Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

More Inspires saving lives.

So Garret got back to me and said he's just using a $200 Seek Thermal camera that attaches to an iPhone (he says it works best with iPhone). He hits record, sends it up, records a target area, lands, unstraps it, and views the recorded footage on the phone app.

Details here: http://www.thermal.com/thermal-cameras/

The new XR ($300) actually has decent range:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432480778.179621.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a possible solution worth trying that might get a live thermal feed: use the Shou app to broadcast live over GSM from the flying phone.

It works with the DJI Pilot app and I'd venture to guess it will work with the Seek Thermal app as well.

I'm thinking mount it and the 5.8Ghz Tx on the same bracket as I'll use for the searchlight: I'd like it to be removable in my case, so battery leads will tuck away when I have it off

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432765530.011976.jpg

I would think that the angle of the go pro mounts will make the dual lock less effective.... it looks like if you push on the back of the torch, the dual lock will release.....

I like the look of it with the light mounted directly on the back.

I would think that the angle of the go pro mounts will make the dual lock less effective.... it looks like if you push on the back of the torch, the dual lock will release.....

I like the look of it with the light mounted directly on the back.

It's actually incredibly strong. The huge contact surface of 3M Dual Lock actually makes it a bit difficult to take off. It takes two-handed force at an angle to get it to let go.

Last edited:
I have had helmets that had the paint ripped right off with that GoPro mount tape. Strong stuff. Not going anywhere.

does the light get hot? Just trying to think through ways that this could fail... It seems to be a very good solution......

A nice side benefit of the solution is that the light angle is adjustable due to the GoPro mounts and the solution breaks down nicely so you can mount other stuff to the 3M rear panel or just mount the searchlight straight down if you like.

I went one extra step and added more 3M to the rear of the searchlight so I could attach my rear strobe as well for maximum night visibility.

I actually used this 3M stuff:

3M Dual Lock Reclosable Fastener SJ3560 250 Clear, 2 in x 6 Ft
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PX22H42

And mounts from this kit:

Go Pro Accessory Kit Ultimate Combo Kit 33
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JBT6F3W

Basically the setup instructions are to GoPro mount are:

1) Use 2 sticky GoPro mounts, a basic one and a curved arm one. Peel off the tape to expose the sticky glue on them both and cover completely with a piece of 3M Dual Lock (sticky side of 3M Dual Lock to GoPro mount sticky side). Use scissors to shape the 3M to shape of mount.

2) Attach the basic (non-curved arm) GoPro camera connector to the curved-arm sticky mount with the GoPro screw. You can remove the black plastic screw head as its bulky and use a screwdriver to tighten.

3) Apply a sized and shaped 3M piece to the rear of the aircraft and the gun barrel mount. Ensure its well bonded to both by applying pressure and then mount to the aircraft.

4) Attach the light with gun barrel rail mount and 3M to the curved GoPro mount, and then attach the other GoPro mount to the 3M on the rear of the aircraft. Be sure to press hard until it "locks".

Hope that helps someone to help save someone.

The light gets very hot. But the hot surfaces aren't in contact with anything but air which is nice.

Thats lucky, otherwise the glue on the tape might get hot and lose grip.

Im seriously thinking about doing something similar, except for the obvious flaw, being that night flights arent allowed.....
but it might be good for dusk.

Im seriously thinking about doing something similar, except for the obvious flaw, being that night flights arent allowed.....

In a life and death emergency in your town / county you could help save lives. For me that's worth having a solution ready to go. There are also groups that take volunteers with specialized drone gear and will bring you in to help in SAR if you can help.

Nice way to give back to the community like Garret did in the news piece above.

Reactions: Gary Bateman

Another data tidbit: the 3M Dual Lock SJ3560 is crazy stuff. Full PDF data sheet on the stuff here (holds 2.2lbs per square inch for up to 10,000 minutes at 220F, and lots of other interesting info):

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...-fasteners-sj3560-sj3561-sj3562-data-page.pdf

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide