Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Mavic Air or Mavic Pro as Inspire complement?

So I was thinking of getting a small drone to complement my I2, both as a backup and as an alternative for easy flying. I'm leaning towards the Pro because I read it has better telemetry. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
And what would you be using it for? If hobby, not sure it makes much difference other than price and what you want to look at in the air.

And what would you be using it for? If hobby, not sure it makes much difference other than price and what you want to look at in the air.
Well I'm Part 107 - so might be for business occasionally. Primarily looking for a bird for quick stuff - and maybe backup the I2 in extreme emergencies - I know the vid and pix won't be as good - but I'm thinking dual purpose.

I thought I read somewhere, also, that the telemetry data isn't as good on the Air. The camera definitely isn't as good as the Pro (fixed focus vs. focusable lens), and flying time is greatly reduced (30 vs 21 minutes). I also wasn't sure if you can use a little tablet with the Air, i.e. does the remote work with an iPad mini?

I think they sell an adapter that allows use of a tablet. While not as small as the Mavics I think a better investment in that price range would be a P4P. Casey Neistat just posted a review of the 3 side by side on his youtube channel. The differences in both video and photos are major. As cute as the Mavics are, as a business solution, they have noting to offer other than portability (IMO).

Id get the Mavic Pro or Plat over the Air. also you can fit a 8in tablet into the Mavic's remote either Samsung Tab S2 8in or Ipad Mini 4. I have the S2 in mine and fits just perfectly
mavic.jpg

Nice! You have two pads - one for each bird?
yes i remove everything not needed and only run the required GO app. each of my drones has its own dedicated tablet which stays in its' own case. helps also for when i wanna go out flying, don't need to remember to grab the tablet, as each case has one

I'd rather get the Pro or Platinum over the air, although looks like the Air got some pretty cool features and hoping the pro/platinum will get the same feature with some upgraded FW.

Currently – I own an I2 (X5/X7) and the phantom pro 4. I am selling my phantom (DM me to check it out on eBay if you like).

I am going to the Air and getting some goggles. The reason it was I wanted to get a portable drone to carry with me. And for fun. What’s the best Drone to have? The one I have with me!

I believe the sensor on the Air and Mavic is the same – or at least it’s the same size. I think the lens is what is different – and I rather like that it seems like it’s a wider angle lens than the Mavic pro. I am not sure about this always sharp focus but it seems to make sense especially when I heard that you always had a double check to make sure that the mavic was in focus where it could trick you thinking it was Sharp.

Also I think the compression rate will be a big factor in the color grading as the Air will have less compression at 100 Mb per second versus 60 Mb per second. I also am a little bit sad that it does not have the occusync – so the wider range/stronger signal but I think I can get over that. I think it’s going to have plenty of Range.

Let’s see – it’s supposed to be faster and have more sensors especially helping when flying backwards. Also for the technology and maybe it’ll go to other drones in line up where instead of stopping when it sees an obstacle it will go around it – I’m excited to try this with guards on of course.

I’ve yet to receive mine but I’m excited about the Air.

Depends on the use you want to put it to I think. To complement an I2, I might be tempted with the air as it's a lot smaller for run n gun stuff, and also probably easier for use indoors or in tight spaces. Even though I love my I2, it's not an ideal solution for quick stuff, or for tight spaces.. it likes to have space to perform. The air, on the other hand looks like it'd excel in tight spaces like under trees or indoors. For those environments I'd also guess a lot will depend on how the sensor reacts to and handles low light... but it should stand a good chance with better headroom with the 100mbs compression.

The lower range wouldn't bother me too much as, being smaller, I'd not be looking to fly it so far or so high. Flight time... would be nice to be longer, but if it makes the 20'odd minutes stated then it's not so dissimilar to the I2. I'd expect more like 15-18mins tho' given DJI's ability to overstate flight times :(

Depends on the use you want to put it to I think. To complement an I2, I might be tempted with the air as it's a lot smaller for run n gun stuff, and also probably easier for use indoors or in tight spaces. Even though I love my I2, it's not an ideal solution for quick stuff, or for tight spaces.. it likes to have space to perform. The air, on the other hand looks like it'd excel in tight spaces like under trees or indoors. For those environments I'd also guess a lot will depend on how the sensor reacts to and handles low light... but it should stand a good chance with better headroom with the 100mbs compression.

The lower range wouldn't bother me too much as, being smaller, I'd not be looking to fly it so far or so high. Flight time... would be nice to be longer, but if it makes the 20'odd minutes stated then it's not so dissimilar to the I2. I'd expect more like 15-18mins tho' given DJI's ability to overstate flight times :(

I agre NickU, I have an I2 and have used a smaller bird for paying jobs that required many locations to be covered in a couple of hours where all that was needed were oblique images of various rural road intersections. Setting up and taking down the I2 would have taken too long. The smaller bird won't do topographic mapping though but does take images in dng(raw) allowing post production quality photographs. I believe the Air can shoot in dng(raw) as well but I'm not sure about geotagging and autonomous flight for. Mapping etc.

Reactions: NickU
Think it'd be more of a drone to fly manually for quick ad-hoc shooting than for using with automation for mapping. For places you want to be a touch more discrete ;).... Take off from the hand, fly in quickly, shoot quickly, land on your hand, then disappear...
with the loud buzzing of swarm of bees

Reactions: NickU

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tycet