is developing)

Considerations:
1.- what part of the a Inspire would hit the ground first? Landing mode? Flying mode? How to protect the gimbal?
2.- If the Inspire has a battery failure, the system should have its own battery so that it can still be deployed...
3.- it just makes tons of sense to me that any serious legislation for UAVs would require having working parachutes on the flying machines for when flying over public space... The legislation here in Chile makes sense to me. I bet there will be an interesting - and growing - market for parachutes in the not so distant future.

Best,
JB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone have an update on this? Mounting rig availability? I just called mars and went to a voicemail. Hopefully I will hear back and post what I find out.

I'm definitely interested in this product... if anyone from MARS is on the site, hopefully they'll reach out to us and keep us up to date. Based on the mounting position I can only think that it will come down nose first..

I spoke with someone at Mars parachute he was extremely nice and helpful. His name is James. Idk if he wants me to give details or not (he didn't say but I would imagine any help to sell his product would be helpful)..... He said in the next couple weeks they are going to release a mount for the DJI Inspire 1 using the Mars 58 chute. He also said with the new mars 58 there is a guidline that attaches to the frame of the inspire so the stress is on the frame, not the mount where the chute is pictured above in this topic on the back on the inspire. He said it also allows it to drop down on it's side and not straight down on the camera.

Reactions: sirnikolas
Personnally, I don't like those Mars parachutes, it looks great at first sight, but I know there's a problem of sticky parachute?? Anyone heard of that? because I don't want to spend so much money for something that don't deploy correctly. And I think for that price, you can find something more reliable than this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry