Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

New Features & RAW X5, X3, GH4 Footage Side-by-Side - Inspire 1 Pro

Just watched it, looks like someone really should remove the "Pros" from their business name... or remove the video if they don't want to ruin it.

They definitely screwed something up badly whether during shooting or processing/editing, this mush looks worse than an old cheap 720p camera. And judging by other posted samples it's definitely not the camera.

The video presentation is well done, but if you can't get the main focus (pun intended) right it's just a useless empty shell.

Reactions: MichaelS and Figbar
well it seems that i spent way too much for a camera thats not any better than x3. dji blindly took my money on hyped up product. now ill have a heavy camerea with lower flight time and no better video quality. Thanks DJI
I world like to buy Your camera X5

After 12 flights with the X5, i have to say, the people that made that video didn't know what they were doing in regards to the X5 settings. I've been able to get really great footage from the X5, nothing close to the fuzzy garbage shown in this video. Focus can be a bit tricky to learn, but once you know how it behaves it's crucial to getting a nice shot. And of course like any camera, using Aperture, ISO, Shutter speed correctly in the air can make or break a shot. I use it in manual mode and adjust the settings right before I record a clip. (since lighting changes with landscapes can change quickly) I too was saying to myself "oh no, what did i do in buying the X5!" after watching this and some other similar video which made the X3 look way better, but after actually using the X5, I gotta say it's really really good, albeit you have to know the basics of how to use manual settings on a camera (like any professional camera) and get the hang of how the focus works which can take a few flights to understand properly.

Just watched it, looks like someone really should remove the "Pros" from their business name... or remove the video if they don't want to ruin it.

They definitely screwed something up badly whether during shooting or processing/editing, this mush looks worse than an old cheap 720p camera. And judging by other posted samples it's definitely not the camera.

The video presentation is well done, but if you can't get the main focus (pun intended) right it's just a useless empty shell.
After 12 flights with the X5, i have to say, the people that made that video didn't know what they were doing in regards to the X5 settings. I've been able to get really great footage from the X5, nothing close to the fuzzy garbage shown in this video. Focus can be a bit tricky to learn, but once you know how it behaves it's crucial to getting a nice shot. And of course like any camera, using Aperture, ISO, Shutter speed correctly in the air can make or break a shot. I use it in manual mode and adjust the settings right before I record a clip. (since lighting changes with landscapes can change quickly) I too was saying to myself "oh no, what did i do in buying the X5!" after watching this and some other similar video which made the X3 look way better, but after actually using the X5, I gotta say it's really really good, albeit you have to know the basics of how to use manual settings on a camera (like any professional camera) and get the hang of how the focus works which can take a few flights to understand properly.

Thanks for your input...what advice can you give about how you deal with focus? I am very encouraged to hear of your results.

I'm no professional, just an avid amateur, but I've found to get great shots, I need to set focus, and all camera settings (Aperture,Shutter&ISO) before i start recording each clip. My first few flights were too soft (out of focus) and I was using auto mode (which is not that good at choosing settings.) These youtube videos that show the X5 under performing IMHO are done in auto mode, and aren't in focus. The X5 isn't like the X3 where you can just take it out in auto mode and go shoot. You have to pay attention to the settings and adjust for each and every clip. (Just like you would if you had a good quality MFT camera on the ground)

For focus, depending on the shot, either lock into infinity (with the virtual manual slider), auto focus on your main center piece or if doing a shot with close up things choose the distance you need and depending on your flight path you may need to do it mid path then back up and start the recording.

For camera settings, I don't see any other way to get good settings unless you use the histogram which you can enable in settings to get a much more accurate picture of what's happening and adjust accordingly. I don't have that good of an eye, especially in the field to judge correct settings. (i'm not going to get into what Aperture,Shutter &ISO do since that's common to all cameras and there are plenty of great online tutorials explaining what they do and how to use them) There is also a Zebra mode to show over-exposed areas, but i've found it to be a bit too sensitive, especially for aerial shots with sky and sun.

The X5 isn't a set it and forget it camera, and it's not a "go shoot in auto mode" camera either. It takes at least an amateur level knowledge of photography settings to use effectively and it DOES get really great footage.

Reactions: Figbar and MichaelS
I'm no professional, just an avid amateur, but I've found to get great shots, I need to set focus, and all camera settings (Aperture,Shutter&ISO) before i start recording each clip. My first few flights were too soft (out of focus) and I was using auto mode (which is not that good at choosing settings.) These youtube videos that show the X5 under performing IMHO are done in auto mode, and aren't in focus. The X5 isn't like the X3 where you can just take it out in auto mode and go shoot. You have to pay attention to the settings and adjust for each and every clip. (Just like you would if you had a good quality MFT camera on the ground)

For focus, depending on the shot, either lock into infinity (with the virtual manual slider), auto focus on your main center piece or if doing a shot with close up things choose the distance you need and depending on your flight path you may need to do it mid path then back up and start the recording.

For camera settings, I don't see any other way to get good settings unless you use the histogram which you can enable in settings to get a much more accurate picture of what's happening and adjust accordingly. I don't have that good of an eye, especially in the field to judge correct settings. (i'm not going to get into what Aperture,Shutter &ISO do since that's common to all cameras and there are plenty of great online tutorials explaining what they do and how to use them) There is also a Zebra mode to show over-exposed areas, but i've found it to be a bit too sensitive, especially for aerial shots with sky and sun.

The X5 isn't a set it and forget it camera, and it's not a "go shoot in auto mode" camera either. It takes at least an amateur level knowledge of photography settings to use effectively and it DOES get really great footage.

Thanks...this is the kind of information I've been hoping for. Some of the comparison videos that have been put out there by self-proclaimed professional aerial media experts are really bad and misleading.

This is exactly the way to do it. If you come from a photography background this is how you should be setting up your images/video. I've watched all the online videos from the so called "pros" saying how soft their video is and thats because they don't know how to use manual settings properly. Like you said this isn't a X3

Reactions: Figbar and MichaelS
Thanks for posting. I have seen spectacular X3 & X5 videos and then I saw this one. Great info in your posts.

Zenmuse X5 is not aimed mainly at "pro cinematographers". You cannot compare X5 with Red Epic, Arri Alexa or Blackmagic Ursa. But if there is a desire to become a pro and to improve your aerial photography / videography, well, Zenmuse X5 might be the right answer, in the right direction. That's actually the beauty & magic of rapid growing DJI community, most of the amazing footage available online was captured by people interfering for their very first time with an aerial platform. Inspire is a great tool if you're willing to take your creativity to the next level, simple as that :)

Please do not put a $4,000.00 Black Magic camera on the same page as a $50.000 Alexa. The Black Magic Ursa is a piece of junk and no professional goes within 100 yards of it.
It is not used on professional projects anywhere at least here in Canada.
The top cameras are the Sony F55,
F5, Alexa and perhaps the RED Epic but RED is dying very rapidly.
All the major films and TV shows are shot on the Alexa. The Ursa is for consumers only or wanna be pros.

All the major films and TV shows are shot on the Alexa......

That's strange - Didn't you say that nobody would be able to tell the difference even if it was shot on an Alexa?
They should have listened to you...they could have saved themselves thousands!

Even footage from an Alexxa will not look different on TV than if it was shot on a less expensive camera.

Reactions: drewid20 and Mani
Please do not put a $4,000.00 Black Magic camera on the same page as a $50.000 Alexa. The Black Magic Ursa is a piece of junk and no professional goes within 100 yards of it.
It is not used on professional projects anywhere at least here in Canada.
The top cameras are the Sony F55,
F5, Alexa and perhaps the RED Epic but RED is dying very rapidly.
All the major films and TV shows are shot on the Alexa. The Ursa is for consumers only or wanna be pros.

I rather not start a debate about the best camera in the world, there are many choices and different opinions.
Most people would love to have the cappabilities of Ursa added to the Inspire, even if you considere it's a piece of junk in comparrison with big players like ARRI or RED.
The reason of my post was quite simple & clear : Zenmuse x5 is more or less a MFT camera and it would be unfair to compare it with the cameras mentioned in my previous post, including Ursa.
P.s I have seen awesome cinematographic work made with Blackmagic products, and it looks like a company focused on creating useful tools for creative professionals.

My wife is getting bored of me when watching TV when I keep saying.."that's a drone shot"..."that's another one..."
Almost every documentary you watch on TV now seems to have a lot of drone footage. Some of it is frankly not very good.

A recent documentary shown here in the UK on the Celts had a clip where the horizon was off by about 25 degrees!
I noticed it but my Wife didn't.

My point is the "punter" watching doesn't give a toss about what camera it was filmed on or what the bitrate was.
As long as the footage looks acceptable they just don't notice.
Unless you are filming the next series of Game of Thrones I think what we have at our disposal now for the price is adequate for most situations.

That's not to say we shouldn't continue to ask for better but on the whole Iam happy with footage Iam getting on my X3.

Reactions: Mani
My wife is getting bored of me when watching TV when I keep saying.."that's a drone shot"..."that's another one..."
Almost every documentary you watch on TV now seems to have a lot of drone footage. Some of it is frankly not very good.

A recent documentary shown here in the UK on the Celts had a clip where the horizon was off by about 25 degrees!
I noticed it but my Wife didn't.

My point is the "punter" watching doesn't give a toss about what camera it was filmed on or what the bitrate was.
As long as the footage looks acceptable they just don't notice.
Unless you are filming the next series of Game of Thrones I think what we have at our disposal now for the price is adequate for most situations.

That's not to say we shouldn't continue to ask for better but on the whole Iam happy with footage Iam getting on my X3.
Hahaha - my wife now joins in and tries to shout "Drone shot" before I can! :p

Well said. As soon as the Blackmagic Micro camera gets a gimbal mount I'm jumping over.
Black magic is garbage! No reputable DOP will go near it.
Stay away from it. A $3,000.00 camera will not cut it for full size broadcast and cinema needs. You get what you pay for.

I know this is an old thread but though you might like to see the latest video I shot with the X5 (with Olympus Zuiko 12mm). This is the sharpest I have got from the X5 yet so I am finally happy with the camera and its performance. 1080p I am not sure about...not great quality but 4K is superb and of course, you can downsize to 1080p from 4K for superior HD quality anyway.

I know this is an old thread but though you might like to see the latest video I shot with the X5 (with Olympus Zuiko 12mm). This is the sharpest I have got from the X5 yet so I am finally happy with the camera and its performance. 1080p I am not sure about...not great quality but 4K is superb and of course, you can downsize to 1080p from 4K for superior HD quality anyway.

I think this footage looks great. With the X3, I noticed turf would always look terrible...blotchy, degrading with motion. This looks so much better. Images are crisp. I have had the same results with my X5 and the 15mm DJI lens...I wish I had the wider Olympus, but I have noticed a much better looking image...color, crispness, etc. You actually have to know how a camera functions to get the best out of the X5.

The scenics you are shooting are fabulous. Where are the fast-food restaurants?

Black magic is garbage! No reputable DOP will go near it.
Stay away from it. A $3,000.00 camera will not cut it for full size broadcast and cinema needs. You get what you pay for.
On the contrary, I know a number of very good DPs who shoot with Blackmagic cameras. A good DP shoots with the gear they are either given or determined by the budget. A number of very big Hollywood films such as the Marvel series have used the Pocket Cinema Camera for stunt shots and cramped spaces. Rodney Charters loves it because it's colourmitry is so close to the Alexa and they don't have to worry about only using short cuts with it unlike other micro cameras.

A reputable DP will use whatever gear is right for the job. I often have to use whatever camera is laid at my door. That could be anything from an FS7, a BMPCC, an Ursa, or an Alexa.

The million dollar Hollywood film industry and TV production is not a good gauge of what is a good camera or not. If you've got a budget running into hundreds of thousands or even millions, of course you will use an Alexa, or Red, or yes, 35mm film, which is still one of the most popular shooting formats in big film production.

Reactions: Figbar
On the contrary, I know a number of very good DPs who shoot with Blackmagic cameras. A good DP shoots with the gear they are either given or determined by the budget. A number of very big Hollywood films such as the Marvel series have used the Pocket Cinema Camera for stunt shots and cramped spaces. Rodney Charters loves it because it's colourmitry is so close to the Alexa and they don't have to worry about only using short cuts with it unlike other micro cameras.

A reputable DP will use whatever gear is right for the job. I often have to use whatever camera is laid at my door. That could be anything from an FS7, a BMPCC, an Ursa, or an Alexa.

The million dollar Hollywood film industry and TV production is not a good gauge of what is a good camera or not. If you've got a budget running into hundreds of thousands or even millions, of course you will use an Alexa, or Red, or yes, 35mm film, which is still one of the most popular shooting formats in big film production.

AMEN!

Reactions: SimonMW

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth