Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Not quite steady on takeoff...

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is a universal issue, yet I've noted that my inspire moves around quite a bit on takeoff in P-GPS, yet only for the first few minutes of flight. Once I've had her up for 2-3 minutes she becomes rock-solid stable in hover. I've seen similar behavior in other inspire raw videos, so I'm guessing I'm not alone. Is this a bug that I should expect to be fixed, or is there perhaps a way to warm up the Inspire to avoid this behavior?

I'm not sure if this is a universal issue, yet I've noted that my inspire moves around quite a bit on takeoff in P-GPS, yet only for the first few minutes of flight. Once I've had her up for 2-3 minutes she becomes rock-solid stable in hover. I've seen similar behavior in other inspire raw videos, so I'm guessing I'm not alone. Is this a bug that I should expect to be fixed, or is there perhaps a way to warm up the Inspire to avoid this behavior?
Same here. Didn't happen until after several flights. Don't know if sonethings mechanical or loose, or software related?

Enjoy life and be nice

I have also had some issues like this. Take offs just do not seem perfect.

Same here. Didn't happen until after several flights. Don't know if sonethings mechanical or loose, or software related?

Enjoy life and be nice

This has happened several times to me. It's a known issue discussed on other forums. It does usually settle down after a few minutes, but can be anxiety-producing. Suggestions include firing it up, and letting it sit for a few minutes. It does like to warm up. There is supposed to be a firmware fix coming. Today I read about one just shutting off and falling out of the sky. The pilot was experienced, and worked for an RC shop. Mine went into "critical" mode the other day on 39% battery, and landed hard. Issues keep mounting up. Hard to keep up with them.

Hi not sure if this is the same issue I am getting. Have tried talking to dji chat but they about as useful as a slap in face with a wet fish.
The issue I am experiencing is from P-gps mode and full gps signal and ready go fly indication I launch. Everything seems good up until I raise the legs. It hold position briefly (possibly drifting very slightly). The green tail light is blinking green and I start to rise or move. I then notice that the green tail light has changed to yellow and that the app reports "compass error during flight - switching to p-atti mode." I calibrate the compass every time I am in a new place, I even do it when changing batteries. I'm not the most experienced of pilots but have flown phantoms for over a year. The fault seems to disappear after a few minutes and then continues to fly perfectly. Dji chat support said that they have never heard of this before but I don't fully believe that story. As a bit of back ground I have experienced this within parks, by the beach, on the coast, in the hill and basically everywhere. I can honestly say that there were no large metal objects or large structures. Any help with this would be really appreciated as I am now starting to lose confidence flying this unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: crashburn
Hi not sure if this is the same issue I am getting. Have tried talking to dji chat but they about as useful as a slap in Thrace with a wet wish.
The issue I am experiencing is from P-gps mode and full gps signal and ready go fly indication I launch. Everything seems good up until I raise the legs. It hold position briefly (possibly drifting very slightly). The green tail light is blinking green and I start to rise or move. I then notice that the green tail light has changed to yellow and that the app reports "compass error during flight - switching to p-atti mode." I calibrate the compass every time I am in a new place, I even do it when changing batteries. I'm not the most experienced of pilots but have flown phantoms for over a year. The fault seems to disappear after a few minutes and then continues to fly perfectly. Dji chat support said that they have never heard of this before but I don't fully believe that story. As a bit of back ground I have experienced this within parks, by the beach, on the coast, in the hill and basically everywhere. I can honestly say that there were no large metal objects or large structures. Any help with this would be really appreciated as I am now starting to lose confidence flying this unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is a KNOWN issue by DJi and THEY ARE WORKING /HAVE a fix for this. Blade and Ed are currently testing firmware which addresses this very issue (usually associated, although not always, with a gimbal twitch)
The fix IS coming......

Took mine up for the first time today and it was rock solid in place, latest firmware. Just like the simulator which I thought might be a little overly steady. But it was just like the sim. 50 deg f w/ slight breeze.

On my first flight I was getting the fish bowl effect, when I put the copter i forward motion it started going more in a 30 degree off center direction. After about 30 seconds of this it locked up and everything has been fine since. My theory is the issue may be in the compass data doing some type of self correction off the GPS to magnetic compass deviation.

I have had this issue with my WKM after the 5.16 upgrade. At that time is was so bad I thought the unit was bad, eventually I learned if I off set the compass by doing small test with forward flights and seeing the direction the copter would fly, I could dial it in by simply turning the in the compass unit in the opposite direction of the drifting motion. In turn you are off setting the correction needed from the actual error being caused by the deviation.

If you look at my compass on my WKM copters you will notice them pointing about -15 degrees off straight forward, where I live the magnetic deviation is about -11.

Considering the Inspire does not allow you to offset that compass manually my thought is leaning towards the FC needs to confirm the correction and it can not do this until it gets some type of consistent GPS Data; Movement is needed to derive this data, once this happens it then is able to lock itself in.

Reactions: douglas.brownlie
On my first flight I was getting the fish bowl effect, when I put the copter i forward motion it started going more in a 30 degree off center direction. After about 30 seconds of this it locked up and everything has been fine since. My theory is the issue may be in the compass data doing some type of self correction off the GPS to magnetic compass deviation.

I have had this issue with my WKM after the 5.16 upgrade. At that time is was so bad I thought the unit was bad, eventually I learned if I off set the compass by doing small test with forward flights and seeing the direction the copter would fly, I could dial it in by simply turning the in the compass unit in the opposite direction of the drifting motion. In turn you are off setting the correction needed from the actual error being caused by the deviation.

If you look at my compass on my WKM copters you will notice them pointing about -15 degrees off straight forward, where I live the magnetic deviation is about -11.

Considering the Inspire does not allow you to offset that compass manually my thought is leaning towards the FC needs to confirm the correction and it can not do this until it gets some type of consistent GPS Data; Movement is needed to derive this data, once this happens it then is able to lock itself in.

I will certainly be giving this a try the next opportunity I get. Unfortunately just now we are getting hit by the tail end of cyclone Pam, not the best of weather to be flying in. Thank you for you thoughts on this. Much appreciated.

Last edited:
This drifting seems to be an inconsistent problem. After a good 50 flights with my Inspire 1 it's becoming a more consistent problem and perhaps even more so with the latest firmware upgrade. Sometimes it performs flawlessly so I can't pin it down but I have one crucial recommendation. Don't take your eye off it until it's high enough to clear obstacles even up to 20-30ft away. It always seems to go into a slight bank to the right, I correct a few times and then it holds position just fine and that's the end of the drifting issue. Unfortunately I learned the hard way and it had a gear up light crash landing on grass, but i unbelievably it took out the Gimbal and camera, both are dead, no response and not a mark on the camera or gimbal, bizarre. A bit of a disappointment compared to the few crashes I had with Phantoms over the last few years ( I have over 300 hours flying the Phantoms 1 and 2). You could simply re-mount gimbal and GoPro and all was functioning perfectly again. My guess is firmware issues and that there was too much pressure to ship the Inspire...So we early adopters basically get strapped with fixing bugs! This needs to perform more like a tank, like the Phantoms ability to recover and not fragile as an egg, a 3000.00 one at that!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry