Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Matrice 600 vs Inspire 1 Pro/Raw Industrial Use

Reaction score
I recently got asked about doing inspections of light posts near highway interchanges for an engineering company. They want to start using drones instead of cherry pickers to do inspections. Currently I have a P3 but looking to upgrade as this is a fairly large contract and has potential for doing more work (bridges, highway, contrsuction, etc.). Do you think an Inspire 1 Pro/Raw will be sufficient or should I really look into getting the Matrice 600? Especially over highways the wind is going to be stronger than normal so that's definitely something to take into account but I haven't read any definitive info on what kind of winds both these birds can withstand while still flying safe. Also, I've read a bit about this D-RTK upgrade for the M600 that withstand magnetic interference (which would be good for bridges)...anyone have more info on this? Really just trying to get any information that you think will help with this. Thanks!!

I recently got asked about doing inspections of light posts near highway interchanges for an engineering company. They want to start using drones instead of cherry pickers to do inspections. Currently I have a P3 but looking to upgrade as this is a fairly large contract and has potential for doing more work (bridges, highway, contrsuction, etc.). Do you think an Inspire 1 Pro/Raw will be sufficient or should I really look into getting the Matrice 600? Especially over highways the wind is going to be stronger than normal so that's definitely something to take into account but I haven't read any definitive info on what kind of winds both these birds can withstand while still flying safe. Also, I've read a bit about this D-RTK upgrade for the M600 that withstand magnetic interference (which would be good for bridges)...anyone have more info on this? Really just trying to get any information that you think will help with this. Thanks!!
Wind resistance information all available on product spec pages.....
Matrice 600 Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads | DJI
Inspire 1 - Specs, FAQ, manual, video tutorials and DJI GO | DJI

Yeah I saw that...says the Inspire has a higher wind resistance than the M600 but trying to wrap my head around that. Wouldn't an aircraft with 6 rotors be more stable than 4? Or does that have to do with the size of the M600 taking up a larger footprint?

Think of your rotor diameter like a sail on a boat and the effect of wind on the total surface. About the easiest way to describe the issue.

Reactions: davehrot
Think of your rotor diameter like a sail on a boat and the effect of wind on the total surface. About the easiest way to describe the issue.

Okay that makes sense, thanks! So do you guys think it's worth it to get the Matrice 600? Seems to me that the big reason you would want to buy this is to put a third-party camera on there. I have no need for a cinema-grade camera, I think the X5 or X5R will do just fine, don't you think?

Something I just thought of though is if I get the M600 I can put a dSLR on there with a longer lens correct? So I wouldn't have to be as close to the structure to get video/photos? Is there a way to focus the SLR when it's in the air? Seems like @FlyHighUSA has the most experience here.

Something I just thought of though is if I get the M600 I can put a dSLR on there with a longer lens correct? So I wouldn't have to be as close to the structure to get video/photos? Is there a way to focus the SLR when it's in the air? Seems like @FlyHighUSA has the most experience here.

DJI Focus
To be honest with you - the way you are talking and what you are intending to do, I believe you need to do a little more research.
It is not as easy as "I will get an M600 and go and do bridge inspections"
There is a lot more involved than that both from a safety aspect as well as insurance/liability side of things.
There is also the consideration that no DJI product allows you to mount the gimbal upside down to unable the camera to look up. When inspecting bridges this is a huge advantage.
A FreeFly Alta 8 with Skyview option will give you this sort of flexibility.

I agree with The Editor.

You need to do a lot more research on what you are getting into and what tool you really need.

I've been looking around for quite a while now, there's not too much out there on industrial uses. I've already looked into insurance and have spoke with someone about that. I came here to seek some advice and real-life experience from people who have it...after all, isn't that the whole point of forums? The next thing I'm going to try is to speak to someone at DJI but I'm sure they can be bias so I wanted to get someone's personal input. It's a relatively new market and there's relatively few case studies done. Specs are one things but real life experience is completely different.

Reactions: Jem
I don´t know the size off the contract is, but I will definitely go with the Matrice 600 for that kind of jobs.

I have (two) Phantom 4, Inspire pro and Matrice 600, and even though it says other wise in the manuel the matrice 600 is by far the most wind resistance og the 3 craft. 2 days ago i was to a redundancy flight test (something we use in Denmark to be get permission to fly over people) with the matrice 600. The wind was around 8 m/s with wind gust up to 12-13 m/s and the Matrice was by far the most stabile platform to fly with.

Another thing the matrice offers is the redundancy on both props,motor and ESC and tripple redundancy on battery. You can even upgrade and get tripple redundancy on GPS and flight controller, or if your er going to work place with heavy magnetic interference you can upgrade to D-RTK GNSS ( but it will be quit expensive)

in the moment if I was you I will go with the X5 pro and not the X5 R, because it is only with video the X5 R is better and for inspections i don´t think you will be using the extra high bitrate the X5 r offer. Then I will go with either Olympus 45 mm or the 12 - 40 mm zoom lenses. When DJI get the Ronin MX and camera control to work better I will consider that option.

It will be a better setup that an Inspire but it will also be a more expensive setup and it is just more work get in the air, change battery, charge battery (3 sets and your are looking at 18 batteries that have to be charge and so on)

I love my inspire. I have been flying it for 16 month and it is a nimble craft that get the job done. But if it is inspections work, with power lines,bridges, highway, ect. I will every day of the week prefer to fly the Matrice 600.

I don´t know the size off the contract is, but I will definitely go with the Matrice 600 for that kind of jobs.

I have (two) Phantom 4, Inspire pro and Matrice 600, and even though it says other wise in the manuel the matrice 600 is by far the most wind resistance og the 3 craft. 2 days ago i was to a redundancy flight test (something we use in Denmark to be get permission to fly over people) with the matrice 600. The wind was around 8 m/s with wind gust up to 12-13 m/s and the Matrice was by far the most stabile platform to fly with.

Another thing the matrice offers is the redundancy on both props,motor and ESC and tripple redundancy on battery. You can even upgrade and get tripple redundancy on GPS and flight controller, or if your er going to work place with heavy magnetic interference you can upgrade to D-RTK GNSS ( but it will be quit expensive)

in the moment if I was you I will go with the X5 pro and not the X5 R, because it is only with video the X5 R is better and for inspections i don´t think you will be using the extra high bitrate the X5 r offer. Then I will go with either Olympus 45 mm or the 12 - 40 mm zoom lenses. When DJI get the Ronin MX and camera control to work better I will consider that option.

It will be a better setup that an Inspire but it will also be a more expensive setup and it is just more work get in the air, change battery, charge battery (3 sets and your are looking at 18 batteries that have to be charge and so on)

I love my inspire. I have been flying it for 16 month and it is a nimble craft that get the job done. But if it is inspections work, with power lines,bridges, highway, ect. I will every day of the week prefer to fly the Matrice 600.

This was just the kind of information I was looking for, thanks!! I wonder how DJI comes up with that wind resistance spec...I've read other place that it is more stable than the Inspire but according to the specs it's not. Another question for you...how do you go about managing batteries when shooting? If I want to fly 6-8 times a day should be getting 8 sets of batteries or is there an easy way to charge all 6 batteries? From what I've read, the DJI charging hub only charges one battery at a time meaning it would take over 4 hour to charge 4 batteries (taking into consideration cool-down time and then charge time). I've read a bit about the SmartPower Charging Station which would charge all at the same time even 2 of those you'd still need 4-6 sets of batteries.

I think DJI may have measured with the Ronin MX with camera, and if so you will get more wind resistance. But with X3, X5 ore X5R it is a much more stabel platform to fly that a phantom or Inspire.

It is a bit of a pain with many batteries. I have a smartpower charger and it is very good. I use it for my Inspire, but it will also take Matrice 600 batteries. One thing I find a bit disappointing with the Matrice 600 is that DJI have 2 hubs include (fine) but only the 100 w charger. At least the could have give us the 180 w charger. Even with the 180 w charger is the smartpower charger more than twice as fast. With two smartpower charger, you can charge a set of batteries around 2 hours.

But I think it will be a good idea to take a small brake between flying. If you concentrate for let say 30 - 40 minuts flight it will be nice to take 20 minuts brake before next flight.

I have only one extra set of TB47S batteries yet, because I will wait and try TB48S when the get available.

But yes it will be a logistical nightmare to charge and fly continuously. And you get also pretty fast at lot of weight to carry around. One set of TB47S is around 6 pound.

While I like the M600 it's really nothing more than a S800 that's been modified. My biggest issue is the batteries. There are many jobs I do where I need to be able to fly at least 3-6 sorties of ~20 minutes each. My big S1000+ and 3 batteries have more flight flexibility than the M600. Hauling around 18-24 batteries (not to mention the cost!), charging equipment and a generator is just dumber than a box of left-handed hammers.

Reactions: b2photollc
While I like the M600 it's really nothing more than a S800 that's been modified.
I totally disagree. M600 is a much bigger platform, with all new A3 system and the possibilities for expanding it.

I do agree that the batteries can be a pain, but you also get some benefits. You get triple redundancy, and you can travel with plains if you use TB47S.
You also has the advantage of a intelligent battery compared to "dumb" normal lipo batteries.

Reactions: b2photollc
You also has the advantage of a intelligent battery compared to "dumb" normal lipo batteries.

That's a big fat DISADVANTAGE as has been proved many times with firmware problems, discharge and hibernation issues. Sudden voltage drop anomalies, price fixing, poor quality cells, bad manufacturing quality control.......I could go on.
All telemetry data available on the Inspire/M600 is available using standard or HV Lipos with the right equipment on other platforms for a fraction of the cost.
Proprietary batteries are a huge step backwards.

Whilst triple redundancy and the A3 is a leap forward - the M600 still cannot 'look up' like an Alta 8 with Skyview can, nor is it in the same league build quality as the FreeFly products.

Ralph from Fly high USA will be able to help you more than anyone. Im going to buy the M600. Ill use the X5 with 14-42 zoom lens at first and buy the Ronin mX later. The flight times will be better.

Reactions: Black Sky
I ordered my Matrice 600 from Ralph yesterday. He is easy to get in touch with and very knowledgeable. He will be able to help you out for sure.

That's a big fat DISADVANTAGE as has been proved many times with firmware problems, discharge and hibernation issues. Sudden voltage drop anomalies, price fixing, poor quality cells, bad manufacturing quality control.......I could go on

Well what has been "proved many times" is with the Inspire platform that has been around for 18 month. Nobody has that experience with the Matrice 600, and for most cases it will not be as big a problem with battery that does not work, when you have tripple redundancy.

the M600 still cannot 'look up' like an Alta 8 with Skyview can, nor is it in the same league build quality as the FreeFly products.

I agree the Alta 6 og 8 is really nice product but, it is nearly 3 time as expensive as the Matrice 600 !!!

A matrice 600 with the Ronin MX cost around 6,000 US$. The ALTA 6 with MoVI M5 gimbal and aero landing gear cost around 14,500 US$ and you don´t get radio control battery ore charger and no video feed.

Let say you will like to have 6 extra set of batteris for the craft and they are approximately 800$ . Then you are looking at 4,800 $ investment. You would like to charge fast, and you buy 3 x smartpowerchager = 1,500 $ and you will be abel to charge 2 sets in 2 hours.

Your are going to work on serious movie produktion. Redundancy is very nice to have. You by an backup Matrice 600 - then your are looking at total cost of 16,800 US$
(6,000 + 4,800 + 1,500 + 4,500) Not much more than ALTA 6 when ready to fly.

With that setup you will be abel to fly through the day with 8 set of batterys. (2 set is include in the 2 matrice 600) You will be abel to live stream high quality 1080p video. You will hav digital video stream with long range, compered to 5,8 GHz analog. You will have al the possibility that the DJI Go app offer.

I think most videoographer will do a simpel cost/benefit analysis and then the matrice 600 is absolutely not a bad choice.

Well what has been "proved many times" is with the Inspire platform that has been around for 18 month. Nobody has that experience with the Matrice 600, and for most cases it will not be as big a problem with battery that does not work, when you have tripple redundancy.

I agree the Alta 6 og 8 is really nice product but, it is nearly 3 time as expensive as the Matrice 600 !!!

A matrice 600 with the Ronin MX cost around 6,000 US$. The ALTA 6 with MoVI M5 gimbal and aero landing gear cost around 14,500 US$ and you don´t get radio control battery ore charger and no video feed.

Let say you will like to have 6 extra set of batteris for the craft and they are approximately 800$ . Then you are looking at 4,800 $ investment. You would like to charge fast, and you buy 3 x smartpowerchager = 1,500 $ and you will be abel to charge 2 sets in 2 hours.

Your are going to work on serious movie produktion. Redundancy is very nice to have. You by an backup Matrice 600 - then your are looking at total cost of 16,800 US$
(6,000 + 4,800 + 1,500 + 4,500) Not much more than ALTA 6 when ready to fly.

With that setup you will be abel to fly through the day with 8 set of batterys. (2 set is include in the 2 matrice 600) You will be abel to live stream high quality 1080p video. You will hav digital video stream with long range, compered to 5,8 GHz analog. You will have al the possibility that the DJI Go app offer.

I think most videoographer will do a simpel cost/benefit analysis and then the matrice 600 is absolutely not a bad choice.
I don't think there is an argument about the M600 being a bad option but, more that it's not a game changer. Using your same math you could get a small fleet of Inspire 1 x5r into the air with many batteries. The M600 will be popular with the traveling pros who know that the TB47s is the biggest LIPO they can carry on most if not all international flights. I do wonder what happens when they show up at the airport with 24 of them...

Also, let's not forget the M600 flies on the GO app and with all the experience we have with that and the Phantom 3 - Inspire 1 we can be extra confident we won't have fly aways, random bugs, or anything that would cause one to loose a hugely expensive system (sarcasm).

Bottom line, right now, today, the M600 isn't a game changer. I can put my S1000 with 5DM3 in the air and do almost everything the M600 can do and for far less. More importantly, I can put my Inspire into the air and do the same for even a smaller fraction of the costs and logistical hassles of either of those two. Take a good long look at the S-series and the M600 and you can see that there really isn't "HUGE" differences between the two. Except if your DJI. Then, you are trapped into proprietary batteries and the DJI GO app and you keep that customer coming back to the proverbial well... Also, think about managing appropriate LIPO maintenance for 24 batteries. Simple right?

I don't think there is an argument about the M600 being a bad option but, more that it's not a game changer. Using your same math you could get a small fleet of Inspire 1 x5r into the air with many batteries.

What is the definition of "a game changer" ? To compare with a bunch of Inspire 5XR makes no sense. You don't get the fly time, you don't get the redundancy, you don't get the lifting power to lift bigger cameras.

Bottom line, right now, today, the M600 isn't a game changer. I can put my S1000 with 5DM3 in the air and do almost everything the M600 can do and for far less.

Can you ? How much pay load can you get off the ground with 15 min of flight time ? Can you carry a RED ? Du you have tripple redundancy on the battery ? Can you mount X3, X5 ore XT ? Do you have the possibility to stream 2 video signal? and I could go on!!!

of course you can buy A3 and upgrade your S1000, and get som of the benefits but you will never be able to carry 6 kg payload or get 40 min of flight time.

Game changer must dependt on witch game you going to enter.

Reactions: TheDJIFanboy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips