Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Please stop flying in restricted airspace!!!!!!!

The AMA has been dealing with FPV for many years now and there are ways to do it safely. According to the AMA a pilot flying FPV must have a spotter with equal control over the aircraft in order to take over if the situation becomes unsafe or if the original pilot looses control.

... a pilot flying FPV must have a spotter with equal control over the aircraft in order to take over if the situation becomes unsafe or if the original pilot looses control.

Humm... How is this done with the Inspire? o_O

One can only image the spotter would have to have a baseball bat with which to bonk the pilot on the head in order to get the controller. :confused:

Last edited:
Reactions: The Editor
It's a mine field .... Reading through some of the study material .... I'm worried that it may just be more use to go and get my full PPL (private pilots lic) I'm worried that the regulators are going to make it so difficult to do that it's just not worth it.
But for me - I was really hoping to see some return on my inspire investment, I have access to film mining sites, they are out in the sticks - but I would need to go through all this procedure just to be able to take off and buzz around for a bit...... so more money (basically the same amount as an Inspire with one remote) ......
I also want to start manufacturing a special Sun Shield that I'm developing for the Inspire. I'm worried these new regulations will basically kill our local industry ......

Sounds very similar to the UK. I actually think it makes sense from a safety point of view to be able to keep line of sight on the UAV.

Reactions: AndyC
The question is. Are we looking at a gradual world wide ban on FPV?
I worry that the FPV community isn't really being represented in South Africa.

I think all one can do is get far away from people and other air traffic before attempting a propper FPV flight.

I think it is useful to address it as "beyond" VLOS rather than FPV as FPV can be used at any distance after take-off.
Very good point. I also see the guys referring to fpv kites. So FPV in the way I'm using it is a little misleading. I VLOS is better.

Meh, nonsense. All you need is a little common sense. Id fly and photograph the fires if I lived near there for sure. Its not hard to maintain visual and avoid any aircraft in the area. Only a complete moron would get in their way and even if you did the end result would be drone destroyed with around a 5% chance the aircraft pilot even knew he hit the drone. Its all BS media fearmongering blown out of proportion. The chances of a drone/aircraft collision doing anything to the aircraft is very small. It would have to be a small single engine plane and a large drone that hit the windscreen or maybe the prop and most likely it still wouldnt cause the plane to crash.

I have many pilot friends who fly small spray planes and they arent one bit worried about drones except for a windscreen strike. Theyve been hunting from aircraft and shot their own props and while its does do damage and throws them out of balance it doesnt cause them to crash. A small plastic drone isnt gonna do jack squat unless it is unfortunate enough to go through the windscreen and the chances of that are pretty slim as well unless its a large custom drone that hits in just the perfect spot. They hit ducks and other birds all the time which are more solid than a plastic drone and at worse they just crack the windscreen unless its a perfect hit.

Commercial airliners have multiple engines which are designed to ingest large birds and keep functioning so if you wanted to take one down with drones you would need multiple large custom drones and have to simultaneously hit every engine which is virtually impossible without having so many large drones that the pilot could easily see and avoid them.

Id even bet you couldnt get in the path of and hit an aircraft if you tried unless you were right next to the airport while it was taking off or landing, lol!

Dont play into the BS, its so bogus its funny. Use common sense and dont be a moron and theres no issue.

Your comments about drones hitting aircraft(especially low flying aircraft fighting fires) and not being much of a concern to pilots and crew shows your ignorance regarding anything that flies. By your statements you obviously have no experience in Aviation or any real knowledge of aircraft, yet you claim that there is no real concern for pilots to worry about drones in their airspace.

You haven't got a clue to the potential hazards and dangers a drone could cause to low flying aircraft fighting fires. I have been in Aviation for over 30 years and can tell you no pilot wants to hit anything, except maybe for your moron pilot friends as you claim, that don't mind taking bullets in the prop while hunting.
I certainly hope that these pilot friends of yours who don't mind taking bullets in the propeller and aren't concerned about hitting drones in flight, are piloting in the bath tub, because they certainly shouldn't be piloting real aircraft.

As little as you may think, drones do pose a serious risk to low flying aircraft fighting fires. The pilots flying this aircraft are already taking enough risk as it is flying these aircraft at maximum weight, low altitude, poor visability in and around massive smoke clouds.
A drone hit or impact could very easily lead to pieces of the drone being injested into the intakes of the engines (Usually Turbo Prop engines on fire fighting aircraft)then leading to a loss of power or engine flameout. At maximum weight low altitude and hot conditions, this is a bad situation.

My main point though is with helicopters which are used most of the time when fighting fires.
If a drone like the Inspire weighing six pounds hits the tail rotor of a helicopter it could very easily lead to the loss of the aircaft. Tail rotors spin much faster than the rotorhead and are precisely balanced therefore they cannot afford to have an impact of a drone.

So....if you happen to see low flying aircraft fighting fires in your area don't be a moron dude, stay the hell out of the skies!!! Get your aerial shots from the news station.
There is no doubt that regulations are coming forth because of people like you.

Have YOU ever ridden in small prop plane? You know, like the ones used by the Civil Air Patrol, state police, and every flight school in America which makes them very common? If a drone hits one of those in the windshield it will probably kill the pilot first then cause a crash. The people who repeatedly say quads can not hurt planes are so ill informed it makes us all look bad. They are not made to run through plastic and metal at any speed never mind cruising at over 100knots. Pilots always talk about the "big sky theory" and we understand there is a lot of space up there but for you to think of yourself and some silly pictures first in this situation is ignorant, dangerous, and down right illegal. Commercial airliner planes fly in Class A airspace above 17,999ft. If you encounter a plane with a quad it is much more likely to be a small plane that most certainly can NOT withstand the impact. I can tell you that I am currently flying a C152, pretty much as small as it gets, and people like you make it very scary for people like me.

My uncle owns a cessna, and ive flown it years ago when i was 10 years old. Didnt take off or land mind you, but flew it while in the air. Pretty much like driving a car except you can go up and down. The hardest part of flying is landing, haha!

If you read my comments i clearly stated that a prop or windscreen hit could be bad, true enough, my pilot friends concur those are the worst possible spots a small plane and quad copter could collide that are possible/likely to cause catastrophic damage to the small aircraft.

Dont get me wrong, im not condoning flying recklessly in the path of small or large aircraft by any means at all, im all for safe quad copter flying. Im just saying that safe flying above 400ft is easily possible under the right condition with a little common sense and all these media plane vs quad copter stories are nothing more than propaganda fear mongering BS.

The chances of a small aircraft/quad crash causing the aircraft to crash is so minuscule its laughable and a commercial jet vs a quad would result in the commercial aircraft most likely not even knowing it even hit the quad copter. Their engines are designed to ingest birds that are 5x the mass of a small plastic quad copter and if you think a phantom or inspire would even make a commercial jet engine even hiccup you are a ra-tard.

A larger custom hex or octo may possibly do some damage but commercial airlines have 2-3 engines, they can lose lose one and still fly/land safely. To make a commercial airliner crash with a quadcopter would definitely require multiple quads and uncanny precision flying to hit 2-3 engines simultaneously that the chances of it ever happening are slim to none. Unless you were flying right next to the airport while they were taking off or landing Id bet $1000 you couldnt get within 100 yards of a commercial airliner if you were trying your hardest to do so.

Use common sense when you fly and dont play into the BS media fear mongering hype about OMG a commercial airliner saw a quad 2 miles away so they had to emergency land, BS MO FO, complete retardation fear mongering propaganda is all that is. It would be like hitting a bug with your car, it might make a smear spot but its not gonna kill you.

Your comments about drones hitting aircraft(especially low flying aircraft fighting fires) and not being much of a concern to pilots and crew shows your ignorance regarding anything that flies. By your statements you obviously have no experience in Aviation or any real knowledge of aircraft, yet you claim that there is no real concern for pilots to worry about drones in their airspace.

You haven't got a clue to the potential hazards and dangers a drone could cause to low flying aircraft fighting fires. I have been in Aviation for over 30 years and can tell you no pilot wants to hit anything, except maybe for your moron pilot friends as you claim, that don't mind taking bullets in the prop while hunting.
I certainly hope that these pilot friends of yours who don't mind taking bullets in the propeller and aren't concerned about hitting drones in flight, are piloting in the bath tub, because they certainly shouldn't be piloting real aircraft.

As little as you may think, drones do pose a serious risk to low flying aircraft fighting fires. The pilots flying this aircraft are already taking enough risk as it is flying these aircraft at maximum weight, low altitude, poor visability in and around massive smoke clouds.
A drone hit or impact could very easily lead to pieces of the drone being injested into the intakes of the engines (Usually Turbo Prop engines on fire fighting aircraft)then leading to a loss of power or engine flameout. At maximum weight low altitude and hot conditions, this is a bad situation.

My main point though is with helicopters which are used most of the time when fighting fires.
If a drone like the Inspire weighing six pounds hits the tail rotor of a helicopter it could very easily lead to the loss of the aircaft. Tail rotors spin much faster than the rotorhead and are precisely balanced therefore they cannot afford to have an impact of a drone.

So....if you happen to see low flying aircraft fighting fires in your area don't be a moron dude, stay the hell out of the skies!!! Get your aerial shots from the news station.
There is no doubt that regulations are coming forth because of people like you.

Dont get me wrong, im not saying you want to hit anything or shoot your prop on purpose, i was simply saying they shot the prop on accident and were still able to land safely.

The likelihood of a collision is very small at any rate but I do agree with you that a helicopter is a whole different animal and that a collision with a helicopter/quad could perhaps have much worse consequences than a aircraft/quad if it hit the tail rotor but if the quad pilot is semi competent its not hard to stay out of the path of any other aircraft, be it plane or chopper.

I dont condone retards flying quads willy nilly in the path of any aircraft by any means, but to say OMG everyone will die if a 747 hits a phantom or inspire is completely ludicrous .

The following is a short video of one of my buddies flying who asked me to take this video. Perfectly safe, please no one have a coronary.

Last edited:
My uncle owns a cessna, and ive flown it years ago when i was 10 years old. Didnt take off or land mind you, but flew it while in the air. Pretty much like driving a car except you can go up and down. The hardest part of flying is landing, haha!

If you read my comments i clearly stated that a prop or windscreen hit could be bad, true enough, my pilot friends concur those are the worst possible spots a small plane and quad copter could collide that are possible/likely to cause catastrophic damage to the small aircraft.

Dont get me wrong, im not condoning flying recklessly in the path of small or large aircraft by any means at all, im all for safe quad copter flying. Im just saying that safe flying above 400ft is easily possible under the right condition with a little common sense and all these media plane vs quad copter stories are nothing more than propaganda fear mongering BS.

The chances of a small aircraft/quad crash causing the aircraft to crash is so minuscule its laughable and a commercial jet vs a quad would result in the commercial aircraft most likely not even knowing it even hit the quad copter. Their engines are designed to ingest birds that are 5x the mass of a small plastic quad copter and if you think a phantom or inspire would even make a commercial jet engine even hiccup you are a ra-tard.

A larger custom hex or octo may possibly do some damage but commercial airlines have 2-3 engines, they can lose lose one and still fly/land safely. To make a commercial airliner crash with a quadcopter would definitely require multiple quads and uncanny precision flying to hit 2-3 engines simultaneously that the chances of it ever happening are slim to none. Unless you were flying right next to the airport while they were taking off or landing Id bet $1000 you couldnt get within 100 yards of a commercial airliner if you were trying your hardest to do so.

Use common sense when you fly and dont play into the BS media fear mongering hype about OMG a commercial airliner saw a quad 2 miles away so they had to emergency land, BS MO FO, complete retardation fear mongering propaganda is all that is. It would be like hitting a bug with your car, it might make a smear spot but its not gonna kill you.

Obviously I can't continue to beat a dead horse with this info but I'll throw these out there one last time:
-during fires planes and helis are low. Lower than 500ft a LOT.
-comercial planes can not take all of these hits and "just loosing one engine" is a big deal. (Just start to picture the story)
-when flying we are looking for birds tiny birds, so we can stay alive, never mind big plastic ones.
-ever see a person commit suicide by jumping in water? High speeds make everything solid. Bird, quad, and lead ball will all do about the same thing at 110 knots and that's a slow plane.
-if you are not a pilot and you think otherwise you very obviously do not have the experience or knowledge to comment and all of your pilot friends and family mean nothing because you use them as fake references and that doesn't hold up with me because I do not believe for a second a real pilot would agree with any of you.

This subject is not a matter of opinion. It is about what is safe and what is not regardless of the odds. When it comes to lives you err on the side of caution and even at slim odds the dangers are way too high. If you can not see that then we agree to disagree and please stay away from NY as I am flying real planes here and I depend on the laws to stay alive.

Reactions: InspiredOne
Obviously I can't continue to beat a dead horse with this info but I'll throw these out there one last time:
-during fires planes and helis are low. Lower than 500ft a LOT.
-comercial planes can not take all of these hits and "just loosing one engine" is a big deal. (Just start to picture the story)
-when flying we are looking for birds tiny birds, so we can stay alive, never mind big plastic ones.
-ever see a person commit suicide by jumping in water? High speeds make everything solid. Bird, quad, and lead ball will all do about the same thing at 110 knots and that's a slow plane.
-if you are not a pilot and you think otherwise you very obviously do not have the experience or knowledge to comment and all of your pilot friends and family mean nothing because you use them as fake references and that doesn't hold up with me because I do not believe for a second a real pilot would agree with any of you.

This subject is not a matter of opinion. It is about what is safe and what is not regardless of the odds. When it comes to lives you err on the side of caution and even at slim odds the dangers are way too high. If you can not see that then we agree to disagree and please stay away from NY as I am flying real planes here and I depend on the laws to stay alive.

as ive said you dont want to get in any aircrafts way obviously and i know they fly lower than 500 ft, you can easily see them and stay out of their flight path, the sky is big. Planes hit birds all the time. my buddies are hitting ducks left and right flying 10ft above the ground spraying at 140mph and i guarantee you a duck is more solid mass than a plastic inspire at that speed and at worst they break the window if they hit it right, but they bounce off the wings doing nothing.

Im not throwing $3000 up in the air trying to make it disappear in a 1000 pieces, use common sense buddy, I wanna be just as safe as the guy in the plane, trust me.

Commercial airliners have multiple engines which are designed to ingest large birds and keep functioning so if you wanted to take one down with drones you would need multiple large custom drones and have to simultaneously hit every engine which is virtually impossible without having so many large drones that the pilot could easily see and avoid them.
I am a retired Air Traffic Control Supervisor. I have seen a single bird take out a large jet's engine on more that one occasion. Yes, they made it back to the runway and landed safely in all 5 cases, but it scared the hell out of EVERYONE on the aircraft and cost 1M or more to replace each engine. A drone such as an Inspire 1 would definitely take out an engine and could easily go through an aircraft windshield. I even saw a golf ball go through one aircraft's windshield! It doesn't take much to do damage to aircraft.

Reactions: Mazz
Their engines are designed to ingest birds that are 5x the mass of a small plastic quad copter and if you think a phantom or inspire would even make a commercial jet engine even hiccup you are a ra-tard.

This BS and the news out of Charlotte today convinces me that it's just a matter of time until the FAA grounds us all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide